Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tony1864
    • By Tony1864 17th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tony1864
    Bank Account Blocked!
    • 17th May 19, 12:05 PM
    Bank Account Blocked! 17th May 19 at 12:05 PM
    Hello,
    My 19 year old sons Barclays bank account has been closed due to suspicious activity on his account. This happened a few years ago when he lost his card. He didn't know he'd lost his card until months later and didn't tell me either.
    He can now, no longer open a bank account anywhere. And Barclays won't talk to us.
    Can anyone help?
    Many Thanks
    Tony
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 17th May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:08 PM
    He needs to be patient. Barclay's investigations will take as long as it takes.

When it is resolved open a second bank account.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th May 19, 12:11 PM
    • 10,199 Posts
    • 15,849 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 17th May 19, 12:11 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:11 PM
    Money mule?

https://www.moneymules.co.uk/
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 12:13 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 18,636 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th May 19, 12:13 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:13 PM
    He needs to be patient. Barclay's investigations will take as long as it takes.

When it is resolved open a second bank account.
    Originally posted by Robin9

As the card loss and suspicious activity happened several years ago I doubt if Barclays are still investigating, Much more likely is that the OP's son has a CIFAS marker placed against him by Barclays. He needs to find out whether this is the case by making a SAR.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:30 PM
    Who doesn't use their card for months!?
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 17th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    18cc
    • 17th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:45 PM
    hi just to check, reading your post it seems like the account was closed several years ago ?

has he only just now got round to trying to.open a new one?

also, how old was he several years ago ?
    Last edited by 18cc; 17-05-2019 at 2:35 PM.
    • Tony1864
    • By Tony1864 17th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tony1864
    • 17th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:54 PM
    Well, a 16 year old who has very little or no money in their account!
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 17th May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 17th May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:59 PM
    Hello,
    My 19 year old sons Barclays bank account has been closed due to suspicious activity on his account. This happened a few years ago when he lost his card. He didn't know he'd lost his card until months later and didn't tell me either.
    He can now, no longer open a bank account anywhere. And Barclays won't talk to us.
    Can anyone help?
    Many Thanks
    Tony
    Originally posted by Tony1864
    Do you suspect your son 'sold' his account to organised criminals? Have you been able to view any of his bank statements from around the time he allegedly lost his card? If you can, you may see money that you know your son didn't have coming in and going out of the account.

To be honest, the only time a person could ever really know that their card was lost several months before noticing, is if they don't look at their account for several months and then find 'months-old' card activity on it (that they didn't make). If that is the case, how could it be in any way noteworthy activity if there was never much money in the account - and what was your son doing for money during that time?

I suspect your son may be misleading you with his version of events and something untoward has been happening, hence some sort of fraud marker has been placed against his name.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    As the card loss and suspicious activity happened several years ago I doubt if Barclays are still investigating, .........]
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Apologies I missed the time frame aspect.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th May 19, 7:52 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Hello,
    Can anyone help?
    Many Thanks
    Tony
    Well, a 16 year old who has very little or no money in their account!
    So the has been managing without an account for the last 3 years? Why?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-05-2019 at 7:54 PM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th May 19, 10:22 PM
    • 10,199 Posts
    • 15,849 Thanks
    worried jim
    So the has been managing without an account for the last 3 years? Why?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Barclays closed it as he was letting other people use the account but three years later (with a six year Cifas marker) he is finding life a bit harder with out banking facilities. Would be my best guess.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 19th May 19, 1:05 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Who doesn't use their card for months!?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Maybe not for a week at an absolute stretch.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 19th May 19, 3:13 AM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Hello,
    Can anyone help?
    As others have speculated, your son's bank account was probably used for dodgy activities; either with or without his knowledge.

As has been suggested, your son should do a SAR to CIFAS and, perhaps, Barclays to find out where things stand now.

From a practical perspective, savings accounts tend to have less stringent application criteria than current accounts. Yorkshire Bank even offers one that comes with a basic debit card. Several come with an ATM card.

Or a prepaid card might be an option.

Some of the online 'challenger' banks have a lower acceptance threshold than high street banks.

Some credit unions offer basic banking facilities, particularly via an Engage Account. Even if your son's local credit union doesn't offer that, he could probably have income paid in to a savings account with them and withdraw it using a membership card.

The difficulties he has opening a bank account now are temporary and will probably last another three years or so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,594Posts Today

5,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin