Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 31st May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 234Posts
    • 821Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Keeping on the Straight and Narrow...
    • 31st May 19, 11:45 AM
    Keeping on the Straight and Narrow... 31st May 19 at 11:45 AM
    Well here goes, my first diary...After being an avid lurker both here and on the MFW boards over the years I have been amazed and inspired by the success of many individuals and the support of other forum members so hoping to do the same. So why am I here? In the 6 years since DH and I bought our home we have undergone many home improvements, got married and had 2 gorgeous little boys. Although all of this was planned, some costs spiralled and 2 spells of Maternity Leave in 3 years have proved a little challenging. At the moment our debts do not feel out of control, they just do not sit comfortably with us as we are naturally debt averse so we are looking to attack these as a matter of urgency when I return to work following Maternity Leave. No SOA just yet as, we have taken the decision that I will return to work on a part time basis so want to get to grips with that first. Current debt total is 13,636. No interest on these, currently have 2 x 0% credit cards and 1 interest free family loan. Back to work in July so June is about laying the groundwork. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by DancingInTheRain; 31-05-2019 at 1:58 PM.
Page 3
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 14th Jun 19, 8:19 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    While it's in my head, managed another NSD today so now at 7/30 for June. Couple of spendy days coming up, I have a much needed hair appointment tomorrow (first one of the year, can't wait for all the greys to be obliterated!!!) then hubby is out for a meal with work colleagues. Saturday sees me out with my friends for lunch & a couple of cheeky drinks which is quite rare these days as there's 6 of us & while we're really good friends who I'd be lost without, co-ordinating a free day for all of us is a constant struggle but will be good fun.

Need to make sure we pack a few fun things for the boys around this too, hopefully the weather will be on our side so we can get out & about but plenty of things we can do at home if not.
    Originally posted by DancingInTheRain
    I hear you. It's so difficult these days to organise anything with friends, what with kids and different shift patterns and what not. I can go for months without seeing anyone for a drink or a meal (other than the family I mean ). Being a grown up can be hard!
    Debts 14/6/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: 900/0 Barclaycard: 3755.55/2859.42 Loan: 21620.29/17997.19
    Total 26275.84 20856.61 (REDUCED BY 20.62%)
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 14th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    I know what you mean, I seemed to spend all of my childhood impatiently waiting to be a grown up only to spend most of my adult life saying take me back to being a child
    01/06/19 Total Debt 13,636 11,400 16.40% PAID
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/975 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,600 Family Loan 4,950/4,825
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 14th Jun 19, 3:05 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    Just popping by to say Hi. Thanks for coming over to my diary.

Subscribed to yours to cheer you along also. You will achieve your 9,999 target for Jan 2020! X
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) 46444.23
    27263.33/46444.23 58.7% paid
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 14th Jun 19, 8:09 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Just been on one of the Debt Snowball Calculator sites and used current minimum payments against 01/06/19 debt totals, debt free date came out at February 2026. To put this into context this would mean my oldest boy who has just started nursery would be 10 if I just made minimum payments to debt (assuming everything stays interest free too). This is truly horrifying!!!

OMG what an eye opener!!! Signature updated to reflect this so that I can update progress on a monthly basis.
    In other news, my grey hairs have now vanished and my hair has had it's first must needed cut of the year. Cost 40 which I could've used for debt but I feel it's money well spent as it's made me feel much better about myself and this is the only thing I do that is just for me, I'm not really into any beauty treatments etc but my hair is so thick and difficult to maintain that I'm going to try to maintain regular appointments.
    Also spent 99p on some sweeties for oldest boy's Friday sweet treat, taking June grocery spends up to 212.49
    No pennies to overpay today, think I might have to wait a few days until I do the weekly shop to find anything to sweep from the current account too.
    Last edited by DancingInTheRain; 04-08-2019 at 8:30 PM. Reason: typo
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/975 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,600 Family Loan 4,950/4,825
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 15th Jun 19, 6:43 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Happy Saturday!

Hubby’s just told me he topped his car up with fuel yesterday 53.61

Total fuel costs for June now at 130.04 (110.04 hubby/19.99 me).

Had a 60p refund to my account from Asda from a click & collect order on Tuesday so grocery spends are 211.89 so far this month.

Current account tidy of 1.99 made to CC1
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 16th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Hi all

Hope the weekend's treated everyone kindly

I enjoed a lovely catch up with my friends yesterday, we had a lovely lunch, several lovely gins and a really good catch up. So lovely to see everyone and have some child free time. Total spend 40 including bus fares so I'm happy with that.

The boys spent the afternoon with their grandma so were spoiled rotten & hubby was at work, we were hoping to get out for a while today but the weather's been really unpredictable so apart from 30 minute playing in the yard with oldest son we've enjoyed a film day and just relaxed as a family.

Cooked a beef dinner and baked a chocolate cake as a treat for hubby on Father's Day as these are 2 of his favourites and he was pleased with the treats I got on behalf of the boys.

In money saving news, I had a nice surprise in the 2nd account I set up for debt payments when I got notification on Friday that I had received a payment of 190.63. This was a PPI refund from an old store card I had and it had slipped my mind that this payment was on its way.

This actually arrived in my account on Friday afternoon so I decided to keep 40 to use for my afternoon out yesterday. As hubby was so gracious with his winnings last week, he also got 40, I then paid an extra 100 to the family loan and the remaining 10.63 to CC1

Going to use the leftovers from Hubby's winnings last Saturday to take the boys to soft play at some point this week as the weather's making it so difficult to get out at the moment so at least we'll all have had some form of a treat this month

So today was also a NSD, 8/30 for June

Current debt total now at 13,280
    3,281 needed to achieve 9,999 by 2020 goal
    Last edited by DancingInTheRain; 16-06-2019 at 6:32 PM.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 17th Jun 19, 11:27 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Happy Monday

No rain here so far today so taken advantage and been to the shops with DS2 today instead of tomorrow.

Was pleased to buy a pair of court shoes needed for work next month in the sale, only 8.99.

Also bought the usual toiletries and groceries needed, spent 42.06. Looks better than usual but will need to pick a few more bits up at the end of the week. Hubby's working on an extra project at work this week so his hours are going to be quite erratic making it a little difficult to meal plan as well as usual so have planned up to Friday lunchtime then me & the boys will go to pick up anything else we need to see us through to next Tuesday.

So, after today's spending I've sent 4.65 to CC1 to tidy my current account.

Total Grocery spends for June now at 253.95
    Total Clothes spends at 8.99
    Total Fuel spends at 130.04 (110.04 DH/19.99 me)

Survey sites still a bit quiet for me, few extra pennies earned. Think I need to start looking at items to sell, I did well with this earlier this year but I'm sure there'll be some more things to de-clutter. It's something I really have to push myself to do but is usually worth it.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 18th Jun 19, 3:26 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Bit of an unexpected turn of events today. I had a call from an old colleague from a job I did a few years ago, he stayed within that industry and I moved to an entirely new sector but we kept in touch over the years.

Basically he's now leading a team on a contract similar to one we worked together on and was seeing if I'd be interested in joining his team. We ended up having a catch up over a coffee (us) and a bottle of milk (DS2 ) and I must admit it sounds like a great opportunity.

As much as I enjoy my current job, the new opportunity has much better terms and conditions which could work out really well financially and for family life. I need to have a good chat with hubby tonight but I'm pretty sure I'll be formally applying when the job is advertised.

Lots to think about but if nothing else it's a confidence boost to even be asked. This also scuppered my plans for a NSD as had to spend 1.40 on parking and also needed to top my petrol up (20.01). On the positive side, I was able to sweep 3.59 across to CC1 as a result of these spends

Total Fuel spends at 150.05 (110.04 DH/40.00 me)
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Bit of an unexpected turn of events today. I had a call from an old colleague from a job I did a few years ago, he stayed within that industry and I moved to an entirely new sector but we kept in touch over the years.

Basically he's now leading a team on a contract similar to one we worked together on and was seeing if I'd be interested in joining his team. We ended up having a catch up over a coffee (us) and a bottle of milk (DS2 ) and I must admit it sounds like a great opportunity.

As much as I enjoy my current job, the new opportunity has much better terms and conditions which could work out really well financially and for family life. I need to have a good chat with hubby tonight but I'm pretty sure I'll be formally applying when the job is advertised.

Lots to think about but if nothing else it's a confidence boost to even be asked. This also scuppered my plans for a NSD as had to spend 1.40 on parking and also needed to top my petrol up (20.01). On the positive side, I was able to sweep 3.59 across to CC1 as a result of these spends

Total Fuel spends at 150.05 (110.04 DH/40.00 me)
    Wow! that is a nice turn of events sometimes the best opportunity comes when least expected, also sounds like it could work out to be a good move for you as well in respect of finances and the job itself. Here hoping it could lead to good things for you Dancing.
    Debt At Start Of Diary (08/06) - 6129
    Current Balance - 4824.85 Paid In Total 1304.65.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 18th Jun 19, 8:27 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Thanks Dan

Well after talking everything through with hubby I will definitely be applying for the new job

Will be updating and forwarding my CV to my ex-colleague tomorrow then will wait and see what happens next, it's more than likely it'll take a few weeks to get to interview stage so can relax for now.

Nothing much else happended today, a couple more surveys completed but still slow going, getting close to cashing out on Prolific and Receipt Hog but think it'll take a few more days.

10 days to payday, this month's flying in and still enough money in the bank to cover food and fuel for the rest of the month so all looking good at the moment.
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 8:48 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Thanks Dan

Well after talking everything through with hubby I will definitely be applying for the new job

Will be updating and forwarding my CV to my ex-colleague tomorrow then will wait and see what happens next, it's more than likely it'll take a few weeks to get to interview stage so can relax for now.

Nothing much else happended today, a couple more surveys completed but still slow going, getting close to cashing out on Prolific and Receipt Hog but think it'll take a few more days.

10 days to payday, this month's flying in and still enough money in the bank to cover food and fuel for the rest of the month so all looking good at the moment.
    That is fantastic news! Go you . I always think it is better to go for stuff rather than to regret it further down the line, maybe this is advice i should take myself at some point haha! Hope all goes well with it but sounds like you are in with a great chance given you were approached.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 19th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    CV updated and submitted today, going to try not to think about this too much for now as I'm already feeling nervous about my return to work 3 weeks today which is enough to deal with in itself having been off for almost a full year, will take a little bit of getting used to again

As that took up most of the morning, along with the fun that is DS2 who is turning into quite a handful, I took both boys to soft play this afternoon. They let off a lot of steam and I enjoyed a cuppa. As previously mentioned, I used what was left from hubby's winnings from last Saturday so was a nice treat. Both boys fast asleep by 7pm and hubby working late tonight so a nice chilled evening for me now that the usual chores are out of the way

Additional spend today paying a small bill for a repair on my car last month, my mechanic has been away so taken longer than usual for him to give us our bill so I'd pretty much forgotten about it but have transferred the 45 it cost from my annual bills pot so at least I could cover it.

The annual bills pot is now looking very sorry for itself, as the vast majority of our annual bills needed paid May/June. Having said that, I'd say it's definitely been worth sacrificing some other things to top this pot up monthly as there is no way we could have covered these bills from our reduced income on top of normal spending. We only started paying in to this when I found out I was pregnant again early last year and it's something we'll keep doing as it really has been a financial life saver for us.

I'd be much happier to be debt free and contributing more to the family income but I'm so grateful to be budgeting what we do have so much better as a result of these issues. I truly feel I've learned so much from all the lovely people who contribute to these forums.

Once I'm earning again me and hubby need to make sure we keep focused and don't give in to 'we're tired' 'we have no time' 'let's get a takeaway' 'we work hard, we deserve it' mentality we've been guilty of in the past. We've got a real opportunity here and I don't want us to waste it.

This turned in to a bit of a monologue, sorry!

Mini goal for tomorrow - NSD, they're just not happening this week - must do better!!!
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 19th Jun 19, 8:00 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Good luck with the job application.

Returning to work is hard lots of emotions, I also found that once I was off on maternity leave I was off 19 months in 2 years I didn't think about work one bit and then when I went back it had knocked my confidence which I didn't expect and took my a while to get back into it along with the mum guilt of not being with my girls. I have a nice balance now but my two are both at school.

Sounds like a fun afternoon and hope you are enjoying some chill time now the little ones are in bed.

You will get there and heading in the right direction and very focused and determined you got this :-)

If it makes you feel any better I am trying to get a couple of NSD's but they just aren't happening !!

Enjoy the rest of your evening and more importantly the next 3 weeks before going back to work.

Best wishes
    NMC xxx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - Lunch to work - 4/12
    October - NSD - 4/12
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 19th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    CV updated and submitted today, going to try not to think about this too much for now as I'm already feeling nervous about my return to work 3 weeks today which is enough to deal with in itself having been off for almost a full year, will take a little bit of getting used to again

As that took up most of the morning, along with the fun that is DS2 who is turning into quite a handful, I took both boys to soft play this afternoon. They let off a lot of steam and I enjoyed a cuppa. As previously mentioned, I used what was left from hubby's winnings from last Saturday so was a nice treat. Both boys fast asleep by 7pm and hubby working late tonight so a nice chilled evening for me now that the usual chores are out of the way

Additional spend today paying a small bill for a repair on my car last month, my mechanic has been away so taken longer than usual for him to give us our bill so I'd pretty much forgotten about it but have transferred the 45 it cost from my annual bills pot so at least I could cover it.

The annual bills pot is now looking very sorry for itself, as the vast majority of our annual bills needed paid May/June. Having said that, I'd say it's definitely been worth sacrificing some other things to top this pot up monthly as there is no way we could have covered these bills from our reduced income on top of normal spending. We only started paying in to this when I found out I was pregnant again early last year and it's something we'll keep doing as it really has been a financial life saver for us.

I'd be much happier to be debt free and contributing more to the family income but I'm so grateful to be budgeting what we do have so much better as a result of these issues. I truly feel I've learned so much from all the lovely people who contribute to these forums.

Once I'm earning again me and hubby need to make sure we keep focused and don't give in to 'we're tired' 'we have no time' 'let's get a takeaway' 'we work hard, we deserve it' mentality we've been guilty of in the past. We've got a real opportunity here and I don't want us to waste it.

This turned in to a bit of a monologue, sorry!

Mini goal for tomorrow - NSD, they're just not happening this week - must do better!!!
    Sounds like a super busy day haha.

I am currently just going through the annual bills stage and i am so envious of people who have already gone down this route as i know my budget would be so much healthier for doing this. I can't wait til this point next year where i know that i will have the funds to pay in full on insurance/car tax.car breakdown

I never really thought of the benfits of doing it that way before if i a being honest it was just the done thing to pay monthly, i have already picked up so much useful info from been here and i can not wait til i am in a better financial position.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 20th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Thanks both.

NMC I have exactly the same feelings about returning to work and guilt. When I returned from maternity leave with DS1 I was put on redundancy consultation on my first day back which meant I was unemployed 4 weeks later (Xmas Eve to be exact!!!). No chance of that happening in my current job thankfully but I think subconsciously this may be adding to my feelings of anxiety.

Dan I honestly can't recommend the monthly saving pots enough, we've had a few months where we nearly thought 'sod it, it's leaving us short on money for other things' but we're both so glad we perservered as it's made this last couple of months of zero income for me a whole lot easier.

Another sunny day here, so packed a few snacks and drinks & put DS2 in his pram, picked DS1 up from nursery and spent a couple of hours in the park. Both boys worn out again so I'm in for a 'fun' couple of hours until bedtime.

Also managed a NSD and in debt busting news, a 22p payout from TCB has gone across to CC1

Every penny counts right?
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 20th Jun 19, 3:41 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    I am defo going to do the money pots to save for annual costs. I think it will take time to get used to doing it, but once I see the benefits and after the 1st year of doing it that way it will hopefully get easier to do . Ideally I would love not to have much on direct debit but I think that is a while away yet haha. I am still so early into learning how to budget properly.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 21st Jun 19, 1:28 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Mixed fortunes today - I spent a bit of time listing around 30 low value items on eBay last night, all items priced between 5 and 10 on buy it now with the option of offers. So far 6 items sold so have packed and posted those. After paying selling fees and postage I've ended up with 25.61 profit which has been sent across to CC1.

Hubby working a later than usual shift today which led to him missing out on a free parking space at work, had to pay 6 to park at the nearby chargeable car park

As planned I also went for the so called 'top up' shop today, 69.84 spent

This did include a 17 spend on alcohol and 5 on a new beaker for DS2 and socket covers to baby proof a few things.

Total grocery spends for June now at 323.79

This month is the first time I've started tracking grocery spends and, as mentioned previously, does include everything - medicines, cleaning products, toiletries, baby items, alcohol. It's certainly been an eye opener to say the least, not sure what to do with the information just yet as some costs can't really be cut e.g. nappies and formula (although this cost is dropping as DS2 is less reliant on milk) and some costs we don't want to cut (alcohol ) Food and drink is definitely our indulgence, more so since having the children, so will continue to monitor over the next few weeks before making any definitive plans here.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 21st Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Just been checking my current account and today's spends have cleared already so account tidy of 3.93 also sent across to CC1, will help to ease the feelings of guilt I have for the big grocery spends this week.

Next weeks groceries will have to come in cheaper as funds are getting low ahead of payday next Friday, which is 2 days early due to payday falling on a weekend. Ideally I don't want to touch this wage until July 1st so will give me a bit of motivation to be strict and stick to the shopping list.
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 22nd Jun 19, 8:18 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Not much to report today other than a NSD a total of 10/30 for June. This was thanks to my beautiful mum who took me and the boys to a lovely local cafe this morning and treated us all to coffee, juice and cake.

The boys love her to pieces and was lovely to spend some time together as poor hubby working again today so that got us out this morning and then lovely BIL & SIL invited us round this afternoon so they boys got to play with their cousins which they all love, even had the added bonus of lots of sunshine.

Hubby's got a much needed day off tomorrow then another full on week on this specific project next week then should be back to more regular hours for a while, will be nice to spend some time with him

No more Ebay sales yet and Receipt Hog and Prolific are both hovering ridiculously close to payout, don't they know I have a debt mountain to shift???

Hope Saturday's treated everyone kindly x
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 22nd Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Sounds like you have had a nice day and the bonus of a NSD . A bit crap that you hubby had to work, i know the feeling of wishing i got more time at home with DD than i currently do, hopefully you can all enjoy his day off 2morrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,264Posts Today

7,458Users online

Martin's Twitter