Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 329Posts
    • 720Thanks
    Zarch
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website
    • 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website 22nd May 19 at 1:07 PM
    As many of the regulars know, the Octopus Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about 'Agile' it was a bit limited. ie it didn't show all DNO areas and wasn't complete back to Feb 2018.

So i've written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.
    • All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018).
    • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day's figures.

I've then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
    What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
    Is this stuff useful?
    Could you see this tariff working for you?
    Could a combination of PV / batteries get you mostly over the expensive 4pm to 7pm hump?

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Zarch; 07-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Page 9
    • EVandPV
    • By EVandPV 7th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    EVandPV
    I'm scheduled to get my smart meter fitted by Octopus on January 14th, with a view to going onto the agile tariff, I'm assuming this will happen within days of getting the smart meter.
    Originally posted by M0ney
    From what I understand, Octopus monitor the connection over a few days to ensure they receive the half hourly readings before completing the switch to Agile/Go.
    We get ours installed this afternoon so I should be able to confirm this by the end of the week.
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv south facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    4.8kwh Pylon battery storage with Lux ac controller
    Renault Zoe R110 40kwh, Zappi 2 charger, arduino immersion controller
    • EVandPV
    • By EVandPV 7th Jan 20, 10:08 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    EVandPV
    A couple of other things I would really be interested in would be a small battery to see me through the 3 hour peak period, I'd have thought around 2Kwh would be enough, anyone able to advise if there are any relatively low cost options for this?

We had 2 Pylontech batteries (2.4kwh each) installed last month with a Lux ac coupled controller.
    The total cost was fairly reasonable compared to some of the other options and this setup has the added advantage of being very easy to upgrade. The Pylontech modules are literally plug and play and come in 2.4kwh or 3.5kwh capacities.
    PM me if you want some more info.
    Last edited by EVandPV; 07-01-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    • M0ney
    • By M0ney 7th Jan 20, 11:34 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    M0ney
    PM me if you want some more info.
    Originally posted by EVandPV
    I did PM but my webpage crashed as I hit send please tell me you got it so I don't have to type it all again....
    • EVandPV
    • By EVandPV 7th Jan 20, 12:02 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    EVandPV
    I did PM but my webpage crashed as I hit send please tell me you got it so I don't have to type it all again....

Yeah, got it. Reply sent.
    • EVandPV
    • By EVandPV 7th Jan 20, 1:22 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    EVandPV
    From what I understand, Octopus monitor the connection over a few days to ensure they receive the half hourly readings before completing the switch to Agile/Go.
    We get ours installed this afternoon so I should be able to confirm this by the end of the week.
    Just had a call from the meter installer, he's coming this afternoon to fit our meters but won't be able to commision them today as the Octopus system is currently down.
    He said someone else will need to come out at a later date to commision them.

Edit: Meters now installed but we have to wait for Octopus to arrange another appointment once there system is back up for commissioning.
    Last edited by EVandPV; 07-01-2020 at 3:09 PM.
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 8th Jan 20, 3:37 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Just had a call from the meter installer, he's coming this afternoon to fit our meters but won't be able to commision them today as the Octopus system is currently down.
    He said someone else will need to come out at a later date to commision them.

Edit: Meters now installed but we have to wait for Octopus to arrange another appointment once there system is back up for commissioning.
    It must be excruciating!
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • EVandPV
    • By EVandPV 8th Jan 20, 4:42 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    EVandPV
    It must be excruciating!
    Originally posted by 1961Nick
    Not half.
    Very frustrating having a newly installed smart meter that's currently as dumb as the old one.
    Octopus can't even blame the meter installers this time.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 11th Jan 20, 9:15 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Zarch
    I managed to spend a bit of time over Christmas and New Year coding some new functionality for the site that I've just put live.

Download historical Agile and Agile Outgoing data.

Far and away the most frequent request I get to the site is “Where can I get full historical pricing data for Agile and/or Agile Outgoing?”

Usually cos they want to do their own geeky analysis of the figures.

Agile started on 18th February 2018.

Agile Outgoing started on 15th May 2019.

Both data sets go right back to day one for each tariff will be updated every day with the new pricing from the Octopus API, so usually sometime after around 4pm.

If you’ve had the daily graph tweet from @energystatsuk then you know the underlying data will have been updated for that day.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/download-historical-pricing-data/

Hope you find this useful.
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 12th Jan 20, 4:46 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Interesting. For London 2019
    Average = 10.6388p (for the whole year)
    Average = 8.7632p (excluding the peak 3hs)

This is effectively an economy 21h tariff

For the million plus electrically heated homes in the UK this would be a great especially if they don't use the heating for the peak 3h window between 4-7pm their heating price per unit would only be 8.76p about half that of a normal tariff

Even looking at just winter prices average price for the low 21h period for Jan/Feb/Mar/Nov/Dec is almost identical at 8.776p

And for those with both heat pumps and gas boilers the heat pump would be cheaper than the boiler so long as it achieves 2.5-3.0x COP which many seem to claim to be able to do
    Last edited by GreatApe; 13-01-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    • Mattster1974
    • By Mattster1974 14th Jan 20, 9:37 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mattster1974
    Hi i've been reading this thread with interest, i'm looking at the agile product and have a few questions if anyone can help?
    we have electric central heating with nest thermostat and a standard immersion with a timer (cant link to the nest due to the hotwater tank current too high for the nest link box i was told)
    I rather stupidly imported my nest account into google, does this mean i cant use IFTTT to control my heatingfor the Agile Octopus?

Im thinking that i can set the hot water to early morning and the heating not to come on during peak times which isnt an issue but feel that i will be missing out of the full benefits of taking advantage of the cheapest prices?

im guessingwith some smart plugs to control the hungry appliances and avoid peak times i can save maybe a pound or so a day, im currently spending around 100 a month for electric bill with no gas supply.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 14th Jan 20, 10:20 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Hi i've been reading this thread with interest, i'm looking at the agile product and have a few questions if anyone can help?
    we have electric central heating with nest thermostat and a standard immersion with a timer (cant link to the nest due to the hotwater tank current too high for the nest link box i was told)
    I rather stupidly imported my nest account into google, does this mean i cant use IFTTT to control my heatingfor the Agile Octopus?

Im thinking that i can set the hot water to early morning and the heating not to come on during peak times which isnt an issue but feel that i will be missing out of the full benefits of taking advantage of the cheapest prices?

im guessingwith some smart plugs to control the hungry appliances and avoid peak times i can save maybe a pound or so a day, im currently spending around 100 a month for electric bill with no gas supply.
    Originally posted by Mattster1974
    You would benefit from the agile tarriff even if you did nothing as would all high electricity users

It's your heating and hot water that will be the energy hogs

If you can just set them to avoid the 4pm to 7pm period the rest of the time you'd only pay about 8-9p which is about half the cost of a normal tarriff

I wouldn't worry about trying to time heating or hot water to the exact lowest penny
    Just avoid the 4-7pm peak prices and accept the rest will be the average of 8-9p sometimes more sometimes less

You might need to overheat your home from 15:30-16:00 so it's not too uncomfortable for the 3h heating is off

You could get a simple 3KW heater put it in the most central place and let it go full blast for one hour effectively storing 3KWh of heat in the building structure itself. And then it can go on for half an hour or so at 7pm so as to quickly raise the temperature back up

Experiment and see
    • shoom
    • By shoom 14th Jan 20, 10:51 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    shoom
    Or get some Infared panel heaters which use far less power and are much more efficient than convector heaters.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 14th Jan 20, 11:15 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Or get some Infared panel heaters which use far less power and are much more efficient than convector heaters.
    Originally posted by shoom

What about all the radiation they give off?

Would you like a higher rate of cancer?

• GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 2:20 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Can the octopus agile tarriff be used by small business too?

The cafe I go to the owners always complaining about how high the electric bill is
    I suspect his main problem is he leaves things on 24/7 maybe this is required for faster service and he can't do much about it or maybe he can but hasn't experimented or knows how to

Nonetheless the agile tarriff at an average 10.6p is probably cheaper than what he is on especially as he closes at 5 so all but one hour will be on the cheaper end of the tarriff
    • Mattster1974
    • By Mattster1974 15th Jan 20, 9:09 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mattster1974
    You would benefit from the agile tarriff even if you did nothing as would all high electricity users

It's your heating and hot water that will be the energy hogs

If you can just set them to avoid the 4pm to 7pm period the rest of the time you'd only pay about 8-9p which is about half the cost of a normal tarriff

I wouldn't worry about trying to time heating or hot water to the exact lowest penny
    Just avoid the 4-7pm peak prices and accept the rest will be the average of 8-9p sometimes more sometimes less

You might need to overheat your home from 15:30-16:00 so it's not too uncomfortable for the 3h heating is off

You could get a simple 3KW heater put it in the most central place and let it go full blast for one hour effectively storing 3KWh of heat in the building structure itself. And then it can go on for half an hour or so at 7pm so as to quickly raise the temperature back up

Experiment and see
    Originally posted by GreatApe
    Many thanks for your reply that's what i was thinking too with it being a good fit for a wet electric heating ststem, we are in a modern house so 3 hours without heat won't be an issue in going to install some smart plugs to switch off washing machine etc during peak too. Im looking at a plugin hybrid for my next company car too this this seems perfect for this as well.
    • Hexane
    • By Hexane 15th Jan 20, 10:16 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Hexane
    Im looking at a plugin hybrid for my next company car too this this seems perfect for this as well.
    If usage patterns allow, make sure you look at the financial benefits of an all-electric company car instead of a hybrid. The upcoming 0% benefit in kind rating could save you a fortune.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
    • Mattster1974
    • By Mattster1974 15th Jan 20, 11:29 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mattster1974
    If usage patterns allow, make sure you look at the financial benefits of an all-electric company car instead of a hybrid. The upcoming 0% benefit in kind rating could save you a fortune.
    Originally posted by Hexane
    I agree but do too many miles in a day unfortunately so plugin seems good compromise. Im looking at the ionic as an option.

I like the look of the plunge price events on agile when it goes minus and the prospect of sticking my 7KW central heating on full
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 15th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    GreatApe
    I agree but do too many miles in a day unfortunately so plugin seems good compromise. Im looking at the ionic as an option.

I like the look of the plunge price events on agile when it goes minus and the prospect of sticking my 7KW central heating on full

How many miles so you do?

I would also suggest a full EV rather than a plug in hybrid
    At this time the difference in price between the two is pretty low and if getting it through a company the EVs make more sense die to the tax rules

If you work very far from home try convince the company to install a charger that way almost any BEV will have more than enough range. Or if a 3 pin plug is available at your parking spot nearby use that to charge over an 8 hour work day you will recharge back up 80 miles using even a slow 3 pin plug
    • Mattster1974
    • By Mattster1974 15th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mattster1974
    How many miles so you do?

I would also suggest a full EV rather than a plug in hybrid
    At this time the difference in price between the two is pretty low and if getting it through a company the EVs make more sense die to the tax rules

If you work very far from home try convince the company to install a charger that way almost any BEV will have more than enough range. Or if a 3 pin plug is available at your parking spot nearby use that to charge over an 8 hour work day you will recharge back up 80 miles using even a slow 3 pin plug
    Originally posted by GreatApe
    Sometimes 3-400 miles in a day such as Bristol to Manchester, so it's a bit tight for a full ev unfortunately.
    My 2 and a half year old superb is on 85000 miles.
    • Hexane
    • By Hexane 16th Jan 20, 12:11 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Hexane
    Sometimes 3-400 miles in a day such as Bristol to Manchester, so it's a bit tight for a full ev unfortunately.
    My 2 and a half year old superb is on 85000 miles.
    Look into where the superchargers are between those places.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,849Posts Today

6,261Users online

Martin's Twitter