Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dominicnp
    • By dominicnp 17th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 4Thanks
    dominicnp
    0 WOW
    P and O cruises - price significantly lower than when we booked!
    • 17th May 19, 2:49 PM
    0 WOW
    P and O cruises - price significantly lower than when we booked! 17th May 19 at 2:49 PM
    Hi

My wife booked us a mini cruise with P & O for the start of July at a cost of 329 per person. She booked early as she assumed that this would mean getting a good price.

However, we have just checked the price of the cruise now and it has dropped significantly by 70 per person.

I have contacted P & O to see what they can do regarding this and they have offered a balcony upgrade - which while ok for a longer cruise I dont think we would get much benefit from on a short cruise.

I was unable to get them to refund the difference or even offer any on board credit instead.

My question is has anyone had a similar experience and what resolution did you manage to achieve?

Am I aiming too high to ask for on board credit even and should I take the offer of a balcony upgrade as that is the best that I will get?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 17th May 19, 2:57 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 17th May 19, 2:57 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:57 PM
    You booked a holiday at a price you were happy at, the moral is to book a holiday/flight and then never check the price again.

Would you be offering to pay the difference had the price gone up 70pp?
    • dominicnp
    • By dominicnp 17th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dominicnp
    • 17th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:17 PM
    I appreciate that - and I am happy to pay that price. However, in the spirit of money saving what I was wondering was whether anyone had any experience of getting P & O to offer them on-board credit or similar?

Seems a bit silly not to see if anyone has had a similar experience and had a good result. If you don't ask you don't get!

Thanks!
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 17th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 11,992 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 17th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:20 PM
    I would take the balcony upgrade as goodwill gesture...better than nothing
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 17th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 17th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 17th May 19, 7:02 PM
    She booked early as she assumed that this would mean getting a good price.
    It doesn't work that way with cruises.

Some folks book early because they are tied into set holiday dates and want a guaranteed reservation, or want a specific cabin.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 17th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    tgon
    • 17th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 17th May 19, 8:32 PM
    You booked a holiday at a price you were happy at, the moral is to book a holiday/flight and then never check the price again.

Would you be offering to pay the difference had the price gone up 70pp?
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    +1 on this advice. Take the upgrade and have a great cruise.
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 18th May 19, 12:02 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    Backbiter
    • 18th May 19, 12:02 AM
    • 18th May 19, 12:02 AM

Some folks book early because they are tied into set holiday dates and want a guaranteed reservation, or want a specific cabin.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    It does if you book with an American agent, who will rebook you at a lower price if the price drops. You do need to ask them first, though
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 18th May 19, 12:09 AM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 11,910 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    • 18th May 19, 12:09 AM
    • 18th May 19, 12:09 AM

You are quite right. However, there is no hard and fast rule as to when you will get the best price. We are regular cruisers and used to monitor prices of ones we were interested in, then book when the price fell to what we wanted to pay. For a long time it was usually around 8-10 weeks before departure.

In the last couple of years we have found that some cruises, notably not in the peak season, are at their best prices soon after release, which can be more than a year in advance. We have P&O cruises booked for both November and December this year where the price was around 50pppn. We also have one booked on Iona for November 2020 for a similar price. All are now more expensive.

It's all down to what you are happy to pay. Being flexible over cabins will also make for a better deal, I can never understand why people are so picky about cabins.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • zerog
    • By zerog 18th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 18th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:27 AM
    Do P&O offer refundable rates? If you are worried about prices dropping then book refundable rates.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 18th May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Neil49
    Cruise prices can drop as the departure date gets to less than 12 weeks as this is the time when full payment is required. It's at this point that people change their minds and cancel.

The gamble of booking late is that the supply of cabins can be limited and we have found that you tend to get cabins in poorer locations on the ship while those who book early can find that they have been moved to a better cabin automatically.

On a short cruise cabin location isn't that important but do you want to be situated under the nightclub or the kitchens for 2 weeks? That is what can happen if you leave it to the last minute.

Take the upgrade and enjoy yourselves.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 18th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Wasn't there a similar thread recently where the advice was to cancel and re-book at the lower price?

Obviously depends on the cancellation fee and the amount of saving. I wouldn't have thought it worth the hassle but depends on the amount saved.
    • IvanOpinion
    • By IvanOpinion 18th May 19, 9:47 AM
    • 20,007 Posts
    • 19,839 Thanks
    IvanOpinion
    Are you definitely comparing like-with-like ?
    Is the OBC the same?
    Is it possible one is an early saver fare and the other is a select fare?
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 18th May 19, 10:38 AM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 11,910 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    Cruise prices can drop as the departure date gets to less than 12 weeks as this is the time when full payment is required. It's at this point that people change their minds and cancel.

The gamble of booking late is that the supply of cabins can be limited and we have found that you tend to get cabins in poorer locations on the ship while those who book early can find that they have been moved to a better cabin automatically.

On a short cruise cabin location isn't that important but do you want to be situated under the nightclub or the kitchens for 2 weeks? That is what can happen if you leave it to the last minute.

Take the upgrade and enjoy yourselves.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    This is true, the 10/12-week cut off for payment did seem to release cabins and there were good prices to be found. This is not always so true now. As I said before, there are also great off-peak bargains available around 18 months in advance these days. You have to be flexible to get the best deals.

For example, we booked a 12-night cruise to the Canaries in November. Booking last December it cost 649, and is now showing at 729. Our December one to the Med cost us 547 at the same time, but is now 699. Both still decent prices though.

We aren't too worried where our cabin is. Some people prefer to be in the middle and on a higher deck, so those cabins cost more even though they are all the same. But on the large modern ships you feel far less movement anyway. We are happy to have a 'guarantee' cabin which is the lowest price and allocated nearer departure. You invariably get a higher grade than you paid for. If we do get a choice, we choose one convenient for lifts, restaurants and pools. We have never been allocated a less than satisfactory cabin.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • ToxicWomble
    • By ToxicWomble 19th May 19, 11:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    ToxicWomble
    If the price had gone up would you be happy to stump up the extra ??

Thought not.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 19th May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    It does if you book with an American agent, who will rebook you at a lower price if the price drops. You do need to ask them first, though

From what I've heard, certain cruise lines won't accept a booking made by a UK resident using a non British travel agent.
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 20th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    travellerboy
    From what I've heard, certain cruise lines won't accept a booking made by a UK resident using a non British travel agent.
    You can book any cruise other than those owned by Carnival Corp that includes Carnival, Cunard, Princess, P&O, Holland America, Costa, Aida and Seabourne. There is no problem booking any other cruise line.
    We have booked Celebrity , Royal Caribbean and MSC via a US travel agency.
    One of the best US agents is www.americandiscountcruises.com they offer great deals, many with onboard credit, free gratuities and all with refundable deposits and have a free UK telephone number ( 0800 098 8041 )
    These days some of the cruise deals are cheaper in the UK, you need to research the one you are interested in before you jump.
    Also try www.seascanner.com they are a German company charges in Euros but their deposits are non-refundable like the UK. The best UK cruise agent is www.vivavoyage.co.uk great service and lowest price in the UK.

Our next two MSC cruises are booked with the American agency - no problem, great service always pay by CC and refundable up to final payment any price drops are always honoured. Happy cruising.
    Last edited by travellerboy; 20-05-2019 at 2:38 PM.
    • davelewis
    • By davelewis 20th May 19, 3:04 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    davelewis
    Cruises are notorious for price changes. I have a cruise on my laptop that I keep an eye on - the price changes every few days when I refresh the screen. When the price is right - I'll pounce and not look again!
    • harz99
    • By harz99 20th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    harz99
    You can book any cruise other than those owned by Carnival Corp that includes Carnival, Cunard, Princess, P&O, Holland America, Costa, Aida and Seabourne. There is no problem booking any other cruise line.
    We have booked Celebrity , Royal Caribbean and MSC via a US travel agency.
    One of the best US agents is www.americandiscountcruises.com they offer great deals, many with onboard credit, free gratuities and all with refundable deposits and have a free UK telephone number ( 0800 098 8041 )
    These days some of the cruise deals are cheaper in the UK, you need to research the one you are interested in before you jump.
    Also try www.seascanner.com they are a German company charges in Euros but their deposits are non-refundable like the UK. The best UK cruise agent is www.vivavoyage.co.uk great service and lowest price in the UK.

Our next two MSC cruises are booked with the American agency - no problem, great service always pay by CC and refundable up to final payment any price drops are always honoured. Happy cruising.
    Originally posted by travellerboy
    Be careful with US agents when booking Royal Caribbean and Celebrity nowadays, they are moving ever closer towards non refundable deposits.

People considering a US agency might also consider Vacationtogo.com.
    • mickey234
    • By mickey234 21st May 19, 10:39 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    mickey234
    Be careful with US agents when booking Royal Caribbean and Celebrity nowadays, they are moving ever closer towards non refundable deposits.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Not correct. Both Celebrity and RCL offer refundable deposits and for a further discount offer a non-refundable option.
    They make it very clear when booking and its your choice which option you choose. Our US cousins wouldn't stand for the way we are treated and our consumer protection is a long way behind the US.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 21st May 19, 10:51 AM
    • 6,515 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Originally posted by travellerboy
    Excellent info in your posting.

Any particular reason you're going with MSC?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,507Posts Today

5,911Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin