Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 17th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 151Posts
    • 27Thanks
    illusionek
    Is it leak or damp?
    • 17th May 19, 7:03 PM
    Is it leak or damp? 17th May 19 at 7:03 PM
    Hello

I have recently noticed that the door frame in my bathroom started going brownish at the bottom next to the shower. When I moved to the house there was a problem with a leaking shower and bottom of the frame was actually wet and rotten. I did total bathroom refurb last summer and all was fine until few weeks ago when I noticed this brownish spot. I am just not sure if this me being unlucky with another leak or perhaps this is an issue of dampness coming through as there is evidence, I believe of dampness, on a skirting board which is just outside of the bathroom, next to the door frame. Having said that I cannot rule out the skirting board was damaged by previous shower leak as it is on the same wall as shower. So I am in a pickle whats the problem is

Would appreciate any suggestions how to tackle this.

Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 26,736 Posts
    • 71,648 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 17th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 17th May 19, 7:59 PM
    Do you have a downstairs to that bathroom? What's on the ceiling below?

It looks very much like a leak. These things aren't usually coincidences. ie. a damp patch behind a shower is usually a leak.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 17th May 19, 8:23 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 17th May 19, 8:23 PM
    • 17th May 19, 8:23 PM
    Sorry I forgot to mention this bathroom is downstairs. I live in semi Victorian and bathroom is in extension through the kitchen. Thats the reason I was considering damp too.

Does the above change anything or is it leak indeed?
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th May 19, 9:17 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 3,591 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 17th May 19, 9:17 PM
    • 17th May 19, 9:17 PM
    Looks like a leak to me too. Could just be the sealant or the tiles / grout in the enclosure. Not necessarily a pipe.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 18th May 19, 1:04 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 18th May 19, 1:04 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:04 PM
    I can replace sealant easily but for the tiles/grout?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,696Posts Today

6,883Users online

Martin's Twitter