Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sarahemm
    • By Sarahemm 27th May 19, 8:27 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Sarahemm
    Cat. D flagged up on hpi
    • 27th May 19, 8:27 PM
    Cat. D flagged up on hpi 27th May 19 at 8:27 PM
    I have been to look at a car at a dealer today. It was flagged up as a cat D written off in may 2016. It's passed MOTs since then and appears to have damage on the boot area of the car. We took it for a test drive and it seemed ok, although I dunno what I'm looking of listening for. It needs an MOT and the dealer is going to get one done and a few other bits.
    My question is if it's been cat D for nearly three years is there really anything I should be concerned about? I assume it's been fixed (maybe not to the manufacturer standard but I get mine fixed by polish Pete, so no different). I only insure my car's third party, fire and theft so would have no issues with it being not fixed if it smashed up.
    I have very limited options as I require a 7 seater and need it now and also need to find a dealer that accepts credit card not easy.
Page 2
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 30th May 19, 12:37 AM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I have found a 'cat N' car, insurance quote didn't mention it being a write off, maybe it will if I complete the quote and pay?
    Although Cat N is only minor damage.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 30th May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 29,482 Posts
    • 12,119 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Dont know what to inspect to see if its safe.

Cannot afford to get someone to inspect it to see if its safe.

Your assuming its been fixed and its safe???

What could possibly go wrong? Should i scare you with what I have seen people buy over the years?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Sarahemm
    • By Sarahemm 13th Jun 19, 9:14 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sarahemm
    Bought the car and it's a beauty. Insured it for much cheaper than my old zafira (04).
    I couldn't afford another car, but there are no taxis in our area and not many buses. I have to get to work somehow and I'm afraid a 15 mile bike ride is out of the question. I haven't got a bike and buses don't venture out to the farm where I work.
    Pretty good car, and it's being serviced, valeted and fixed for that fire problem next week. All for free!
    I'd definitely consider another cat D or N or whatever it is again.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 14th Jun 19, 6:05 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    Scrapit
    I'm not sure he knows it's a write off as he didn't mention it, but it is priced as such.
    So I shouldn't worry. I personally couldn't care less whether it's been fixed by the dodgy garage down the road. To me that means it's fixed.
    Originally posted by Sarahemm
    Wow, you're naive
    • Sarahemm
    • By Sarahemm 14th Jun 19, 10:33 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sarahemm
    Hey any car can be badly repaired. Ask me I take my car's to Chris the dodgy garage next to my hubbies cousins MOT place. Our cars always pass their mot 😉 and Chris takes cash only.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Jun 19, 10:38 PM
    • 19,401 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hey any car can be badly repaired. Ask me I take my car's to Chris the dodgy garage next to my hubbies cousins MOT place. Our cars always pass their mot 😉 and Chris takes cash only.
    Originally posted by Sarahemm
    Dodgy MOTs are a very Dark Matter...
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Dodgy MOTs are a very Dark Matter...
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Interesting - OP hasn't named the car. Perhaps it's another RX8. But DM must have fallen on hard times not to have the money to buy a straight one...

I have the smallest violin playing just for him...
    • deanos
    • By deanos 19th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    wonder what cat this would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2f-q4WPfs
    • leemaq01
    • By leemaq01 1st Aug 19, 6:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leemaq01
    CAT S but clear hpi
    Hi , i purchased a 2014 seat ibiza from a private seller in may with 12 months mot and a service just done [ advertised as hpi clear]. i did the right thing and paid experian for a hpi check and it came passed with flying colours. after we had the car for a couple of weeks we had some mechanical issues so had new plugs and leads, then a new coil pack. in the meantime our new v5 arrived stating that the car to our dismay is a cat s.went back onto experian website and it still shows its clear. i contacted them and they said I'm covered but only for the the difference in book price .the car that week had to go into garage as brakes started failing so they fitted a new brake line. last week started playing up again so took it to garage and the cylinder head is going, so cars not worth 500 quid as its a non runner. will they pay me out now. anybody with any experience in this . cheers lee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,568Users online

Martin's Twitter