Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortseller09
    • By shortseller09 17th May 19, 1:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shortseller09
    CETV query
    • 17th May 19, 1:06 PM
    CETV query 17th May 19 at 1:06 PM
    Hi, not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but I requested a CETV in early 2017 and then again earlier this year. My queries are:
    1. The values are almost identical yet gilt yields are significantly lower, inflation expectations are not hugely different, and I am two years older. I understand many factors are taken into account, but the main ones I noted favour an increase in value, particularly as the scheme is well funded.
    2. Drilling down, the GMP transfer value has increased by £40k from £80k to £120k. I realise equalisation has had an effect, but 50%?
    3. The other rights have decreased by £40k from £520k to £480k, can any one shed any light on what could cause a decrease given the gilt yield etc?

I have contacted the scheme several times but am still awaiting specific answers.
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • By 232607 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    • 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    The fact youíre 2 years older would not necessarily favour an increase. The scheme may have altered the investment risk allocation it attributes to the fund and this may have altered transfer values.

Itís not as simple as looking a gilt figures. Thereís lots of other things that could come in to play.
    Iíve seen transfer figures swing by large amounts over a 3 month period when old ones ran out of date.
    CETVís are still around historical highs so logic says thereís more risk to them lowering than rising although no one knows.

Ultimately if youíre happy with what is being offered take it, if not donít.
    But donít think whatís being offered will still be on the table in another 2 years time because that is a dangerous game to play.
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 17th May 19, 4:37 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    • 17th May 19, 4:37 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:37 PM
    Hi, not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but I requested a CETV in early 2017 and then again earlier this year. My queries are:
    1. The values are almost identical yet gilt yields are significantly lower, inflation expectations are not hugely different, and I am two years older. I understand many factors are taken into account, but the main ones I noted favour an increase in value, particularly as the scheme is well funded.
    2. Drilling down, the GMP transfer value has increased by £40k from £80k to £120k. I realise equalisation has had an effect, but 50%?
    3. The other rights have decreased by £40k from £520k to £480k, can any one shed any light on what could cause a decrease given the gilt yield etc?

I have contacted the scheme several times but am still awaiting specific answers.
    Many thanks.
    Originally posted by shortseller09
    Why would the scheme's level of funding affect a transfer value?

A liability (to provide you will an income, deferred, for the rest of your natural life, according to the scheme rules) can be valued - whether the fund actually contains enough resources to cover all its liabilities doesn't affect the value of those liabilities.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 17th May 19, 7:50 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    • 17th May 19, 7:50 PM
    • 17th May 19, 7:50 PM
    Why would the scheme's level of funding affect a transfer value?

A liability (to provide you will an income, deferred, for the rest of your natural life, according to the scheme rules) can be valued - whether the fund actually contains enough resources to cover all its liabilities doesn't affect the value of those liabilities.
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    A scheme will reduce transfer values to protect its solvency if it is in deficit. However any CETV quote should state that the transfer values have been reduced, though I don't know if the reduction needs to be specified. A transfer value is only an option and the member is under no obligation to take it.

A bit like an MVA from a with profits fund to protect the benefits of the remaining members.
    Financial Independence with SIPP in June 2019 (all being well).
    Too young to retire - going part time 2 days a week as a test.
    • shortseller09
    • By shortseller09 20th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shortseller09
    • 20th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 20th May 19, 1:03 PM
    Thank you for your views.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin