Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 8th Jun 19, 4:05 AM
    • 298Posts
    • 766Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    The Four D's
    • 8th Jun 19, 4:05 AM
    The Four D's 8th Jun 19 at 4:05 AM
    Eventually doing this, i have spent months lurking and reading some of the fantastic support this forum gives to people. The endless success stories and also the inspirational people and their diaries..too many to mention, don't wanna go on forever in my 1st post but this is time for the journey to begin.

So..the four D's

Diary: I have started this diary loads of times and never posted it! Time to become accountable for actions and fix this fix this and to become me again, i have days of feeling low thinking what a mess, but i realise there are people worse off but i would love to not have debt so i can use current money to pay for memories and experiences with partner and daughter

Debt: Aprox 7k WOW! Would love to say that i own a nice fancy house, with a fantastic car and loads of expensive clothes and that i have experienced the world with lavish holidays....at least i would have something to show for the debt...but nope just stupid decisions and ages of burying my head in the sand

Delusion: Really...i think i can be an home owner even after the mess i have created! I must be crazy..right? Is it even possible to repair the damage done enough to realize that dream?

Determination: I am determined to get this sorted and back on track. One day i will be an homeowner...the journey starts today

Realistically I have a decent income and there is no way i should be struggling to pay stuff off and live well however there is 100% areas i know i can cut down and most of this is on wants rather than needs and i think this is where i struggle. It time to get tough on myself

Sorry for rambling on! Hope anyone reading has a fab weekend whatever they have planned
Page 3
    • lightbulbtime
    • By lightbulbtime 12th Jun 19, 10:58 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    lightbulbtime
    Hi FootyFanDan,

Glad to see you on your journey, seems like you're making headway. I can see you're in a similar position to me and I'm just starting out on my journey too. Would like to know what your spreadsheet looks like as I'm just starting to plan one out now

Good luck!

LightBulbTime
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 13th Jun 19, 8:57 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Hi FootyFanDan,

Glad to see you on your journey, seems like you're making headway. I can see you're in a similar position to me and I'm just starting out on my journey too. Would like to know what your spreadsheet looks like as I'm just starting to plan one out now

Good luck!

LightBulbTime
    Originally posted by lightbulbtime
    Hey LightBulbTime

Thanks for popping by

Yeah my journey in terms of diary as only really just started so i am on the lookout for as many tips as possible to try and make my journey a success. I tend to make a budget and then break it. Over the last few months i have been a lot more strict and cut out on the random takeaways. So its a long way to go but i am slowly making progress.

Oh i love a good old spreadsheet I wanted somewhere i can put in the figures and it would adjust so if i get a bit extra one month then i can pay that figure into the overpay section and shows the impact. I still need to get to grips with tracking all spends so thats the next step. Its pretty basic but does the job for now haha.
    Debt At Start Of Diary (08/06) - 6129
    Current Balance - 4824.85 Paid In Total 1304.65.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Jun 19, 9:37 AM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 14,092 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    You know what you're still gonna enjoy the night and you're making really good progress with the money situation so it's a win win, well done from me!

Dxxx
    DF 2018 12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund 2,400.00
    Goal Weight by 2020 14lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for 100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • janb5
    • By janb5 13th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 7,155 Thanks
    janb5
    [QUOTE=FootyFanDan;75915724]Morning everyone.

It is meant to be summer....right?! Haha

Not really got much planned for today. The little one is at nursery so going to take advantage of the quiet and try sort some of her old toys ready to take to charity shop or hospital at some point. I have tried this a few times but not very successful when the little one is here

Could you sell any of her toys on Ebay or FB? Collection only on Ebay and adjust your listings to include cash on collection. HTH
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 13th Jun 19, 10:02 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    You know what you're still gonna enjoy the night and you're making really good progress with the money situation so it's a win win, well done from me!

Dxxx
    Originally posted by Dolly Rocker

Thanks Dolly. Yeah I am sure I am going to enjoy it either way and I don't have to deal with a crappy 2-3 hour journey home on the Sunday morning . I will have a 30 minute drive home instead .
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 13th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Hey Jan

I never really thought about selling them if i am being honest that seems like a pretty good idea. Thank You. I need to go through a little more today and then I will have an idea of what is there
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 13th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Morning All,

Yesterdays list all completed

- Write down all annual renewal dates and reminders to look for better deals.
    - Go through all my accounts and stop any payments for stuff i no longer use
    - Buy birthday card for sister

I have done a little research on the breakdown cover and i have already paid out in monthly payments what i could have got full cover from GEM..Grrrrr that's is so annoying, but not really sure it is worth changing at all now. If i was to i would lose everything i have paid so far and would result in saving like 26 unless i move to Autoaid which would result in a 56 saving and means i wouldn't be paying monthly.

Have a great day.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 14,092 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Ah that is annoying, have a think about it and make a decision.

Dxxx
    DF 2018 12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund 2,400.00
    Goal Weight by 2020 14lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for 100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • janb5
    • By janb5 13th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 7,155 Thanks
    janb5
    Hey Jan

I never really thought about selling them if i am being honest that seems like a pretty good idea. Thank You. I need to go through a little more today and then I will have an idea of what is there
    Originally posted by FootyFanDan
    If you sell on Ebay Dan then be very careful to add the option pay cash on collection which you scroll down to find under ` other payment options`Otherwise Ebay will assume you`re selling outside Ebay.

Certainly heavier toys would be problematic to sell.

Or have a look at other selling groups such as " Mummy`s Gin Fund"...not sure if it`s available in all areas.

Good luck!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 13th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 10,325 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    On the selling front, most areas have a Facebook selling page too - and that way you'll avoid the eBay fees and it's likely to be people who are local to you so you can typically avoid postage fees, or add a or so for delivery if that works for you/them.
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 13th Jun 19, 9:02 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Evening All,

Thanks Jan & Joey for the selling suggestions, I have managed to sort 85% of what is no longer of use or needed. So I am going to look at condition of them and hopefully get them listed over the next few days.

Today as been a pretty relaxed day, I have not really done too much but that means its been a NSD which is always good.
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 17th Jun 19, 9:04 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Happy Monday!

Hope you have all had a fab weekend. My weekend was a good weekend and not as spendy as expected .

Saturday - I spent the 1st part of the day watching my DD in her drama performance which she loved! It was fab to see her work paying off with her learning her poems and songs/dance Then i went into Leeds with the boys for boxing at the Arena which would normally be quite a spendy day but managed to limit spends. YAY!!!

Sunday - Yesterday was quite a relaxed day spent it playing games with DD and watching films and eating junk, haha.

To Do Today:

Check bank accounts as some payments have come out today.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 17th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 4,870 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Pleased you still managed to enjoy the boxing
    Debt Target #08 - 125/489.06 (25.5%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 4/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: 218
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 17th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Pleased you still managed to enjoy the boxing
    Originally posted by SSDD23
    I did still manage to enjoy. I managed to find cheap enough parking and didn't drink alcohol but still had a decent day. Plus I got to sleep in my own bed rather than stay at a friends and no hangover so win all round ha.
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Evening All,

Today has been a quiet day just spent enjoying some down time, trying to enjoy the remainder of my days off work. It has also been a NSD which is always good. I haven't really done much MSE wise over last few days other than read more diaries.

I've been thinking about targets for begining of July and also thinking about a debt free target. Its strange because ideally i want to debt free ASAP but is it reasonable for me to expect to be debt free within a year? It took way longer to build up the debt. In my head i am thinking every single penny has to go on paying debt and i am not sure that is going to be sustainable. Food for thought i guess.
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 18th Jun 19, 7:21 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Karonher
    You could try a couple of months spending every penny on the debt and then slow down a bit. It would be hard to pay that much off without any treats or anything to look forward to.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2019

Aiming to make 5,000 online in 2019.
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    You could try a couple of months spending every penny on the debt and then slow down a bit. It would be hard to pay that much off without any treats or anything to look forward to.
    Originally posted by Karonher
    Hey Karonher,

i think that is the way i am going to go at it. I reckon if i can do 3 months of hard work, there will have been enough progress made that means there is a few extra pounds spared in the monthly outgoings. There is a few bills that i currently pay monthly that i would love to get cleared ASAP and this would free up a little to allow the treats fund to increase a little. I feel that as long as i see progress and the figure dropping i will be happy.

I am going to work hard at it for 3 months and then assess where I am at then and see what the plan is from there.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 18th Jun 19, 8:09 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Hi Dan

First of all well done on another NSD

Assessing where you are in 3 months sounds like a good plan.

Have you got a plan/date in mind for achieving your first goal of paying your mum back? This may help motivate you on days when you think thing are slow going or difficult.

Take care x
    01/06/19 Total Debt 13,636 11,400 16.40% PAID
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/975 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,600 Family Loan 4,950/4,825
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 8:33 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Hi Dan

First of all well done on another NSD

Assessing where you are in 3 months sounds like a good plan.

Have you got a plan/date in mind for achieving your first goal of paying your mum back? This may help motivate you on days when you think thing are slow going or difficult.

Take care x
    Originally posted by DancingInTheRain
    Hi Dancing

In an ideal world I want my mum cleared off by end of July and looking at the figures that should be possible. If I can achieve that then that will be a huge relief for me as this as been hanging over us a while. Once this goal is achieved I plan to focus elsewhere. I have a couple of monthly commitments that are due to be paid off in August so that seems like a good time to assess where I am at and what position that puts me in going forward and in to xmas period haha.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 18th Jun 19, 8:38 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Sounds like you've thought everything through, good luck! Only 43 days until end of July and achieving goal 1
    01/06/19 Total Debt 13,636 11,400 16.40% PAID
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/975 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,600 Family Loan 4,950/4,825
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,100Users online

Martin's Twitter