Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dutch81
    • By Dutch81 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dutch81
    Letter before claim
    • 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    Letter before claim 17th May 19 at 9:46 AM
    Dear All,

This is a new thread, I have not posted on here before. Some details regarding the situation:

I received a PCN in November 2015. This was issued by a private parking company as the car was parked in a residential car park without a permit. I did in fact reside in a property at the time with rights to use of the car park, however I was awaiting a car parking permit from the Landlords, who advised I could use my 'Visitors Clock' whilst I awaited this. However, this needs to be updated every four hours, and not possible during the night - hence the ticket.

I contested the charge with the private parking company, explaining the above, I also noticed the PCN contained incorrect details, the contravention code was wrong stating I had 'Parked after the expiry of time in a pay and display car park' - there were no pay and display machines within the area at the time (and I'm fairly sure there still isn't), the car park was for resident permit holders.

After various emails / letters, the company would not budge, so I appealed via IAS - this was dismissed. I did not hear anything back from the parking company after this.

Since then, I have moved property and a few years have passed. I was then made aware a few days a go that a 'Letter Before Claim' had been received for my attention - this was sent to an incorrect address but luckily handed to me.

I immediately sent a 'Subject Access Request' (SAR) notifying the company of my new address and also requesting all the relevant info as advised in the Newbies Thread.

...and this is where I currently am, awaiting a response.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 19, 11:41 AM
    • 72,324 Posts
    • 84,631 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th May 19, 11:41 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:41 AM
    Which company, and did they file the claim themselves, or if not, which solicitor?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Dutch81
    • By Dutch81 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dutch81
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 PM
    Hi, company was VCS, no mention of any solicitors in their letter.
    Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 72,324 Posts
    • 84,631 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:23 PM
    I contested the charge with the private parking company, explaining the above,
    I guess you admitted to driving, then.

You need to prepare for a claim form that will soon follow, and spend this time reading any residential defence threads, and any VCS defence threads on here. Loads of them!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

5,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin