Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelle
    • By Shelle 17th May 19, 7:54 PM
    • 325Posts
    • 140Thanks
    Shelle
    Samsung v other brands sim free phones
    • 17th May 19, 7:54 PM
    Samsung v other brands sim free phones 17th May 19 at 7:54 PM
    My last 2 mobile phones have been from the Samsung Galaxy family and I am now looking for a new phone again. This time, after negotiating a sim card deal with my current supplier (EE) for 15 for 30gb after my contract for 40 ended, I thought it would be cheaper in the long run to keep the sim card and buy the handset outright.

I have loved my two previous Samsungs, however the single criticsm I would have is the battery life. My current phone which is coming up to 4 years has got so bad (granted to be expected) that I have to charge it up at least twice a day. But even when new if I was on holiday for example and took lots of photos (and I mean 100s!) I would run out of charge by the end of the day.

I know Samsung S10plus is considered to one of the best models in the current market, however it still mentions that the battery is not as good as it could be. Is there an equivalent that gives me a good battery life along with big screen and excellent photo quality? I saw some of the Huawei phones, however I wasnt sure of the security of the brand given recent headlines?

Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th May 19, 6:15 AM
    • 4,057 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 18th May 19, 6:15 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:15 AM
    Yes Buy a Huawei with one of their big batteries 4000mAh against Samsung 3400mAh

P10, P20 or the newest P30

as regards security issues on using a Huawei mobile its mostly rubbish hype

(If you use any BT/Sky/ etc etc who uses Open Reach phone line the chances are you are connected thru multiple pieces of Huawei kit, hard to avoid)

Last edited by ballyblack; 18-05-2019 at 8:30 AM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:35 AM
    the new Google Pixel 3a XL is getting good reviews and Google do monthly security updates too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/google-pixel-3a-xl-review-camera-android-software
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th May 19, 6:48 AM
    • 4,057 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 18th May 19, 6:48 AM
    • 18th May 19, 6:48 AM
    the new Google Pixel 3a XL is getting good reviews and Google do monthly security updates too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/google-pixel-3a-xl-review-camera-android-software
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Yes Pixel is a good phone and has no bloat on it like the Samsung.

However it only has a 3000mAh battery which is the main issue with the poster
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 18th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:07 AM
    I saw some of the Huawei phones, however I wasnt sure of the security of the brand given recent headlines?

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by Shelle
    Yes, stop reading and believing everything you see in the media.

As far as the phone goes then as stated, look at the Huawei or Xiaomi phones with 4000mAh batteries. The S10 Plus will cost you 500 plus so you've got a very large range to consider and will no doubt save a lot of money into the bargain.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 4,057 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 18th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:31 AM
    Yes, stop reading and believing everything you see in the media.

Good suggestion
    • Shelle
    • By Shelle 18th May 19, 8:12 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Shelle
    • 18th May 19, 8:12 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:12 PM
    Thanks to all of you who replied, very much appreciated!
    Had a quick look at the Huawei phones and certainly looks very impressive! And yes you are right, the media isnt always to be believed
    • will-he-payitoff
    • By will-he-payitoff 19th May 19, 9:12 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    will-he-payitoff
    • 19th May 19, 9:12 AM
    • 19th May 19, 9:12 AM
    Or you could buy a Pocophone F1 with a 4000ma battery for around 300.00
    • Chino
    • By Chino 19th May 19, 11:18 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Chino
    • 19th May 19, 11:18 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:18 AM
    And yes you are right, the media isnt always to be believed
    And neither are the uninformed opinions of random strangers on the internet.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 19th May 19, 9:38 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    It seems that Google may have to pull their services and the Play Store from Huawei phones. I think this may affect sales of their devices if it comes to pass.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 20th May 19, 3:54 AM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    It seems that Google may have to pull their services and the Play Store from Huawei phones. I think this may affect sales of their devices if it comes to pass.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    It will kill the sale of their phones.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 20th May 19, 6:58 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    smudger1964
    If its battery life you are after and a reasonable price Motorola G7 Power 5000 ma battery.Easily lasts 2 full days using it all the time
    Last edited by smudger1964; 20-05-2019 at 1:54 PM.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 20th May 19, 7:45 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    tonygold
    Thanks to all of you who replied, very much appreciated!
    Had a quick look at the Huawei phones and certainly looks very impressive! And yes you are right, the media isnt always to be believed

also consider the Moto G7 Power. i had a samsung S7 that was a great phone but needed charging twice a day so researched new lower priced handsets and settled on the G7 Power. it has a 5000mAh battery and truely lasts 2 days of heavy usage. i use it to watch sports on and the screen quality is excellent. possibly not as good as the samsung but not noticibly inferior.

others state that the camera in low light is not up tp much but i generally use it outdoors and picture quality is excellent. if battery life is the paramount imortance to you (as it was for me) i would highly recommend this handset.
    i bought from Amazon on it's release date in March of this year and at 179 i consider it a steal.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 20th May 19, 9:31 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Have a look at OnePlus 7 Pro
    • Makethedayscount
    • By Makethedayscount 20th May 19, 12:39 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Makethedayscount
    Can second how good the Motorola G6 and G7 are for battery life. Don't have statistics but never had a problem with battery life

• 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th May 19, 1:43 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Motorola wins hands down when you take in to account cost vs battery life
    My 3 year old G4 still lasts 24 hours of fairly heavy use - on a single charge
    and that is with the 3000mAh battery - the G7 has a 5000mAh battery - so should last 2 days +
    They are significantly cheaper than Samsung as well !!
    It's up to you - but I would avoid Huawei for the moment !
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-05-2019 at 1:45 PM.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 20th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Cisco001
    if OP looking at S10+ to start with, I doubt camera at Moto G7 power is good enough for her.
    • Shelle
    • By Shelle 20th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Shelle
    Well that was a turn of events wasnt it!!

I so very nearly went into town to look and possibly buy the Huawei P30pro phone as after looking at various options and the P30 series I decided it fitted my needs. Turns out to be fortitious that I didnt make it judging by the news today

Back to the drawing boards and will have a look at those other models suggested by some of you
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Well that was a turn of events wasnt it!!

I so very nearly went into town to look and possibly buy the Huawei P30pro phone as after looking at various options and the P30 series I decided it fitted my needs. Turns out to be fortitious that I didnt make it judging by the news today

Back to the drawing boards and will have a look at those other models suggested by some of you
    It's possible that this will never actually happen but then again it's not my money

Maybe have a look at the Xiaomi Pocophone F1 mentioned earlier which has a cracking spec including a 4000mAh battery for a lot less than a Samsung 10 Plus.

https://www.mi.com/uk/pocophone-f1/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

5,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin