Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Top Dog
    • By Top Dog 17th May 19, 11:15 AM
    • 146Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Top Dog
    My Mini Fridge
    • 17th May 19, 11:15 AM
    My Mini Fridge 17th May 19 at 11:15 AM
    9 Years ago I bought a second hand Mini Fridge and everything was fine until about a month ago when the motor started to switch on for about 10 minutes then off for about 20 minutes then on and off every 10 and 20 minutes when before It used to switch on only once every couple of hours . Is it coming to the end of it,s working life . it still does the job of keeping the food ok and there is always ice in the ice box
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 19, 11:26 AM
    • 6,879 Posts
    • 6,796 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th May 19, 11:26 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:26 AM
    How old was it when you bought it? Add that to 9 years and you've got its true age. You can then make your own mind up.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • that
    • By that 17th May 19, 5:31 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    that
    • 17th May 19, 5:31 PM
    • 17th May 19, 5:31 PM
    the question does it still cool? does it have to run longer that it should to keep cool, the radiator goes hot? - this indicates more on the motor side. (providing the insulation and door seals are in tact)

the switching off and on, running when it should not is more a thermostat thing which should be dependent of the fridge temp. A good thermostat should always keep the fridge running until it get the require temp then switch off - in theory. Same as your house thermostat and boiler, but in reverse as it switches on when it is too hot.

Sitting in front/ behind of the fridge, you could bypass the thermostat for 5 mins, see if it drops temp and the inside heat exchanger get frosty, or very cold.

Checked youtube?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th May 19, 4:03 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 6,938 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 18th May 19, 4:03 PM
    • 18th May 19, 4:03 PM
    Check the door seals and defrost it.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Top Dog
    • By Top Dog 21st May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Top Dog
    • 21st May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 21st May 19, 11:08 AM
    Check the door seals and defrost it.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

I will do that but I am almost certain that the door seals are ok and not causing it to switch on and off every ten minutes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin