Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NeilDeWheel
    • By NeilDeWheel 17th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NeilDeWheel
    2 year old washing machine beyond economical repair.
    • 17th May 19, 10:57 AM
    2 year old washing machine beyond economical repair. 17th May 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hi All,

I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of 489. The bearings have now gone and after calling out Zanussi (Electrolux) the have deemed it beyond economical repair as the drum needs replacing.

I find this disgusting that such an expensive item should be scrap after only 2 years. Have i any recourse against Curries under the Consumer Rights Act as I feel a, nearly, 500 machine shouldn't be scrap after such a short time?

Also, when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell and didn't even attempt to open the machine to check. Would I be due a refund from Zanussi as I didn't get the inspection I asked for?

Thanks in advance,
    NDW.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 34,911 Posts
    • 40,976 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 17th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:59 AM
    If it's a sealed drum and bearing assembly then there is nothing to check
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    Did you pay for the engineer to come out? If this was just a call out fee then no refund due.

Bearings are a wear and tear item and go go through constant use and/or overloading the machine.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th May 19, 11:17 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 5,030 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 17th May 19, 11:17 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:17 AM
    You haven't given enough information to determine if it's a premature failure or not. 2.5 years might be a perfectly reasonable lifespan if the machine's had heavy use over that time, or it might be unreasonable for a machine used just once or twice a week.

As BoGoF says, it may be wear and tear. How often did you use it and were you careful to stick to the loading requirements? There's nothing stopping you from getting an independent inspection of the bearings and if that suggests there was an inherent fault you have something to go back to Currys with. After 2.5 years they have the choice to replace, repair or offer a refund, deducting an amount to reflect your use over the last 2.5 years.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 12,332 Posts
    • 5,556 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:02 PM
    OP bear in mind circa 60 inspection fee ( Currys may accept enginneers report or not ).

Whats a 2/ 3 year old washing machine worth on a refund basis 150 ??200 .
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 17th May 19, 12:10 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 17th May 19, 12:10 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:10 PM
    Are you only asking about a refund for the "non-inspection" or are you also asking about a remedy from Currys? Your post isn't clear.

What have Currys offered so far?
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 17th May 19, 12:41 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    • 17th May 19, 12:41 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:41 PM
    Hi All,

I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of 489. The bearings have now gone and after calling out Zanussi (Electrolux) the have deemed it beyond economical repair as the drum needs replacing.

I find this disgusting that such an expensive item should be scrap after only 2 years. Have i any recourse against Curries under the Consumer Rights Act as I feel a, nearly, 500 machine shouldn't be scrap after such a short time?

Also, when I booked the Zanussi engineer to come out I specifically stated I wanted the machine inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The operator told me to tell that to the engineer but the engineer said he wouldn't be able to tell and didn't even attempt to open the machine to check. Would I be due a refund from Zanussi as I didn't get the inspection I asked for?

Thanks in advance,
    NDW.
    Originally posted by NeilDeWheel
    I would not mess around further and would simply send a letter before action to Currys followed by a Small claims summons

What sort of repair did you book from Zanussi?

Their Fixed price repair on the website promises
    One agreed, fixed fee for the repair - no surprises
    Our approved engineers offer a fast, professional service - ready to fix your appliance quickly and get your home running smoothly again in one visit
    Well paying for an engineer to not fix is a surprise
    The Repair and care promises
    If we cant fix your initial fault, well refund any monies paid up until that point
    I would be charging this back if you paid on credit or debit card or small claims court if not
    There is no way on earth I would be tolerating this type of nonsense
    My prediction is that issue of a small claims summons will get you settled without you having to go anywhere near a court

JumbleBumble
    Last edited by Jumblebumble; 17-05-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 18,683 Posts
    • 11,511 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    When i read the title i thought to myself "i bet its not a washing machine, its a washer dryer". Lo and behold...

They are unreliable pigs of things. We had a hotpoint one and it basically burnt out every year - 18 months needing either a drum, set of weights, ECU board, or on one occasion the whole lot.

Fortunately we had insurance on it, but we eventually gave up and sold it.
    Last edited by motorguy; 17-05-2019 at 1:37 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:56 PM
    I would not mess around further and would simply send a letter before action to Currys followed by a Small claims summons
    JumbleBumble
    Originally posted by Jumblebumble
    Nonsence 'advice'
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 17th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Nonsence 'advice'
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    Why so?

The retailer is required to provide a remedy, with a sealed part in a 500 washing machine failing after just 2 and half years and the manufacturers report to confirm, that's what I'd be doing.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one.

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their 500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years.

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 1:36 PM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Why so?

The retailer is required to provide a remedy, with a sealed part in a 500 washing machine failing after just 2 and half years and the manufacturers report to confirm, that's what I'd be doing.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one.

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their 500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years.

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    So on what basis are Cuurys obliged to provide a remedy?

They may do but onis is on OP to prove inherent fault which they have noy done as yet.

As has been said several things can cause bearings to fail, excessive use, excessive loading.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th May 19, 1:59 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Why so?

can you please link to the law that says this? What has a sealed unit got to do with it? It could still have failed due to misuse or overuse and at 2 1/2 years old it's down to OP to prove what has caused it.

Sure the OP can contact Currys but they are known for being rubbish, just kill 2 birds and do the complaint and letter before action in one. again letter before action on what basis?

Claim for the cost of the report/call out and the value of the machine minus it's use against it's expect lifespan. OP doesn't actually have a report stating the cause of the fault sostill needs to get this done, all they have is an engineer saying what they think is wrong but it hasn't even been opened up and inspected.

I'm pretty such the manufacturer wouldn't be telling the public their 500 machines are designed to last just 2 and half years. of course they wouldn't, however combined washer dryers are more prone to failure and have a shorter lifespan than separate machines. I've never actually heard of anyone following matufacturers instructions on these machines about loads, nobody actually takes out some of the load between washing and drying which is usually recommended, not doing so will shorten the lifespan

The other poster is also correct that Currys will likely resolve without going to court and sending the letter saves dealing with the waffle Currys customer service will spout in an attempt to fob off the OP.not until OP proves that it is a manufacturing/inherent fault they won't and without that proof a judge would not side with OP either.
    This just shows how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Everything you posted is inaccurate as was everything JumbleBumble said without any actual proof of the fault and cause.
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 17th May 19, 2:01 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    If the OP has 15 kids or runs a launderette and has been washing bricks then fair enough.

Assuming they are a normal household doing what normal people do with their washing machine they entitled to a remedy.

You are correct that the burden of proof is placed upon them but as it's very unlikely Currys will go to the trouble and expense of sending someone to the OPs local court house to defend a claim for a few hundred pounds sending the letter is the path of least resistance to gaining a resolve.

Should Curry decline the claim without proof them the OP needs to commission an independent report to confirm an inherent fault, the cost of which can be added to the claim.
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 17th May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    This just shows how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Everything you posted is inaccurate as was everything JumbleBumble said without any actual proof of the fault and cause.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Yes, yes the act requires proof, see above.

The point about the sealed unit is this isn't a consumerable part, you are expect to replace the brakes on your car or the light in your fridge, the bearings in a machine drum which is uneconomical to replace isn't something that should be the purchasers responsibility to maintain or replace.
    • NeilDeWheel
    • By NeilDeWheel 17th May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeilDeWheel
    Thanks for the swift replies folks.

BoGoF
    “Did you pay for the engineer to come out?”

I called Zanussi and paid for their Fixed Price Repair. I told them I wanted an inspection to see if it was a manufacturing fault. They did tell me they could do repairs up to the value of 250 or they'll put the callout charge towards the cost of a new one iif they can't repair it. The operator told me to tell the engineer what I wanted but when he came the engineer said he can't do an inspection and tell if it's a manufacturing fault. I made it abundantly clear I was ringing for an inspection but thought the idea it being able to be repaired was good too.

“So on what basis are Cuurys obliged to provide a remedy?”
    Does an item have to be of reasonable quality? I would say it’s not if it fails after such a short time.

Aylesbury,
    “2.5 years might be a perfectly reasonable lifespan if the machine's had heavy use over that time, or it might be unreasonable for a machine used just once or twice a week.”

Indeed, there are only two of us in the household and the machine gets used once or twice a week, sometimes every other week. We are careful not to overload it even going as far as to take out half a wash load when using the dryer as per the manual.

Manxman,
    I am asking for a remedy from Currys and a refund of the non-inspection. I have not contacted Currys so far.
    • NeilDeWheel
    • By NeilDeWheel 17th May 19, 2:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeilDeWheel
    Oops, sorry, I did contact Currys. I was told to get an inspection that's why I booked Zanussi.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 17th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    Caz3121
    The issue is that you need an independent inspection to prove inherent fault so not from Zanussi. (That would be them marking their own homework)
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 17th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    If the OP has 15 kids or runs a launderette and has been washing bricks then fair enough.

Assuming they are a normal household doing what normal people do with their washing machine they entitled to a remedy.

You are correct that the burden of proof is placed upon them but as it's very unlikely Currys will go to the trouble and expense of sending someone to the OPs local court house to defend a claim for a few hundred pounds sending the letter is the path of least resistance to gaining a resolve.

Should Curry decline the claim without proof them the OP needs to commission an independent report to confirm an inherent fault, the cost of which can be added to the claim

Isn't this putting the cart before the horse and begging the question? Surely you'd want an independent report before initiating a claim? And you are assuming a "post-claim" independent report would support the claim.
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 17th May 19, 3:04 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    And you are assuming a "post-claim" independent report would support the claim.
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I'm saying send the letter, if that doesn't work get the report and go back to them.

I didn't advise OP to start small claims proceedings, simply to send Currys a letter stating they intend to.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 9,454 Posts
    • 11,359 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I bought a Zanussi washer/dryer from Curries Online at the end of Oct. 2016 at a cost of 489.
    Originally posted by NeilDeWheel
    Did you pay by credit card?

You may find the credit card company more willing to accept liability under a s.75 Consumer Credit Act claim, as they'll just claw the money back from Currys and not lose anything themselves.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,290Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter