Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • selinek
    • By selinek 8th Jun 19, 5:28 AM
    • 64Posts
    • 40Thanks
    selinek
    Unauthorised Search
    • 8th Jun 19, 5:28 AM
    Unauthorised Search 8th Jun 19 at 5:28 AM
    Hi. I would appreciate some advice on where to check this out. I have noticed an anti money laundering search on my credit karma account , formally Noddle. I have not applied for any credit. I understand this search is usually done when I have applied for a loan in the past. I am concerned especially as I have excellent credit. Search was made 5/06/19 so if suspicious may have caught early.

The search was made by
    Tsb Bank 2 (Ml, Cval)
    Tsb Bank 2 (Cval Ml

Your help would ease my slightly worried mind
Page 1
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Jun 19, 6:02 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Jun 19, 6:02 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 6:02 AM
    Have you applied for anything with TSB or do you have any existing products with them?
    • selinek
    • By selinek 8th Jun 19, 6:09 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    selinek
    • 8th Jun 19, 6:09 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 6:09 AM
    Hi Boo_star
    No. I had a current account with TSB that closed in 2015. My last loan application was in March this year with Admiral. Not aware they are part of TSB group
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 8th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    I've had the same thing this week and have lodged a complaint with them, but have not heard anything further from them aside to the automatic acknowledgment as it was done online.

Mine also had the word 'batch'.

My searches led me to believe it's nothing to be concerned with, but I've previously had financial products with them and am no longer at the address I was when I was with them.
    • Fiona CW
    • By Fiona CW 8th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Fiona CW
    Was it a hard search or a soft search?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Jun 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:14 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:14 AM
    Was it a hard search or a soft search?
    Originally posted by Fiona CW
    It's a money laundering search, not a credit search.
    • Fiona CW
    • By Fiona CW 8th Jun 19, 9:26 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Fiona CW
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:26 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:26 AM
    I didn't know they showed on your credit report. Probably need to phone TSB
    • Fiona CW
    • By Fiona CW 8th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Fiona CW
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    https://www.tsb.co.uk/fraud-prevention-centre/
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 8th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    It's highly unlikely to be anything if there isn't also a credit search to go along with it and besides, that page is aimed at current customers, there isn't anything relating to ID fraud against non-customers.
    • Fiona CW
    • By Fiona CW 8th Jun 19, 10:11 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Fiona CW
    It's highly unlikely to be anything if there isn't also a credit search to go along with it and besides, that page is aimed at current customers, there isn't anything relating to ID fraud against non-customers.
    Originally posted by boo_star

If you don't think it is anything then why are you posting on here asking for advice??? Surely if you phone one of those numbers they should at least be able to direct you to the relevant department.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 4,373 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    If you don't think it is anything then why are you posting on here asking for advice??? Surely if you phone one of those numbers they should at least be able to direct you to the relevant department.
    Originally posted by Fiona CW
    Because boo_star isn’t the OP asking for advice?
    • selinek
    • By selinek 8th Jun 19, 2:26 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    selinek
    Hi... I Am the OP

I have spoken to TSB customer services who advised I take search details to a branch, which I did. They have done some preliminary checks , nothing has come up. I was told they will investigate further and get back to me. Hopefully it is nothing just seems odd to to have an anti M L search by a company I have no dealings with. When I receive a response either way I will post on here . Might be helpful for any one else that finds themselves in the same position.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Jun 19, 3:41 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Hi... I Am the OP

I have spoken to TSB customer services who advised I take search details to a branch, which I did. They have done some preliminary checks , nothing has come up. I was told they will investigate further and get back to me. Hopefully it is nothing just seems odd to to have an anti M L search by a company I have no dealings with. When I receive a response either way I will post on here . Might be helpful for any one else that finds themselves in the same position.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
    Originally posted by selinek
    Once I hear back about my complaint I will post details up too.

I've subscribed to the thread to find it easier
    • Fiona CW
    • By Fiona CW 9th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Fiona CW
    Hope it all works out ok
    • Lozza60
    • By Lozza60 12th Jun 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lozza60
    Credit search
    I’ve just checked my old Noddle account and have discovered that TSB have conducted the same search on me for ‘money laundering’ last week. The address they have used is an old address and I have no affiliation with TSB whatsoever. I have not applied for any credit or finance. I will be popping into a TSB branch and make an enquiry/complaint about this. My credit rating is excellent and it worries me that maybe, as happened to a friend of mine, that his identity had been stolen. Will let you know and keep an eye on this thread too
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 12th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    Just to clear up a relevant point; there is no such thing as an unauthorised search. Any organisation that has access to the CRA databases does not need your permission to either carry out searches or post data about you. They just need a valid reason for doing so. However, the definition of what constitutes a valid reason is so vague that just about anything goes.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 13th Jun 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Quick update, I have spoken with them this morning, they are looking into my complaint, have taken my new address and will write to me with the outcome of their investigation; they did confirm they can see I've not had any products with them for a considerable amount of time and I explained depending on the outcome / their response I reserve the right to refer back to them with a further complaint as necessary, which was agreed by the guy looking into this for me.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 13th Jun 19, 11:32 AM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Candyapple
    MovingForwards and selinek - have you both checked the other 2 CRAs - did the search show up on those too?

Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 13th Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    MovingForwards and selinek - have you both checked the other 2 CRAs - did the search show up on those too?

Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    So far nothing is showing on the others, but they have yet to update; I am waiting for the new report and check each month they do. I check Noddle / karma weekly as that's updated every 7 days.
    • selinek
    • By selinek 13th Jun 19, 4:06 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    selinek
    Quick update, I have spoken with them this morning, they are looking into my complaint, have taken my new address and will write to me with the outcome of their investigation; they did confirm they can see I've not had any products with them for a considerable amount of time and I explained depending on the outcome / their response I reserve the right to refer back to them with a further complaint as necessary, which was agreed by the guy looking into this for me.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    Good to know, thanks for sharing. My local branch is still investigating . Keep us updated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,426Posts Today

7,467Users online

Martin's Twitter