Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Jun 19, 5:53 AM
    • 7,396Posts
    • 44,269Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 10th June?
    • 10th Jun 19, 5:53 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 10th June? 10th Jun 19 at 5:53 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 4
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Jun 19, 8:59 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Tidying, decluttering and getting organised here too.

So far today
    * ys bread for ds1's breakfast with eggs as usual
    * ds2 to free school breakfast club
    * whilst there I dropped of 2 big carrier bags of books the boys have out grown, some coloured sheets of plastic that we got to see if they helped ds2 with his reading - they didn't so school can use them for another child or cut them up for crafts and some large envelopes that come with the rm surveys, I have plenty so they may as well save some money and make use of them. The school were so pleased which made a nice start to the day.
    * gym session done to make the most of my membership, works out at less then 80p a visit also refilled my water bottle there as usual!
    * rm survey

Still to do
    # dentist later for a check up, I've been having some toothache so not expecting a cheap visit as expected, hospital referral to have one of my wisdom teeth extracted. Only cost me 14.30 today for check up and an xray as I'm lucky to have an NHS dentist.
    # check banking/update spreadsheet done, mid month not much happening
    # wash a load on the quick wash, done will have to hang inside though as the weather is awful
    # finally get round to making that fish pie from yesterday
    # shop at aldeee from list stuck to the list too, popped into icylnad on the way past to get frozen peas as we weren't keen on the aldee ones, was able to use a love2shop voucher from rm for these though
    # make families lunches for tomorrow - waiting to here from dh about wfh tomorrow or not, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    # move some books around in the boys rooms now they have a bit more space (all books should fit on their book shelves now I hope, I don't like seeing them piled up next to the eldests bed with a glass of water stood on top of them! so much better now!
    # message a friend to offer her a school top instead of buying another done and another thing that is leaving the house
    # more drawer/cupboard sorting to be done
    ** using a reclaimed rm envelope, I've send some files to family back up North and used a stamp from doing Rm surveys too
    Thats my starter, I've finished my coffee so better get on!

Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 13th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 5,617 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning guys, DS at pre school until 1 o'clock today, I've spent all morning doing some paperwork, trying to minimise my bills as much as possible. Writing letters to inform people of my address change! DS is staying with his Dad tonight, so I just need to do dinner for us and then I'll have a few more hours to finish my paper work tonight. My list for today:

- Check online banking
    - Write letters to change address
    - Go to post office and get stamps for letters
    - Post DMP paperwork
    - Few bits of housework
    - B/L/D from home

Nothing exciting here today! The weather is horrible here. Have a good day all x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Back hanging my head in shame
    DMP start date: 01/07/2019 | Total debt as of 23/06/2019: 3883
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jun 19, 12:26 PM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 46,193 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Rotten night's sleep due to next door's dogs barking till late and OH's cold Decamped to spare room (couldn't hear dogs barking or OH crashing about from up there, as it is on a different floor, but not much sleep was had!
    Anyway, our elderly camper van passed its MOT this morning with no advisories We did have a lot of work done to it last year, but because they seem to keep changing the requirements, I didn't really know what to expect.
    Horrible weather here as well
    It did stop raining for a while yesterday evening so I did manage to get a couple of garden jobs done - no chance today by the looks of it!

Not much done today so far:
    HG strawberries for breakfast
    Walked dog, even though it was raining - he won't usually go if it is raining!
    Checked banks, no surprises
    Made scrambled eggs (gifted eggs from DD's hens and ducks) on the last bits of a loaf, toasted, for lunch
    We will have the other half of the pasta bake I made yesterday for dinner, with freshly cooked vegetables.
    I think I will follow 1LL's and BB's lead and do some decluttering this afternoon

• ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 13th Jun 19, 8:50 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    ditty1234
    NSD
    Cover work today
    Am pondering big money drop tomorrow; on every day stuff and a post exam mini break for boys
    Not feeling very MSE
    Although I try not to count all the things I'm not doing!
    This afternoon got home from work early, cooked chicken dish in slow cooker, baked a cake and ate everything in the wrong order while chilling with boys. Lovely afternoon, and no extra spending or extravaganza :-)

Have updated signature as am now back to scratching away at my debt, at a slower but more sustainable pace and not paying interest. Am feeling so much better. And am slowly taking up doing other things like running and this Saturday will be the big garage day(clear out), hoping it's not raining.
    Oh and made 3 on populus live this morning. Will eventually cash in.
    LBM Jan 2019 -25.928/-24.510 5% paid off
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 700 in August 2019/EF 150 October 2019
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 13th Jun 19, 9:19 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Evening all, all meals from stores today. DD1 has started counselling so that is an expense but she has had MH issues for a few years and not getting anywhere with NHS so we are sharing the cost. While she was there I had a nice walk in the rain Been to pilates tonight - course already paid for. Really cold but resisted putting on the heating. Made lunch for tomorrow, working at an event till late evening so will get a meal voucher so no spend required. Deni x
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,370.05/4,500

2 savers club 33
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Jun 19, 7:20 AM
    • 7,396 Posts
    • 44,269 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning day off today I've been working so hard recently with all the decorating and I could really do with a relaxing day but too much to do. Will try to get an hour in just doing something for fun...

* drop madam off at school. Pick up oh and take him to work - his car is in the garage
    * go for a run
    * load of washing in machine and will hang out. Looks like a good drying day so will do another load afterwards
    * start personal statement for masters through work. I'm not sure I want to do it anymore but don't want to close my options!
    * first coat of gloss in madam's room
    * take library books back - pay fines
    * take madam to eye appt. She will have to have drops which she hates as she can't see properly for hours afterwards
    * water greenhouse plants
    * film, popcorn, pizza and lots of cuddles with madam when we get back
    * make pattern using dress I already own

Ok that will do. Happy Friday y'all x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Jun 19, 8:16 AM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 19,204 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Oooh, thanks CLF and everyone else on the bread maker tips. Yeah, I will defo try FB marketplace - can totally imagine it's the sort of thing people use a couple of times and sell on a year later... Buying it will cut into my 'selling on FB' tally though Have made 180 so far (all my sales minus my buys) so I defo don't want to spend too much on one

I need to sort YNAB - for some reason I decided to lump together spends on 'Groceries' and 'Household spends' but now I think they'd be better split out - but maybe that is just because our groceries spends are good but our household spends are out of control...

Just the usual from me but I'll think about a wee list while I feed baba
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 7,396 Posts
    • 44,269 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi everyone

Oooh, thanks CLF and everyone else on the bread maker tips. Yeah, I will defo try FB marketplace - can totally imagine it's the sort of thing people use a couple of times and sell on a year later... Buying it will cut into my 'selling on FB' tally though Have made 180 so far (all my sales minus my buys) so I defo don't want to spend too much on one

I need to sort YNAB - for some reason I decided to lump together spends on 'Groceries' and 'Household spends' but now I think they'd be better split out - but maybe that is just because our groceries spends are good but our household spends are out of control...

Just the usual from me but I'll think about a wee list while I feed baba
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    La E I have a Morphy Richards fast bake. I got it off ebay for 25 - it is big! I love it and use it every few days. Since we got it maybe 4 months ago I have bought maybe 3 loaves of bread as we had run out. I'm glad I got it
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good afternoon all, I can't believe how quickly the weeks are flying by at the minute

So far I've
    given ds1 ys bread for his toast again as usual & ds2 to free school breakfast club
    gym session done and refilled water bottle there
    dropped 3 large bags off at the charity shop & my dad has taken another big bag to the tip for me so thats 6 bags gone so far this week to school/cs/tip but still quite a bit to sort out
    cut a piece of wood (used to be a desk) to fit under the sofa cushions to firm it up a bit - love shopping from home first! Dh thought we'd have to go and buy a bit of wood specifically for the job.

To do
    check banking/update spreadsheet - move some interest from a maturing account Done and set up a new savings account after checking website of course!
    make the fish pie - DEFINITELY today!
    clean kitchen using star drops/wash able cloths
    continue decluttering
    rm survey done, walked round to the post box with dh, it was nice to have a proper chat with him and get some fresh air and it wasn't raining!
    checked my energy account as per email, I'm in credit but not by much so no action needed
    washed a load on the quick 20 min wash as its dry this afternoon and I've got it out on the line now
    added a 3 amzn gift card to my account from surveys I've done which has promptly been used against a mouse mat for dh!

Hopefully there'll be more to add later!
    Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-06-2019 at 2:12 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Jun 19, 1:10 PM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 46,193 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Rain this morning, but it is dry now and the washing is blowing on the line outside
    So far I have:
    HG strawberries with breakfast
    Walked to supermarket to do shopping - a bit of exercise and no fuel used
    Low spend, lots of shopping from home ATM as I am trying to run down stores / freezers a bit (before I stock up again ). Need to use up 'old' stuff first! I deviated from my list only to buy a jar of the coffee I like, which was on offer 1 cheaper than usual
    Used cheap YS muffin things from freezer for lunchtime sandwiches
    Checked banks and updated spending diary / spreadsheet
    Dug more new potatoes - a couple of the plants look suspiciously yellow and slimy - hope it isn't blight Pretty early for that tbh, but I have dug them up and got rid of the slimy stems! The actual potatoes are fine.

Still to do:
    Another cooking session - I have stuff to use up, and need to make a sweet potato soup and a Thai green chicken curry - and a banana cake as I have 2 brown bananas. Should also make some fish cakes to use up last 2 bought 'old' potatoes. Trying to muster up enthusiasm as we speak! I haven't done the cake yet, but I have made 2 x 2 portions of Thai green chicken curry, now in recycled foil trays ready to freeze, a big tub of spicy sweet potato soup and 8 fish cakes, made from the last couple of old potatoes, an odd sweet potato, parsley from the garden, a few chopped capers and some Lidl tinned fish
    Pop down to local shop as OH has used all the milk on endless cups of tea and didn't tell me in time for shopping this morning. Never mind, I will pop out in a minute - his cold is far too bad for him to be able to go Done
    Dinner can either be something I make this afternoon, or the chilli already in the fridge - if we don't have the chilli, it needs to go in the freezer! OH wants some of the chilli for dinner, so the rest of that can also be frozen, as we will have the fish cakes tomorrow
    Listed one of my (too) many handbags on ebay, a Radley one, so it should go ok
    Might look at making the cake later this evening
    Last edited by DawnW; 14-06-2019 at 4:30 PM.

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Jun 19, 3:25 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 19,204 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Ooh fab DNMS - that's the one I've got! 15 off FB marketplace Going to collect it either tonight or tomorrow so I will pester you for recipes. Added bonus is that I can leave it out and it can hide the bit of dodgy tiling on the kitchen wall.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 31,849 Thanks
    foxgloves
    La E - A good book is "The complete bread machine cookbook" by Sonia Allison. I've kept my copy even though I no longer have a bread maker, as it has a really eclectic range of recipes. I often see it in charity shops, so it could be worth you keeping an eye out.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 217
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 46,193 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Well, in a mad moment at about 9pm yesterday evening I took down the kitchen curtains and washed them, wiped the windowsill, frame, surrounding area down and cleaned the window. I even took down the curtain pole and cleaned that, put the rings and hooks in a bowl of hot soapy water to soak. So this morning I have pegged the curtains out on the line, hoping they dry before the inevitable rain, and put the curtain pole back up They are vintage cotton curtains, nothing fancy, and shouldn't take long to dry.
    I have also:
    Sold an ebay item

Washed hair, clipped it back to stop it getting curly and left it to dry naturally
    Mixed up a banana cake and popped it in the oven
    Washed up and cleared sink area, sorted dishwasher etc

Now listening for baby GS as he is asleep upstairs while his mum and sister go shopping
    We have HM soup and fishcakes to feed everyone
    Not sure what else the day will bring, but hope you all have a good one!

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Jun 19, 7:13 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

We had a nice day yesterday, we took my parents, sis & niece out for a meal for Father's day. We used 33 worth of mr T clubcard vouchers converted to 99 worth of chef and brewers vouchers. I definitely wouldn't have paid 99 in cold hard cash for the lunch but we had a nice time and was able to fit in a walk around the nearby park between showers. The only problem was that after having such a big lunch we spent the rest of the day feeling lethargic.

Todays plans
    # pop fathers day card into my dads
    # booked a badminton court, ds1's foot is still sore but he'd like to have a try
    # go to the cinema - no effect on the budget as this is using cinema vouchers paid for from xmas money given to us from my MIL. Going to go at lunchtime so will take packed lunches with us
    # make families lunches for tomorrow
    # busy week coming up with ds2/school - they've got a week full of activities with other feeder schools getting ready to move up to the secondary school in September - so I need to double check the planner for as and when he needs extra packed lunches and extra clothes.
    # all meals from stores

That's it from me, take care all.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Jun 19, 7:35 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 17,564 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

La E - I'm glad that the breadmaker advice was useful

I'm very naughty and didn't get on here over the weekend again. I was angelic and did manage to distract OH's rumblings about "lunch out" on Friday though! Also managed to go into nearby large town on Thursday and even avoid paying for a coffee!

I spent some of my own money on a large canvas because I had a particular painting in mind. I spent Friday evening/night working on it and I am absolutely thrilled with how it came out. I haven't painted in about 15 years, and not properly since doing my art A-level (it sucked a lot of the joy out of art for me!).

Today I'm tired. Didn't sleep well the previous night as OH went on a stag do and forgot his keys, so I'm still catching up. And I'll be honest, i wasn't looking forward to going back into work after how horrible last week was. It is sorted now, but I'm probably a bit softer inside than I let on and I think that the shocks to the CNS will take longer to settle down. Luckily after this week I'm off for 10 days

Today's mission:
    B/D from stores
    Going to buy L I think from own money as could not face tuna salad from home
    Charge phone in work
    Used some bath water to flush the loo
    Poss cast on sock

Not really sure what else - not much going on as it's a work day

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 16-06-2019 at 9:08 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019

SAVINGS: 8500
    Car final lump sum: 1150/6113
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 46,193 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    My curtains dried, so I have rehung them, and that area of the kitchen looks much better
    Weather is still awful, though we do now get brief bouts of sunshine between all the rain

Just been to the most rubbish car boot sale ever However, the usual market stalls were there, and I bought 3 packs of posh sausages, 3 packs of bacon and 3 blocks of posh cheese from my favourite one, all for 15. Must freeze most of it in a minute.
    We have been invited round to DS's and his girlfriend's house for lunch, for Fathers Day. We hardly ever see DS, even though he lives quite close, so it will be nice to catch up.
    I have walked the dog.
    No great plans for the rest of the day -the front garden could do with tidying and lots of things need cutting back, but I suppose it is more likely than not to be raining later on

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 20,011 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

I didn't manage to get on yesterday either, was feather busy with one thing and another. Today will hopefully be a little quieter:
    Pegged one wash out, another to go out shortly. It'll be raining later, but hopefully some of it will dry before then
    Small to prepaid activity
    I'll do for a run in a minute
    Mince out of freezer for tea, meal planning being stuck to
    Quick vac/clean through
    Keep an eye on cat, we had to take him to the vets yesterday as something hadn't healed. He's looking more himself today will avoid costly op if he's better by Tuesday
    Watch a film with family later
    Possibly pop out, DH and I both have our weekly gifted coffee so will use that if we do and take drinks for the smalls

Have a good day all. Purps.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 16th Jun 19, 11:05 AM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 19,204 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Thanks CLF. Hope things at work settle down for you...

I've been getting addicted to buying cloth nappies on special offer!! Think we have enough now until she is 18lb (she's only 7 and a half lb now) so I can hopefully stop spending!

I made a HM loaf Going to have bacon butties now.

Think OH is making a curry later with leftover chicken and veg

Let my hair dry naturally yesterday and didn't bother washing it today

Sorted through one drawer of the freezer! Shame to say I did have to get rid of some food but glad I know what's in there now and am not wasting energy storing food we will never use...

Happy Sunday everyone!
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 16th Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 5,617 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Afternoon everyone, I've been feeling a bit rough the last few days, heady and a sore throat but the last 2 days its really come out, hot/cold, stuffy head and sore throat, no cold or cough though so very strange? I managed to power through my shift at work last night and wanted a chill day today but I had to go out and do the food shopping and then pop into town so I've only just sat down after waking up at 8am this morning!

DS is with his Dad until 5.30 so at least I've got a few hours to chill out, dose up and try and feel human again!

List for today:

- Food shopping - Used 5 off 20 coupon from the newspaper for Lidl
    - Pop into town, return some bits and pick up a new extension lead
    - Check online banking - Not good!
    - No cleaning today, need to chill out!
    - List a few little bits on FB marketplace and Ebay

A little list today, hope everyone is ok x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Back hanging my head in shame
    DMP start date: 01/07/2019 | Total debt as of 23/06/2019: 3883
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 16th Jun 19, 1:52 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Had a bit of a crisis with my EF yesterday. Boys have gone to see my mom in an other country and as they are more broke than me I gave the m 50 for transport and hopefully a little flower for my mom and I have now used my whole budget for June as I am also trying to stay within budget while paying for my new driving license, which I have to retake from scratch. I also took boys to airport - am delighted to do so, but their trip which they supposedly paid for themselves is now costing me: 15 towards one flight, 30 (2 trips to airport) 50 travel money and 5 parking so a total of 100. So while I am upset to dip into EF/budget account I am also delighted they want to go and see my mom. But it also explains where my money goes :-) (so far I have also spent 120 towards my DL - this is part of my personal post Brexit 'citizenship' list which is set to run at 130/monh for about a year and a half!)
    On the MSE side fo things I managed to make a lovely dinner yesterday for both boys, now done with exams and do a weekly shop (just for me, as they are away) for 40.
    So Basically my EF/budget account is working, and it is time go go on FB market place to unload a bunch of rubbish from garage.
    Have spent all morning just tidying up, and cleaning, secretly enjoying to be by myself.
    This list is such an inspiration.
    LBM Jan 2019 -25.928/-24.510 5% paid off
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 700 in August 2019/EF 150 October 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,057Posts Today

7,553Users online

Martin's Twitter