Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stu2500
    • By stu2500 17th May 19, 9:22 AM
    • 138Posts
    • 19Thanks
    stu2500
    Remortgage - Overpay or Reduce Term
    • 17th May 19, 9:22 AM
    Remortgage - Overpay or Reduce Term 17th May 19 at 9:22 AM
    Apologies if this has been covered before but, I'm coming up for remortgage soon on my Natwest mortgage and I am keen to pay it off as quickly as possible. We originally took the mortgage out for 25 years and pay 591 per month. Looking at rates available (I understand these aren't guaranteed but hypothetically), we could remortgage at a 20 year term and the payment would be circa 540 per month (we would over pay the extra 60 available to us as well).

Is it best to reduce the term further or just overpay the extra monies we have? Or, does it make little difference?
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 9,601 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    In terms of cost it makes little difference providing you dont exceed any over payment limits.

The general rule is make the monthly mortgage payments as cheap as possible so if circumstances change youre not comitted to the higher payments.

For me personally i went down the reduced years option because im not the kind of person to arrange and ensure over payments are made each month and i would inevitably find something to spend the money on instead.

Depends on how you manage your finances really, if youre organised and have control go for the overpayments, if youre forgetful and can be led by gluttony tie yourself to the higher costs (try and account for as many changes in your circumstances as imaginable)
    Don't be angry!
    • stu2500
    • By stu2500 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stu2500
    • 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    In terms of cost it makes little difference providing you dont exceed any over payment limits.

The general rule is make the monthly mortgage payments as cheap as possible so if circumstances change youre not comitted to the higher payments.

For me personally i went down the reduced years option because im not the kind of person to arrange and ensure over payments are made each month and i would inevitably find something to spend the money on instead.

Depends on how you manage your finances really, if youre organised and have control go for the overpayments, if youre forgetful and can be led by gluttony tie yourself to the higher costs (try and account for as many changes in your circumstances as imaginable)
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Thanks for that. I think I'd prefer the reduced years as i then have no option to not overpay, or I then can't forget to overpay. We have rainy day savings and such, therefore I'm not concerned about not being able to afford monthly payment etc.

Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter