Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Jones
    • By Mr Jones 20th May 19, 8:54 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Mr Jones
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Canaries - insurance
    • 20th May 19, 8:54 AM
    0 WOW
    Car Hire Canaries - insurance 20th May 19 at 8:54 AM
    Good Morning

I thought I had found a good deal regarding car hire in Lanzarote

But when I clicked through to purchase the deal it came up with the following clause.

Collision/Loss Damage Waiver, Theft Protection and Additional Liability Insurance are excluded from the rental but will be available, if required, to purchase locally
    I intended to purchase car excess insurance separately in the UK but how can I also purchase collision/low damage ? Or is my only option to purchase the insurance when I pick up the car?
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 20th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 20th May 19, 10:46 AM
    CDW with an excess is usually provided when booking through a UK/EU website, so I don't know what you have found there.

In the Canaries I would recommend booking direct with either of the firms that provide full cover without excess, no messing you around and nothing else needed. One is Autoreisen, the name of the other I don't remember right now but somebody will.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    Agree with eDicky. If CDW is not included, you may be on to a hiding for nothing.
    You can buy policies that include CDW.
    Bettersafe, Insurance4Carhire and Carhireexcess sell them. Worldwideinsure too...perhaps.
    • Mr Jones
    • By Mr Jones 20th May 19, 1:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mr Jones
    • 20th May 19, 1:27 PM
    • 20th May 19, 1:27 PM
    Thanks
    The deal was offered via BA Executive Club - Avios.
    Just strange when the price excluded insurance - not the norm
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 20th May 19, 6:06 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 20th May 19, 6:06 PM
    • 20th May 19, 6:06 PM
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Mr Jones
    Was it aimed at business travellers/corporate rentals? Sometimes these exclude CDW etc as the company may have a policy that covers them.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th May 19, 9:06 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 20th May 19, 9:06 PM
    • 20th May 19, 9:06 PM
    Thanks
    https://www.bettersafe.com/car-hire-excess-insurance Daily Worldwide (inc. CDW & SLI) 4.49 per day.

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-excess-insurance.php is cheaper, but confirm their Deluxe Cover covers both CDW and Super CDW.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 19,059 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 PM
    Thanks
    Are you redeeming Avios to book car hire?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • danielson81
    • By danielson81 31st May 19, 2:21 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    danielson81
    • 31st May 19, 2:21 PM
    • 31st May 19, 2:21 PM
    Just book with Autoreisen or CiCar, they both have excellent reviews. Autoreisen invcludes all insurance and they dont ringfence your card. In fact all they care about, is if if you return the car with the same amount of fuel!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 31st May 19, 2:38 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 31st May 19, 2:38 PM
    • 31st May 19, 2:38 PM
    I would also recommend Cabrera Medina, who I think are connected to CiCar. They're probably not the cheapest, but CW inclusive and no post-use issues. Again, just replace the fuel you use.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 31st May 19, 2:41 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    travellerboy
    Always book with Auto Reisen. One of the best rates and no hassle, only wish their fuel policy was Full to Full.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 1st Jun 19, 11:49 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    Always book with Auto Reisen. One of the best rates and no hassle, only wish their fuel policy was Full to Full.
    Originally posted by travellerboy
    Oh well, at least it's not full to empty. And you have the fun challenge of trying to figure out how much you need to spend to get the fuel gauge back to exactly where it was when you collected the car...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 1st Jun 19, 12:19 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Oh well, at least it's not full to empty. And you have the fun challenge of trying to figure out how much you need to spend to get the fuel gauge back to exactly where it was when you collected the car...
    Originally posted by benjus
    Maybe better to fill her up soon after pick up.. Then perhaps easier to keep it topped up. Prices are very reasonable. Will perhaps use them if I ever visit the Canaries.
    • ic
    • By ic 4th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    +1 for Autoreisen. never had a problem with them. Whatever you do, don't go with Goldcar or their other brands Interent or Rhodium. They tried to rip me off, thankfully section 75 kicked in and got my 650 back.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Jun 19, 9:43 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 10,818 Thanks
    waamo
    Just book with Autoreisen or CiCar, they both have excellent reviews. Autoreisen invcludes all insurance and they dont ringfence your card. In fact all they care about, is if if you return the car with the same amount of fuel!
    Originally posted by danielson81
    I've just used them in Tenerife, at the South airport, and the policy was full to full. I don't know if this has been adopted throughout all their branches though.
    Last edited by waamo; 04-06-2019 at 9:45 PM.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

2,388Users online

Martin's Twitter