Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rye93
    • By Rye93 17th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Rye93
    Returning to work injured
    • 17th May 19, 11:54 AM
    Returning to work injured 17th May 19 at 11:54 AM
    Hi Guy's,

I've just signed up as I need some advice and any given would be greatly appriciated. I have recently broken my foot and have a cast and crutches for 8 weeks. The hospital have given me sick note for a week so I am due back at work this Tuesday. The hospital have also given a me a sick note for 8 weeks after this one runs out.

There are no dates on the 8 week sick note as I explained work may be able to make adjustments as I work in an office. The thing is, I am worried about the commute to work as I rely on buses and I am not confident using my crutches as I have fallen over several times with them already. I wouldnt be able to afford taxis every day and a lift from a friend wouldnt be possible.

Also, my office is a lot of stairs to access, but there is a second office with lift access. I am concerned of this as if there was a fire, my understanding is that you cant use a lift in this event and the only other option is more stairs. I have said to work I will come in on Tuesday to see if they can make adjustments, but the points I've made have made me think if this is such a good idea.

Would anybody have any advice on how I should proceed with this as I am worried about work not being happy with me and if anything bad can come from this.

Thanks
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 34,231 Posts
    • 21,627 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:00 PM
    If you were able to get a lift to work and you were working on the ground floor it would be ok, I'd only return to work if A I was confident I could get to work ok and I'd be on the ground floor.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 12:04 PM
    • 9,336 Posts
    • 31,211 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 17th May 19, 12:04 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:04 PM
    Phone your boss and ask when you can book a time to talk to them.

Then go through basic safety at work, what to do in case of fire etc & let them decide you hustling back is a bad idea & figure a staged return.

Include agreed times off to attend frac clinic, physio etc - does your employer have an internal occupational health contact who might be in a contractually obliged position to advise you both?

Do not try to get back if you're not (yet) sound on crutches & there isn't a coherent plan to evacuate you in case of fire.

If they can lend you a laptop, workphone with wireless hotspot & some straightforward boring desk work you can do at home, that ticks loads of boxes about maintaining communications with employee and getting work done without requiring you to play dice with your health.

If they don't have this, suggest it might be really useful to manager to have, for future business continuity etc & in the short term for you to work without the worry of the stairs.

Talk to them. Face to face is better than phone, but if you do not want your boss to see you at home, book a phone call?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 17th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 6,994 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 17th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:20 PM
    Doesn't you employer have existing fire risk assessments?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 18,636 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:21 PM
    Many years ago when I had a leg in plaster from ankle to upper thigh I had to stay off work for 4 weeks simply because of the impracticality of getting from home to the office. These days I would probably have been able to do that work from home (and I now work from home anyway so I'd have little excuse) but 33 years ago that really wasn't possible.
    • polgara
    • By polgara 17th May 19, 12:26 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    polgara
    • 17th May 19, 12:26 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:26 PM
    Whilst it is not your employer's responsibility of how you get to work any decent employer should work with you about a plan - could there be a colleague who could give you a lift or could you work remotely as discussed previously.

If you go back to the office environment then you/they should discuss a PEEP (personal emergency evacuation plan) - ie. there could be an evacuation chair with people trained on getting you out of the building or the building may have a refuge point where you could wait for the Fire Brigade - basically its a Fire Risk Assessment.
    • Rye93
    • By Rye93 17th May 19, 1:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rye93
    • 17th May 19, 1:16 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:16 PM
    I'd like to thank everybody who have taken the time to read and reply to me. I really do appriciate it. Everyones advice has greatly helped and I am feeling more confident about returning to work. I think I will return on tuesday and ask to see if a family member will be able to take me to work and have a meeting to discuss things further. Hopefully there wont be any issues as I dont want to feel like a burden to the company. Again, thank you all very much for your time and contributions, i really do appriciate it
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 6,389 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 17th May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:09 PM
    From a company perspective, the important thing should be looking at the practicalities of getting out of the building in the event of a fire. If they either expect you to wait until everybody else is out before leaving, or there are concerns about you blocking the stairs or being knocked over, you should not return to work.
    A friend of mine was confined to a wheelchair due to illness, but there were a group of people who worked a rota to ensure there were people available to get him out in the event of a fire. There was one occasion when the alarm went off during the lunch hour and he was left stranded in the building. Thankfully it was a false alarm, but after that all fire marshals had to inform the fire brigade of his location if he wasn't out.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 17th May 19, 5:24 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 7,168 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 17th May 19, 5:24 PM
    • 17th May 19, 5:24 PM
    The other point is that you will soon be much more practised on crutches, and your foot will be healing - I expect you will find the 8th week far easier than the first.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,484Posts Today

6,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin