Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buttercup79
    • By Buttercup79 17th May 19, 4:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Buttercup79
    Dental concern
    • 17th May 19, 4:59 PM
    Dental concern 17th May 19 at 4:59 PM
    Hi all, hoping some lovely person out there can help me. Went to NHS Dentist Tues this week (after the usual 3 month wait). Had some treatment - no injection involved - and at the time thought there was something on the cotton roll used between my upper lip and gum. They felt cold and damp, my mouth stung/had a burning sensation, lips tingled, and had a very nasty taste on my lips afterwards (reminded me of what you used to paint on your nails to stop biting them). I asked at the time and didn't get a straight answer.
    The next day all the skin inside my lips peeled (like the roof of your mouth sometimes does) and they still feel tender, as does the tip of my tongue. I rang the dentist to try and find out so that I could get it put on my record not to use again, and they said they would ring back and let me know.
    Today, having heard nothing, I rang them to be told they don't, and never have, put anything on the cotton rolls.
    Does this sound like something I should keep chasing, or should I keep my metaphorical mouth shut in case I can't get any treatment completed? I've been left feeling more than a bit anxious!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas x
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 17th May 19, 6:12 PM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 17th May 19, 6:12 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:12 PM
    In dentistry nothing is put on the cotton wool rolls as they are only there to keep the tooth dry.

I don't know what you had done but if you eg , had some white filling placed as part of that procedure a gel is used to roughen up the tooth to make it sticky ..... acid etch. If you close your mouth or lick your lips whilst it is being used this can get spread about. It tastes horrible and can make your gum peel. This is harmless and quickly heals.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 17th May 19, 6:17 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 17th May 19, 6:17 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:17 PM
    I've had topical anaesthesia applied with cotton wool rolls many times - no side effects though.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 17th May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 3,984 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 17th May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 17th May 19, 9:03 PM
    Op didn't have anaesthetic therefore no reason to use topical as no injection given and topical gel is not used for anything else.
    Also topical gels are flavoured eg bubblegum .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

416Posts Today

3,840Users online

Martin's Twitter