Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NeilDeWheel
    • By NeilDeWheel 17th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NeilDeWheel
    2 year old washing machine beyond economical repair.
    • 17th May 19, 10:57 AM
    2 year old washing machine beyond economical repair. 17th May 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hi All,

I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of 489. The bearings have now gone and after calling out Zanussi (Electrolux) the have deemed it beyond economical repair as the drum needs replacing.

I find this disgusting that such an expensive item should be scrap after only 2 years. Have i any recourse against Curries under the Consumer Rights Act as I feel a, nearly, 500 machine shouldn't be scrap after such a short time?

Also, when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell and didn't even attempt to open the machine to check. Would I be due a refund from Zanussi as I didn't get the inspection I asked for?

Thanks in advance,
    NDW.
Page 2
    • Tammydreaper
    • By Tammydreaper 17th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Tammydreaper
    I also had a Zanussi drum fail with me ,it was not much more than 2 years old.It was the bigger drum with the faster speed and wasn't the cheapest.I never got it looked at.

I just bought a cheap Indesit from Tesco Direct,I also had a dicount through work and Tesco also had a deal on,so landed paying abou 150.It is about 2 years old and has been trouble free.

I will never buy another Zanussi
    Last edited by Tammydreaper; 17-05-2019 at 8:58 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 34,180 Posts
    • 21,593 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I have skimmed over some of the replies so apologies but have you had an independant person look at it ?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 18th May 19, 11:03 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I'm saying send the letter, if that doesn't work get the report and go back to them.

I didn't advise OP to start small claims proceedings, simply to send Currys a letter stating they intend to.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head

Ah. It's just that in post #13 you kept referring to "the claim" so I assumed that's what you meant.

I wouldn't send a LBA unless I was going to follow through on it, and for that I'd want the independent report first.
    • NeilDeWheel
    • By NeilDeWheel 18th May 19, 2:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeilDeWheel
    Did you pay by credit card?

You may find the credit card company more willing to accept liability under a s.75 Consumer Credit Act claim, as they'll just claw the money back from Currys and not lose anything themselves.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I did pay by credit card. I'm assuming they'll only pay out if Currys don't fix it.

OK, I'll need and independent inspection (which is what I thought I was getting from Zanussi). Does anybody know how I find someone to do it?

Has anyone any views as to whether I can get my money back from Zanussi for the "non-inspection" as, when booking, I specifically said I wanted the machine inspected for a claim report? Hopefully I can get the recording of me booking it if Zanussi did one for "Quality Purposes".
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 18th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 3,729 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    unforeseen
    He was booked on the basis of repair. You changed the requirement to inspection for manufacturers fault when he was on site. They have no option for inspection.

He couldn't do that and told you. He fulfilled his side by attending. You moved the goal posts to a position that he couldn't accommodate so the answer I think will be no, you can't have your money back.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 18th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    He was booked on the basis of repair. You changed the requirement to inspection for manufacturers fault when he was on site. They have no option for inspection.

He couldn't do that and told you. He fulfilled his side by attending. You moved the goal posts to a position that he couldn't accommodate so the answer I think will be no, you can't have your money back.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    From the OP

when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell
    Originally posted by NeilDeWheel
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 18th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 6,389 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    sheramber
    Was 60 the cost of the engineer's visit without an inspection?
    • bris
    • By bris 18th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    bris
    You bought a Zanussi machine and you expect Zanussi to give you a report? Do Turkeys vote for Christmas.

For one thing the report has to be from an independent expert, Zanussi are neither independent nor ever going to give you a favourable report.

Even if it was paid on CC they have the same rights as the retailer and will want to see this report. They will not just claw the money back from Curry's either as at this stage they have done nothing wrong.

No favourable report no remedy, no court is going to side with you on this as it's the proof you need.

Curry's may or may not see you in court
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 34,180 Posts
    • 21,593 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I did pay by credit card. I'm assuming they'll only pay out if Currys don't fix it.

OK, I'll need and independent inspection (which is what I thought I was getting from Zanussi). Does anybody know how I find someone to do it?

Has anyone any views as to whether I can get my money back from Zanussi for the "non-inspection" as, when booking, I specifically said I wanted the machine inspected for a claim report? Hopefully I can get the recording of me booking it if Zanussi did one for "Quality Purposes".
    A combination of internet and a phone might get some results.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th May 19, 7:43 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 11,354 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    No, they are jointly and severally liable. You can sue either or both Currys and the credit card company.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 18th May 19, 8:09 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Takmon
    We are careful not to overload it even going as far as to take out half a wash load when using the dryer as per the manual.
    I don't understand why people bother to do this?. I have a washer dryer and I load it to the amount it can dry then put it on a timer and it will wash and dry while I'm at work then it's finished when I get home.

If you load it right up then have to take half out after washing before you dry it sort of defeats the purpose of having a washer dryer because you lose the convience factor and you might aswell have seperate machines.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 18th May 19, 8:11 PM
    • 10,862 Posts
    • 12,322 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    For one thing the report has to be from an independent expert, Zanussi are neither independent nor ever going to give you a favourable report.
    Originally posted by bris
    As far as the OP's consumer rights are concerned, (which is what they are trying to enforce) Zanussi are independent as they don't have any form of contract with the OP.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th May 19, 9:59 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I don't understand why people bother to do this?. I have a washer dryer and I load it to the amount it can dry then put it on a timer and it will wash and dry while I'm at work then it's finished when I get home.

If you load it right up then have to take half out after washing before you dry it sort of defeats the purpose of having a washer dryer because you lose the convience factor and you might aswell have seperate machines.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    It's a good idea not having appliances running when you're not around, especially tumble dryers.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 19th May 19, 12:09 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    Originally posted by bris
    Further to shaun from Africa's earlier correct response to this, there's nothing in law that states it has to be an independent expert who provides a report anyway. This is simply useful for the purposes of proof, either to the retailer or to court.
    • whitegoods_engineer
    • By whitegoods_engineer 19th May 19, 12:31 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    whitegoods_engineer
    Thanks for the swift replies folks.

BoGoF
    Did you pay for the engineer to come out?

I called Zanussi and paid for their Fixed Price Repair. I told them I wanted an inspection to see if it was a manufacturing fault.

The operator told me to tell the engineer what I wanted but when he came the engineer said he can't do an inspection and tell if it's a manufacturing fault. I made it abundantly clear I was ringing for an inspection but thought the idea it being able to be repaired was good too.
    You were paying for a repair, not an independent report. You cannot dictate the terms of the visit.

The engineer's job is to visit, identify the fault and see if a repair is possible within the terms of the fixed-price repair.

He's not YOUR independent engineer, he's ELECTROLUX's engineer. He cannot give you an independent inspection and report.

You need to pay for an independent engineer who is not associated with Electrolux to do a report to try to establish if the fault is inherent.

Bearing failure is not inherent if it has lasted 21/2 years!

It's wear and tear. No inspection by an appliance engineer is going to establish that failed bearings are inherent.

The only way you will get this is if you manage to obtain data on the failure rate of bearings on this appliance and guess what - only Electrolux will have collated this data and it isn't available to the public, nor to any independent engineer.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 19th May 19, 8:37 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    You were paying for a repair, not an independent report. You cannot dictate the terms of the visit.

The engineer's job is to visit, identify the fault and see if a repair is possible within the terms of the fixed-price repair.

He's not YOUR independent engineer, he's ELECTROLUX's engineer. He cannot give you an independent inspection and report.

You need to pay for an independent engineer who is not associated with Electrolux to do a report to try to establish if the fault is inherent.

Bearing failure is not inherent if it has lasted 21/2 years!

It's wear and tear. No inspection by an appliance engineer is going to establish that failed bearings are inherent.

The only way you will get this is if you manage to obtain data on the failure rate of bearings on this appliance and guess what - only Electrolux will have collated this data and it isn't available to the public, nor to any independent engineer.
    Originally posted by whitegoods_engineer
    This is absolutely incorrect.

First of all, as per the messages above, the engineer was entirely able to produce the required inspection. You've just heard the phrase 'independent examiner' on here so often you think it's enshrined in law.

Secondly, wear and tear is completely within the scope of the consumer rights act. For a start, there's no mention of that being an exclusion within the act. There is, however, mention that 'goods must be of satisfactory quality', and one stated aspect of this is 'durability'.

Under the terms of the CRA, it doesn't matter whether a product failed suddenly or wore out gradually; the only thing that matters is whether it is of satisfactory quality. Note that the CRA also doesn't mention inherent - but an inherent fault certainly can be simply poor quality components when purchased.

Within 6 months it is assumed that the goods were not of satisfactory quality, unless the retailer demonstrates they were, eg a fault is caused by misuse. After 6 months it is assumed the goods were of satisfactory quality unless the consumer demonstrates they were not, for example by a report explaining what was unsatisfactory at the point of sale.

It has nothing to do with failure rates of bearings across a model or range of appliances, the only relevant issue is whether the bearings on the purchased model were of satisfactory quality.

The OP could obtain a report stating that the machine has failed because of the bearings, there is no evidence of misuse to the machine, and as the bearings are a sealed unit the OP cannot have done anything directly to them. This would almost certainly be sufficient for a court. Or course, the retailer could try to claim that their products are only expected to last 2 years, but it's not a great defence for a business to take.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,725Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter