Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johnbobman
    • By johnbobman 17th May 19, 11:51 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    johnbobman
    How to reduce the sound from around the bedroom window?
    • 17th May 19, 11:51 AM
    How to reduce the sound from around the bedroom window? 17th May 19 at 11:51 AM
    Hi,

I've been having a bit of a problem for the last two months with what I believe is too much noise coming through the window in my bedroom. It's not much of a problem at night until the early hours of the morning where I get woken up by the birds (especially Collared Doves!). I can also hear the dual carriageway nearby quite well, and closing the window only reduces noise slightly.
    I have double glazing in the bedroom and I have checked for any gaps around the seals and I don't see any issues/feel air. The space between the panels don't appear to be that wide, compared to where I used to live they are wider and I couldn't hear much if the windows were closed. I'm not sure on the age of the glass or the frame, but they don't seem to have visibly deteriorated.
    I'm having to wear earplugs to get a good night sleep, which I don't want to do as I've had problems with my ears in the past.
    There seems to be about 3inch wide expanding foam behind a upvc panel to the left of the window, but I'm not sure if you can put anything instead of that.
    I also plan on getting new soffits and fascias soon anyway, so I don't know if that will help.
    The main thing I want to know is if increasing the space between the glass panels is a viable option and if that is expensive to do?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th May 19, 12:43 PM
    • 24,623 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 17th May 19, 12:43 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:43 PM
    What changed two months ago?

Changing the seals is the quickest and easiest thing to try. DIY secondary glazing (eg. polycarbonate sheet, magnetic strip) is effective in reducing noise, even with windows that are already double glazed.

Are your curtains effective at maintaining darkness? You might be awakening due to a combination of the noise and lighter mornings. Thick/ heavy curtains can also muffle noise somewhat.

If you drink any caffeine or alcohol that might also be playing a role, even if drunk many hours earlier, even if not appearing to impact your ability to get to sleep.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

6,148Users online

Martin's Twitter