Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davylee07
    • By davylee07 7th Jun 19, 7:11 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 3Thanks
    davylee07
    0 WOW
    Tui do not guarantee pre-booked seats
    • 7th Jun 19, 7:11 AM
    0 WOW
    Tui do not guarantee pre-booked seats 7th Jun 19 at 7:11 AM
    We've booked a holiday to Mexico costing over 7000 and pre-booked seats in Premium Economy at 700. Found out a few days ago that TUI had changed our original seats booked, window and aisle, and re-allocated us to centre grouping of seats with no reason given. I asked them to re-assign the seats to the original booking seats and they responded that they will not do this. We were never contacted regarding this - I only established this by chance after paying the second part of our deposit.
    As my wife is not the best "flyer" we have asked them to cancel the holiday if they cannot adhere to our original booking, and refund our full deposit. They will not refund the deposit.
    The real kicker in their email response is:
    "I apologise if this is not the outcome you had anticipated, but we must remain fair and consistent with all our customers."
    Unable to get a phone number for their pre-travel contact centre as all correspondence is by e-mail with a 48-72 hour wait for response.
Page 3
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jun 19, 8:39 AM
    • 23,829 Posts
    • 26,493 Thanks
    zx81
    Ok so your wife isnt the best flyer so is it not time she looks into overcoking
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Certainly one way to relax on a plane, I guess.
    • davylee07
    • By davylee07 14th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    davylee07
    Eventually received the following response from TUI:-

"I have looked into this for you and I can advise your seats have been reassigned. This may be due to families being split up with children, so we may need to reallocate if necessary.

I can advise that you are still seated together for both flights. Please note our seat selection does not guarantee specific seats or seats together, it will only guarantee selection of a seat. Whilst we fully appreciate your concerns, unfortunately we're unable to offer a refund at this point."

This was a strange reply as in the interim I had contacted TUI through their Live Chat (over 72 hours is unacceptable as response time) and the representative had stated that the seats were reassigned as a passenger had a "severe medical condition" and required our seats.

I've asked TUI to confirm the reason and if the reassignment was for "operational, safety or security reasons" as these are the only reasons the seats should be reallocated according to their confirmation email. I also asked their procedure for choosing which seats to reallocate as similar seats to ours were available after we booked.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Establishing the specific reason is neither here nor there now, they have made the change and arent budging, persuing the reason will give you a hernia. Your next step is to ask for a refund for the seat selection as you no longer have a window, or ask if similar seats are still available now.

In any case, both reasons proferred easily fall under the banner of "operational, safety or security reasons"
    Last edited by bradders1983; 14-06-2019 at 8:30 AM.
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 14th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    colcheslad
    You probably have the MSE 'family tax' campaign to thank for that, so whilst families get to sit together for gratis, those without kids suffer for it. Nice one!
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 15th Jun 19, 9:49 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    steve1500
    Eventually received the following response from TUI:-

"I have looked into this for you and I can advise your seats have been reassigned. This may be due to families being split up with children, so we may need to reallocate if necessary.

Originally posted by davylee07
    If it is because of children, then they are complying with CAA guidelines, you are not supposed to split families with children for safety reasons
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 15th Jun 19, 11:42 AM
    • 5,481 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Nick_C
    TUIs response to OP shows they either the time or inclination to investigate complaints and respond properly.

They haven't said OP and his wife were moved to accommodate a family. They just said it might have been.

I think children is an unlikely reason. As others have mention, the seating is in a 2-3-2 configuration. How would moving a couple from a pair of seats help a family? The middle block of 3 is much more suitable to families. Lone parent plus two children, or a couple with one child.

The two people needing to sit together in the window and aisle could have sat together in the middle block.

I think it is far more likely that the plane was changed for one with a smaller premium cabin.

Although selected seats are never guaranteed, even if you pay for seat selection, TUI's response would have annoyed me.
    • davylee07
    • By davylee07 5th Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    davylee07
    I've been unable to respond until now.
    TUI have confirmed that the seats should not have been changed however are unable to allocate the original seats. The lady who called me from TUI was very apologetic and sincere however would not give me the details on why the original seats were changed. Accepted their offer of 50% refund on Premier Seats payment.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 8th Jul 19, 7:18 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I've been unable to respond until now.
    TUI have confirmed that the seats should not have been changed however are unable to allocate the original seats. The lady who called me from TUI was very apologetic and sincere however would not give me the details on why the original seats were changed. Accepted their offer of 50% refund on Premier Seats payment.
    Originally posted by davylee07
    So after the initial hysteria of "my wife cant go at all if we are sat in the middle", you have now only accepted half a refund on the allocation and you are still going?

Nothing like an initial over-reaction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,304Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter