Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Nov 07, 11:02 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Great Christmas Day MoneySaving Dinner, Booze, Games & More Hunt
    • 18th Nov 07, 11:02 PM
    Great Christmas Day MoneySaving Dinner, Booze, Games & More Hunt 18th Nov 07 at 11:02 PM
    What's it about?

Whether you're looking for a cheaper alternative to turkey this Christmas, hunting for deals on booze or on the look-out for something to do after the dinner other than watch the Queen's speech I'd like to tap MoneySavers' huge collective research powers to find the cheapest sources of Christmas dinner, booze games and more.

Click reply to let us know about your finds

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-11-2007 at 8:33 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 19th Nov 07, 1:08 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    • 19th Nov 07, 1:08 AM
    • 19th Nov 07, 1:08 AM
    Can't remember who posted this site:
    http://www.thesavvyhomemaker.com/index_files/HomemadeLiqueurs.htm
    But if you're on the hunt for liqueurs this Xmas, you can save a heap by easily making your own.

I'm already a big fan of homemade baileys made like this:
    450ml whisky
    1 400g can evaporated milk
    1 400g can condensed milk
    1 tsp instant coffee
    tsp vanilla extract
    (it keeps about 2 months in the fridge)

But I've just made the amaretto on that site, and I can't tell the difference between that and Disaronno. I just used cheapo vodka and brandy.

With most of the homemade recipes, you at least double if not triple the quantity of cheap spirit by adding sugar, water and other flavourings. It's really the most moneysaving thing I ever found to do at Xmas.

An aniseed liqueur is next on my list to make!
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 26-11-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • AMIE399
    • 19th Nov 07, 6:57 AM
    • 19th Nov 07, 6:57 AM
    playing the chocolate game of " im a celebrity get me out of here " is great after dinner, its sooooo much fun, there are great funny questions, role play and the best part is.... you get to eat CHOCOLATE !!! ok, some of them have a salt or spicey bit added , but only a few. they also give you jelly bugs to munch on !!!!! you can get it in places like M&S or BHS, it costs about £5 ( havent got one this year yet, so cant say price ) but these sort of games are often on 3 4 2.
  • Sarahsaver
    • 21st Nov 07, 7:53 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 7:53 AM
    We are having a load of friends round a week before for a big xmas dinner. Everyone coming is contributing by paying towards the food and bringing wine. I get to cook loads for a lot of people and that is something I enjoy.
    Like this you can have posher things than you would if you were by yourselves. e.g. we can order a meat hamper from the butchers and know it will all be used, and 'xmas cakes from around the world' instead of just the one cake
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Edinburghlass
    • 21st Nov 07, 8:14 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 8:14 AM
    Most of my party games are posted on this thread from last year

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=294473
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mirandamayhem
    • By mirandamayhem 21st Nov 07, 10:04 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    mirandamayhem
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:04 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:04 AM
    lidl's cranberry sauce is yummy. Has whole cranberries in syrup.
    What i want is a very good but as cheap as possible chateauneuf du pape!
  • Wiggly_Worm
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:27 AM
    Are you game?
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:27 AM
    We've been cheap gourmets for years now, as every Christmas we bypass the 20 turkeys in the supermarket and buy a brace (that's 2) of pheasants from the butcher for about a fiver. Yes, that's FIVE pounds. The taste is amazing, it cooks in about 1 1/2 hours (so no having the oven on full blast all morning either), and two pheasants will feed six sensible people or four gluttons. Plus everyone will think you're right posh.

Ask your butcher or (bizarrely) fishmonger (something to do with having to have a licence to sell game I think) if they stock pheasant, and book yours now. Guaranteed free range too!

[btw: serve roast pheasant with the normal spuds n veg, plus red cabbage and a strong fruity chutney - I use elderberry - or redcurrant sauce]
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 27-11-2007 at 8:21 PM.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • auntynet
    • 21st Nov 07, 2:38 PM
    The cost of vegetables
    • 21st Nov 07, 2:38 PM
    Don't know about you but I hate getting ripped of at christmas and one of the ones that bugs me most is the cost of the veggies we buy for our xmas dinner. Sprouts especially virtually double in price!

I buy my veg during the first week in December and freeze them. Works out even cheaper than buying frozen veg and saves you time and effort on the big day itself.

If you've never frozen your own veg and don't know what to do, there's lots of advice on the net - I especially like this site as it gives instructions for most veg.

http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/freezing.asp
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 27-11-2007 at 8:22 PM.
  • little ole me
    • 21st Nov 07, 3:57 PM
    • 21st Nov 07, 3:57 PM
    Don't know about you but I hate getting ripped of at christmas and one of the ones that bugs me most is the cost of the veggies we buy for our xmas dinner. Sprouts especially virtually double in price!

I buy my veg during the first week in December and freeze them. Works out even cheaper than buying frozen veg and saves you time and effort on the big day itself.

If you've never frozen your own veg and don't know what to do, there's lots of advice on the net - I especially like this site as it gives instructions for most veg.

http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/freezing.asp
    Originally posted by auntynet

That sounds great but how do you cook them?

Do you do them as normal?
    this web site is heavenly
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 21st Nov 07, 4:02 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    lidl's cranberry sauce is yummy. Has whole cranberries in syrup.
    Originally posted by mirandamayhem
    Try Aldi's I got mine there last year for 5.99 and it was lovely.
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • lucifer_84
    Turkey!
    Aldi have turkey crowns and whole turkeys for a fraction of the price of the other supermarkets. I bought a reasonable-sized turkey crown there last week for 6.99.
  • pennypinchingmum
    cranberry sauce is so easy to make i would recommend doing it yourselves it keeps for at least a week in the fridge and goes beautifully with cheese and crackers.
    Just add 1 pack of cranberries about 1 if you pick them up cheaply from the market or frozen, add a little water, sugar and may be a touch of sherry boil it up then let it cool and it's delicious.
  • pennypinchingmum
    cranberry sauce is so easy to make i would recommend doing it yourselves it keeps for at least a week in the fridge and goes beautifully with cheese and crackers.
    Just add 1 pack of cranberries about 1 if you pick them up cheaply from the market or frozen, add a little water, sugar and may be a touch of sherry boil it up then let it cool and it's delicious.
    • troubrs
    • By troubrs 21st Nov 07, 8:37 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    troubrs
    I usually buy cheap (but sturdy) crackers - the sort you can easily undo & tie up again with gold ribbon. This year I got 2 x packs of 6 gold ones from Poundland. I undo one end, take out the cheapo present & put in individual ones (you can spend as much or as little as you like) - I;ve saved some freebie lipsticks for the girls, packets of seeds for the gardeners, & little toys for the kids. My crackers will still cost less than buying more expensive ones & I know the gifts ar personalised.

Always make your own pig in blankets, they're a fraction of the price of ready made & can be made in advance & frozen.

This year I'm feeling quite clever - I think my home grown sprouts will be ready just at the right time, & parsnips certainly will be!
    • simple_living
    • By simple_living 22nd Nov 07, 11:23 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    simple_living
    Originally posted by auntynet
    Tesco online (don't know about instore), frozen button sprouts 68p for 1.1kg.
    Very good I think.
  • linzibean
    The Works bookshop have great make your own crackers kits, only 1.49 for 8 crackers and you get a bang, hat and a joke. Fill with various freebies gathered over the year and voila, posh crackers
  • sillymee
    Hi Mirandamayhem

Another forum member reccommended visiting www.quaffersoffers.co.uk they have 3 special offers listed at the moment. The best deal looks like Morrisions Chateuneuf Du Pape Excellence 2005 for 9.99 reduced from 12.99.

Although they do not have any Chateauneuf Du Pape (except in the 'overpriced' gift section!) Virgin wines have some brilliant deals on, which I have posted in the referrers section (so not to break any rules). Between me and a few family members we've ordered 4 cases of wine, so far, at a cost of 26 each after discount and I've got 60 'in the bank' which will buy another case just for referring them. Altogether we will have got 5 cases of decent stuff (most I bought was also on special offer) for just over 100.

Kind regards

Sillymee
    • mirandamayhem
    • By mirandamayhem 23rd Nov 07, 6:00 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    mirandamayhem
    Hi Mirandamayhem

Another forum member reccommended visiting www.quaffersoffers.co.uk they have 3 special offers listed at the moment. The best deal looks like Morrisions Chateuneuf Du Pape Excellence 2005 for 9.99 reduced from 12.99.

Although they do not have any Chateauneuf Du Pape (except in the 'overpriced' gift section!) Virgin wines have some brilliant deals on, which I have posted in the referrers section (so not to break any rules). Between me and a few family members we've ordered 4 cases of wine, so far, at a cost of 26 each after discount and I've got 60 'in the bank' which will buy another case just for referring them. Altogether we will have got 5 cases of decent stuff (most I bought was also on special offer) for just over 100.

Kind regards

Sillymee
    Originally posted by sillymee
    Thanks for all that! I am tempted by virgin, but i now have 30 bottles following the Tesco offer last week, so can't by much more! Will look at morrison's though!
  • Sarahsaver
    Buy sprouts still on the stem that way they last longer. We get ours from a farm shop.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • sillymee
    Thanks for all that! I am tempted by virgin, but i now have 30 bottles following the Tesco offer last week, so can't by much more! Will look at morrison's though!
    My Mum and I have just ordered a case each from Tesco too, but I'm not looking forward to it now as it was cheap plonk! I'm hoping the Virgin stuff is a bit nicer. Mum's arrived today (she ordered me a bottle of champers but I'm saving for Christmas), but I'm still waiting for mine. It's really worthwhile doing it if you like a tipple and can afford it before Christmas (I'm going to store mine as I'm cutting down drinking in the New Year!?!) as you can then refer your own friends/family as they get 40 and you get 20. Just between me and my boyfriend, we've actually spent 50, but Virgin have 'given' us 100 and with the other friends I've referred so far I have another 100 'in the bank' - it's really not going to help cutting down on the booze...

Hope you enjoy yours, I guess you got the Tesco 25% discount? Can you belive although I love wine I've never drunk Chateauneuf Du Pape - I've got fairly cheap tastes when it comes to wine (thank goodness, or I'd be bankrupt). Although I do draw the line at some of the really cheap rubbish my Mum seems to prefer - she's buys stuff from France at less than 1 per bottle! I'm generally a red drinker, with the exception of fizz, but I tend to find when I buy more expensive bottles they tend to be a bit heavy on the oak which I'm not mad keen on. I think I need to become more educated when it comes to wine - the Virgin stuff has tasting notes, so I'll have fun with those but I'm not 'spitting'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

3,128Users online

Martin's Twitter