Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    • 5,523Posts
    • 62,116Thanks
    Jazee
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th June 2019
    • 9th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th June 2019 9th Jun 19 at 7:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th June 2019
    Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Open windows, loud music and hearty singing is an absolute must for every days activities.. it is good for the lungs!

Marvellous Monday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One …
    Open the windows and turn on some music!
    Wipe and water the plants
    Clean all mirrors and flat horizontal surfaces
    Level Two…
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, any fluffy electricals and defluff behind the radiators!
    Wipe paintwork esp skirting boards and any grubby marks off walls etc
    Level Three …
    Wipe all door handles and light switches
    Vacuum under any furniture you can.. please don't injure yourselves!
    Clean any other glass like cabinets, pictures etc
    Wash front door inside and out

Shake out all door mats
    Extras
    • Clear a hotspot or 3! If neccesary, just put in a bag/box to sort out in a HHC
    • Clean light shades/fittings and lamps
    • Wash a pair of curtains, or some nets or a throw from a chair
    • Wash pet beds
    • If you want to get ahead for tomorrow, change some bedding.
    Terrific Tuesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One …
    Open the window and air the room
    Strip off smelly bedding and sling it in the wash, replace well before bedtime!
    Dust all those flat & mirrored surfaces
    Level Two …
    Wipe all door handles & switches
    Sort your underwear drawer, get rid of anything past it's best
    Vacuum the carpets
    Level Three …
    Make sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (do not set fire to anything.. just press the button!!)
    While you've got the hoover out, run it over the rest of the house (stuff in the way? -put in in your hotspot box/bag to sort later)
    Sort out your jewellery, find some different earrings or similar to wear
    Remove some cobwebs and wipe over the light shades

Extras

• Wash any curtains that need doing
    • HHI
    • Get ahead for tomorrow - remove anything from the kitchen that shouldn't be there
    • S&S the bathrooms
    • Take 15 mins to do something just for you - read a book, knitting, paint your nails, whatever brings a smile to your face
    Wonderful Wednesday - Kitchen Kapers
    Level One
    Open the blinds/curtains and let in the light.
    Clear and wipe the worksurfaces
    Sweep & mop the floor
    Level Two
    Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
    Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
    Clean kickboards - in a bad mood, kick them and see if they do their job!
    Clean out microwave – a little lemon in a bowl of water heated up for 5 mins makes it a a lot easier to clean.
    Level Three
    Shine the grotty windows
    Wipe all switches and door handles

Drag everything out of the plastic tub cupboard.. wipe it out and put back the bits you are keeping that actually have lids.
    Extras

• Clean out your hoover.
    • Clean the radiator including behind it
    • Start sorting anything you've accumulated from hotspots this week, put where it belongs or get rid
    • Deweb
    • Clean tiles including grouting

Thrilling Thursday- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One …

Clean & wash floors in these rooms
    Polish mirrors
    Clean hair brushes and make up brushes
    Level Two …
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside and under the rim and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush!!!!
    Dust PC and clear any clutter from desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
    Do some shredding.
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three …
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Tidy the airing cupboard, get rid of anything past its best or just not used. The local dog rescue will be grateful
    HHG.. Weeds are really easy to pull out now that it's rained so much

Extras…

• Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Top up the handwash dispensers
    • Check stocks of toilet roll and essential toiletries
    • Sort the medicine cabinet
    • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc whatever needs cleaning.
    • HHI... a bit more gone!

Fantastic Friday - a bit of everything

Get out the feather duster and just go round dewebbing where you can and dusting high up places.
    Grab a microfibre cloth and go round wiping all flat surfaces
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    Get the ironing out of the way before the weekend
    Whizz the hoover round
    Last edited by Jazee; 13-06-2019 at 6:49 PM.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Oct £55.62 Total 2019 - £4283.17/£5k
Page 4
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 62,116 Thanks
    Jazee
    Dailies and dog walk done. Final wash in machine.
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 14th Jun 19, 2:54 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Packing nearly done.
    WM on again, there is now nothing even slightly dirty in this house
    Quick shop and then it's the weekend
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 14th Jun 19, 4:12 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Paid stuff done! Thank goodness it’s Friday!

Visitors all day tomorrow so I need to go and do the food shop now, will then need to do a speedy fly around the house in the morning before they arrive. Everything looks pretty ok to be honest, just some tidying away and a quick vac plus a s/s of main bathroom will be in order I think.

Anyway, I’m off to the supermarket, Something very simple for tea tonight I think!

Have a nice evening all
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Jun 19, 4:57 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Errrrr so apparently I didnít list this morning when I thought I did! Not that I had a lot to say. Full day at work. Just got home. Seems that itís my turn to cook again. However we are now officially an exam free house, which is a relief.
    This weekend will be list catch up.
    Good luck Mademoiselle with the moving and settling in.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 15th Jun 19, 6:42 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 22,113 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    I hope Dizzy is ok, as I am sure she lives in a flood zone area, with all this water I hope her flood defences are working as they should be after last time, when she had to move out for months and months
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    Hello from soggy Wales! The Ark is out, as have been our flood barriers, but we are OK! Thank you for thinking of me xxx

I keep meaning to participate in the thread, but I'm hopeless!

Big hugs to everyone xxx
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 15th Jun 19, 7:23 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    Morning all,

It's actually sunny here! Kids are fed and dressed, WM is on, one load is on the line, DW unloaded. I will get dressed shortly and we will have a walk to the library. Have lovely weekends all xx
    • nicki
    • By nicki 15th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    Morning all.

Didn't post yesterday as I got stuck in to some sewing repairs after doing my dailies then got a text from DS at 11.15 to go meet him at the bus stop as he wasn't feeling well. Dragged him into A1di on the pretence of "picking up some bread" and got 4 big bags full of stuff which is the weekly shop. I knew if I said "help me do the weekly shop" he'd moan, complain and irritate all the way round, but he was willing to "just pick up bread" Okay, so a normal shop in there would cost me about £20 and this one cost me £35 BUT I got a pork joint to make pulled pork which was £5, some cider for DS, pizza for tea (which wasn't planned) and some comfort food/snack stuff for over the weekend, plus plenty of fruit and 4 loaves of bread...so at least I didn't fib about the bread

We got in, DS ate and then fell asleep on the sofa so I didn't dare to do anything that might wake him. So I read for a bit then taking the dog with me, I pottered quietly upstairs. I then had work last night.

Up early today as I have quite a few things I want to get done and there's a man coming to fix the roof around midday apparently. So the half hour gardening/pulling weeds I wasn't going to do got done to some degree so he wouldn't be tripping over the taller weeds like dandelions. I left what I could for the birds though and they still have had a good hunt this morning. I need to go move some paving slabs from by the back gate later (they block the gap under it therefore preventing any rats getting in - I've had this set up since we got the dog), and I'll clean the yard with some disinfectant as well while I'm out there.

Going to update my list (if it's gone it's done), go turf DS out of bed (He's off out with ex today for their weekly visit so needs to shower etc), and get my dailies upstairs done. I'll also sort out a wash load while I'm there. It'll be drying inside anyway so won't be in the way for the roofer.

Monday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level Three Ö
    Wash front door
    Extras
    Clean light shades/fittings and lamps - 1 done but I can't reach the other without a helping hand.

Tuesday ~ Master Bedroom
    Extras
    Wash any curtains that need doing
    S&S the bathrooms

Wednesday - Kitchen Kapers
    Level One
    Mop the floor
    Level Two
    Clean kickboards - in a bad mood, kick them and see if they do their job!
    Level Three
    Shine the grotty windows
    Extras
    Clean out your hoover.
    Clean the radiator including behind it
    Clean tiles including grouting

Thursday- Bathroom and Desk Area
    Level One
    Wash floors in these rooms
    Polish mirrors
    Level Two Ö
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside and under the rim and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush!!!!
    Do some shredding.
    Level Three Ö
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!

Fantastic Friday - a bit of everything
    Grab a microfibre cloth and go round wiping all flat surfaces
    Get the ironing out of the way before the weekendWhizz the hoover round

Sounds like DS is already up so I'm going to go get my dailies done upstairs.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 62,116 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok.

On my own this morning, so planning to get dressed after finishing my cuppa, then start laying new tiles on floor in bathroom. Also plan to do some weeding in the garden.

Lovely to see sunshine for a change. Have a great day everyone.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Jun 19, 8:26 AM
    • 10,971 Posts
    • 130,639 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Up at silly o'clock as I forgot to turn the heating off from when it was cold earlier onthis week.

2 x WM done out on line
    Sun out for now
    OH and I have been and walked around the park so step count is already 9K

Other boring stuff to do today

Glad you are ok Dizzy
    Sun, Sea

• Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 15th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning
    Taking hope from all your reports of sunshine - itís rained already this morning and still cold and grey.
    Bad nightís sleep listening to DH snore.
    Today is fly day. DD wants to use all the cleaning cloths known to man plus the vacuum cleaner. I donít want to stand in her way as her room is a pit, so I need to get going before she is up. The utility room is also one complete hotspot so that needs sorting.
    First of all another cup of tea while I make a list.
    Have a lovely day all.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 62,116 Thanks
    Jazee
    First square metre of floor tiles down. Just having another cuppa.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 15th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 13,071 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Morning

And breathe.... I'm feeling overwhelmed by life and tired, so tired And I don't know why - so far I've blamed: the weather, white bread, hormones, post viral fatigue, a bug, anxiety - Dad is having blood tests. Maybe I should just accept it's my old pal, black dog, visiting Whatever it is I woke up with it on Wednesday morning and - hmmm hang on a minute I did nothing except the washing last weekend, I didn't do my usual Weekend Willi catch-up. Oh toot - I bet I was sliding then and didn't realise it. Right - I'll stop beating myself up and get ye olde copinge strategies dusted off.

Thank you ladies. You provide a safe place to untangle fog!

I need to write things down and prioritise - too many ideas coming at me at once makes me freeze and do nothing.

I'm at the hairdressers at 12. I've got the money ready in my purse. I don't want to go, but my hair needs cutting and I will write a list and call at Mr C00p on the way home.

WM x1 is done (underwear); WM x2 is swishing - shirts for DS next week.

I'll check the forecast and peg out if it's going to stay fine.

So: check forecast; peg out or airer; C00p list.

And breathe.... It's a start.

Rxx
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 15th Jun 19, 10:08 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 13,071 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Weather forecast said there was a chance of showers this afternoon which led to shall I? / shan't I? peg out. The sun was shining - I pegged out. Socks are pegged to airer and stood outside. 3rd load (trousers) is swishing in WM as there is some line left to hang it on. and now it has clouded over and looks like rain Fingers crossed it will blow over.
    I've also made the bed, sloshed bleach down the loo, fed the birds, put out the rubbish and replaced bin bags, put out some recycling. made a shopping list and placed it in my bag - so I don't forget it!, and crossed off the calendar. Last cross was 1st June - definitely been some slippage here

I'm going to wash a bowl of pots now - then we'll have clean cutlery (like normal people )

Rxx
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 15th Jun 19, 10:47 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Coffee stop.
    Rhubarb jam made. Kitchen given a bit of a clean. Floor swept and mopped. Completely impractical to do that when everyone is in but I needed to know that it was done.
    LR also vacuumed. I looked at the DR, decided that it didnít look too bad and shut the door. Job done.
    A quick slurp of coffee then itís the downstairs toilet to tackle.

Round - youíre doing great. Keep posting, hun.
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 15th Jun 19, 11:48 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    Library visited, lunch made, DH building new gate for back garden, kids playing outside, WM been on a 90 wash with soda crystals in, some business paperwork done.

SiL calling round at 2pm for a cuppa, which may be a cheeky vino instead x
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 15th Jun 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 27,761 Thanks
    short_bird
    Morning

And breathe.... I'm feeling overwhelmed by life and tired, so tired And I don't know why - so far I've blamed: the weather, white bread, hormones, post viral fatigue, a bug, anxiety - Dad is having blood tests. Maybe I should just accept it's my old pal, black dog, visiting
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    dashes in... Vitamin D levels checked??... dashes out
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 15th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 13,071 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Round - you’re doing great. Keep posting, hun.
    Originally posted by Fayolle
    Thank you xx

dashes in... Vitamin D levels checked??... dashes out
    Originally posted by short_bird
    I had considered anaemia as a possible cause, but not thought of Vitamin D. Thank you xx

I've had my hair cut and now have my fingers crossed that my hairdresser's sheep recovers from her illness. Popped in to Mr C00p and shopped - spent enough to claim a free box of chocolates Third WM load was hung out before I went out, and one bowl of pots WULTD except for cutlery which was WUDUPA. (I didn't have time to DUPA all of it).

If the washing is dry I'm going to bring it in. Then DUPA the rest of the pots and rip up two cardboard boxes for recycling.

Rxx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jun 19, 1:20 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 62,116 Thanks
    Jazee
    Round, and everyone, you're all doing great and there's no such thing as normal people!

3/5ths of the bathroom floor now tiled, my knees are done in so I'm just chilling for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow is another day. Father’s Day- we have plans but it'll be blooming difficult this year.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 15th Jun 19, 1:42 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 13,071 Thanks
    roundtuit
    If the washing is dry I'm going to bring it in. Then DUPA the rest of the pots and rip up two cardboard boxes for recycling.
    Originally posted by roundtuit
    Washing dry so brought it in; folded and put on the airer. I don't iron - I wash carefully. Pots DUPA. Bowl reloaded. Cardboard ripped and recycled + a box that DS had received a delivery in yesterday. (DS and GF came in whilst I was folding clean washing). I've also changed the towels in the bathroom. Oh, and I decanted bird seed from a carrier bag in to the designated container. And 6 cans rinsed and recycled. Every little helps

Thank you Jazee xx Hugs for tomorrow xx

Rxx
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 15th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hi all

Visitors just left. Lovely time had and nice lunch munched. I flew around the house this morning before they arrived. As I have been staying on top of things though it only took about an hour to do that and a s/s of kitchen and bathrooms.

Was sunny here this morning but we now have torrential rain, thunder and lightning! Have put a load in WM but that will definitely be going on the airer when done!

Father’s Day will be tough here too as I lost my Dad last June, just going to have a nice quiet day with DH, maybe a walk or something if weather is kind. Hugs to those in need xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,842Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter