Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 31st May 19, 12:45 PM
    • 317Posts
    • 1,148Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Keeping on the Straight and Narrow...
    • 31st May 19, 12:45 PM
    Keeping on the Straight and Narrow... 31st May 19 at 12:45 PM
    Well here goes, my first diary...After being an avid lurker both here and on the MFW boards over the years I have been amazed and inspired by the success of many individuals and the support of other forum members so hoping to do the same. So why am I here? In the 6 years since DH and I bought our home we have undergone many home improvements, got married and had 2 gorgeous little boys. Although all of this was planned, some costs spiralled and 2 spells of Maternity Leave in 3 years have proved a little challenging. At the moment our debts do not feel out of control, they just do not sit comfortably with us as we are naturally debt averse so we are looking to attack these as a matter of urgency when I return to work following Maternity Leave. No SOA just yet as, we have taken the decision that I will return to work on a part time basis so want to get to grips with that first. Current debt total is 13,636. No interest on these, currently have 2 x 0% credit cards and 1 interest free family loan. Back to work in July so June is about laying the groundwork. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by DancingInTheRain; 31-05-2019 at 2:58 PM.
Page 15
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 3rd Jan 20, 10:12 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Happy New Year to you Dancing x hope you enjoy the weekend but like you I am ready to go back to the normal routine, hope DH is feeling better soon.

How fantastic are you reaching you under 10k goal, well done you are doing fabulous.

Take care
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Savings - 5.19
    Christmas Savings 2020 - 0
    Lunch to work - 12 / No spend days - 20
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Congrats on the mortgage OP. Glad your DH is on the mend and you got some help. Hope your coursework went well.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 6th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Thanks NMC & SH.
    2020 is treating me kindly so far. First day back went well for us all, no dramas or surprises and none of us slept in
    Today has been a NSD following a spendy few days - cards and gifts for January birthdays bought, wrapped and written. Cars topped up with fuel and a couple of soft play outings for the boys as a couple of the local centres had good deals on so we took advantage.
    A few TT's made to CC1 from the current account as a result of these spends so a few more pounds off the total, signature updated.
    The big confirmed amount on TCB (165) finally became payable today after weeks of waiting. BACS transfer requested and we're just weighing up what we're going to do with it. Some will go to debt but we also may pay some money off the short breaks we have booked too.
    Hope everyone else is doing well x
    01.06.19 Debt 13,636 - CC 8,687, Mum 4,949

Now 9,910. 27.32% Paid - CC 5960, Mum 4,700. Reg Saver (Debt Offset) +750
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 20, 8:03 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,653 Thanks
    beanielou
    Pay 11 quid off the CC1 to take you into the 5k's
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 7th Jan 20, 7:36 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Pay 11 quid off the CC1 to take you into the 5k's
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Can't believe I didn't notice this myself Beanie I've followed your advice & the CC is now in the 5ks

Yesterday's big TCB payout was followed by a smaller, but still much appreciated 28 today - yet another one we'd just about given up on after waiting for months.

193 in total so we've talked through our options and decided to split it 4 ways and have paid 50 towards the May half term trip; 60 towards the Grand National trip, 49 towards the October half term trip (to make the remaining balance a round number ) and the remaining 34 to the CC.

Feel a little guilty for not just putting it towards debt but it's a good feeling putting it towards our planned treats for the year and confirms we've made the right decision in planning for more fun in 2020.

Other than reallocating the TCB money today has been another NSD, being at work definitely helps with these.

• FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 7th Jan 20, 11:41 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Yay to getting into the 5ks with the CC. I think feeling guilty is normal when your focused on trying to get to a certain target but i think its important to still allow yourself and your family to live and enjoy as well. I think its about trying to find a balance and also knowing that you are so much more money savvy now that you will not go off the rails so to speak with the debt payments.
    (Debt Target #1 - 0/130)
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 14th Jan 20, 7:22 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Eek it's been a week since I last checked in
    Work very busy at the moment and had some unexpected training thrown my way which is great for my career in the long term but arrrrggggghhhh trying to balance it with my other commitments at the moment. It will all work itself out but just feels incredibly stressful at the minute. DH back at work full time now and seems to be managing well and the boys are being little troopers who are coping well with Mummy and Daddy being here there and everywhere yet again I'm incredibly grateful to our wonderful Mums who have shouldered a lot of extra last minute childcare
    I'll be the first to admit my relationship with my MIL hasn't always been easy but she truly has been amazing in recent months and I'm definitely seeing her in a new light.
    Managed to squeeze in 3 NSD's in the last week, not spent much on the other days too. DH & I also had a little date night on Saturday, was lovely to have some 'us' time after all the bugs and illnesses in our house recently (all in good health at the moment..) we used our personal spends for this so no impact on the family budget.
    Budget still holding up well this month so I sent 150 across to the EF to round it up to 3,000 then. You can tell I'm not really concentrating well at the moment as I only needed to send 130 so now we're at a untidy 3020, I give up!
    Have kept up with rounding the current account down on spendy days so little bits continue to be paid off the CC. Not had a lot of time to do surveys but kept up with scanning receipts so those little pots are building up slowly.
    Not a lot else to say so I'll leave it there.
    Hope all is well with everyone else x

• savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 15th Jan 20, 6:44 AM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Sounds like great progress. I too think it is good that you are funding holidays - we all need something to look forward to.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 17th Jan 20, 6:25 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    TGI Friday!!! kids in bed early. Me & DH have our pj's on and wine poured, chilli cooking - yay!
    Goodbye ridiculously busy week and hello no-plan weekend Plus it's my payday next Friday and the budget still seems to be holding up
    Hope everyone has a lovely weekend x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 20, 7:12 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,653 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 18th Jan 20, 10:57 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 21,288 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Roll on payday. Glad your budget is stretching okay. It is always difficult post Christmas although I am lucky I get paid mid month and DH a few days later so it's not too bad.

Hope your weekend is as relaxing as you were hoping for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter