Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 17th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 91Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Janjel
    hoist Portfoilio
    • 17th May 19, 1:10 PM
    hoist Portfoilio 17th May 19 at 1:10 PM
    Hi

hoist portfolio have put a default on my credit report for a debt they bought from a credit card company i was in a debt management plan with - my plan ended well over a year ago. I have requested via Equifax and resolver for details how they feel this money is owed too them and they keep telling Equifax and credit services association that they are requesting information from credit card company. This has been going on from August last year and they are still apparently waiting for the information - is there any other regulatory body i can report them to as they are affecting my credit rating badly with this default to the extent it is affecting mortgage application - please help

Thank you
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 17th May 19, 1:12 PM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 2,532 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 17th May 19, 1:12 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:12 PM
    Are you disputing the debt?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 4,502 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:25 PM
    If you were on a DMP then the account would still likely be defaulted.

Are you saying the money is paid off?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th May 19, 2:31 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 17th May 19, 2:31 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:31 PM
    A debt can only be defaulted once.
    Presumably the original account that you finished repaying last year is still shown on your credit files?
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 17th May 19, 2:42 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    • 17th May 19, 2:42 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:42 PM
    As far as i am concerned the debt was paid off in DMP - the amounts owed when i entered and the amounts the DMP company got from credit card company were the same - the thing is the credit card company never made any attempt to contact me about any extra charges or anything they might have put on so i do not know where the so called outstanding balance is from?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th May 19, 3:43 PM
    • 4,502 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th May 19, 3:43 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:43 PM
    Have you contacted them and asked?
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 18th May 19, 7:31 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    • 18th May 19, 7:31 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:31 AM
    i have contacted them direct by email, via resolver and equifax - they just keep saying to all of us that they are waiting for information from company they bought debt off - this has been going on for over 8 months - surely they would have had information before now - it does not take that long to get information
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 22,109 Posts
    • 24,112 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:45 AM
    i have contacted them direct by email, via resolver and equifax - they just keep saying to all of us that they are waiting for information from company they bought debt off
    Originally posted by Janjel
    All of you? How many people and debts are involved here?

A credit card debt can only be in one person's name. Is there a misunderstanding about what's being asked for?
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    • 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    It is still the one company who bought the so called debt of a credit card company I paid off through DMP. But they have been contacted be me directly and I have also reported this to equifax and resolved who each contacted them also
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 17,227 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    sourcrates
    It is still the one company who bought the so called debt of a credit card company I paid off through DMP. But they have been contacted be me directly and I have also reported this to equifax and resolved who each contacted them also

The correct way to challange this is to send Hoist the "provit letter" this asks them to prove their claim against you.

They should then respond with details of the debt, if you still dispute the debt, then you write back and tell them so, providing your evidence to back up your case, you may discover a balance was still outstanding, in which case that will need dealing with.

The last thing you do, if you don`t indeed owe anything, is ask Hoist to remove all such detail from your credit file, any problems with doing that, contact the ICO who can help you.

The credit reference agencies only act on information given to them by the creditors, so asking them to remove data that has yet to be proved either correct or incorrect, is pointless.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 18th May 19, 4:34 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    Thank you
    Thank you for this reply, I will send a provit via email as want to keep track of the correspondence. Can I ask what ICO stands for please.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 18th May 19, 4:44 PM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 2,532 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Ideally, you should send by the proveit by Royal Mail. I believe Hoist may refuse to respond to an email for Data Protection reasons. If you take the letter to the Post Office you can get a 'proof of posting' receipt (it is free).

ICO stands for Information Commissioners Office.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 17,227 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you for this reply, I will send a provit via email as want to keep track of the correspondence. Can I ask what ICO stands for please.

No, not email, for the reasons willing to learn has stated, it must be a proper letter.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 18th May 19, 6:49 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    I did not want them having my new address as I strongly feel they are chancing their arm
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th May 19, 6:58 PM
    • 4,502 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Then don’t expect it to get resolved
    • Janjel
    • By Janjel 18th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Janjel
    I also meant to say they have responded before to emails from myself and to equifax and resolved but each time stating they are waiting for information from the original credit card company. This has been going on from August last year and I am glad it is all done by email as evidence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,816Posts Today

5,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin