Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 17th May 19, 9:19 AM
    • 98Posts
    • 13Thanks
    paulr70
    Invoice payment request just arrived after 18 months!
    • 17th May 19, 9:19 AM
    Invoice payment request just arrived after 18 months! 17th May 19 at 9:19 AM
    Hey all,

We`ve had almost 2 years of house renovations going on and i`ve just had an invoice from 2017 for 1700 requesting from a heating engineer. I cant find any info as to whether it was paid originally. Just wonder where I stand on this. I had money going out to lots of tradesmen in cash or bank transfers over the last few years. Last I can see is an email from myself requesting an invoice to settle work in cash.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Page 1
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    Hey all,

We`ve had almost 2 years of house renovations going on and i`ve just had an invoice from 2017 for 1700 requesting from a heating engineer. I cant find any info as to whether it was paid originally. Just wonder where I stand on this. I had money going out to lots of tradesmen in cash or bank transfers over the last few years. Last I can see is an email from myself requesting an invoice to settle work in cash.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Originally posted by paulr70
    If you haven't paid, then you need to pay. if the last correspondence you have between you is asking for an invoice, then it seems unlikely that you have paid.

He has up to 6 years to claim the money from you.
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Matty36
    • 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    Can't you check bank & credit card statements? Think you can check back up to 6 years.

If the payment is not on their and you can't remember if you paid by cash and have no confirmation of it being paid then its likely you still owe the amount requested and you will have to pay it.

I recommend paying everything via bank transfer/credit/debit card in future so you have proof of payments
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 17th May 19, 9:53 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    paulr70
    • 17th May 19, 9:53 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:53 AM
    ok thanks, yeah i guess its something I shouldve kept an record of. It was right at the start of all the works. Just annoying to have something turn up after all this time.
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 17th May 19, 11:35 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 17th May 19, 11:35 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:35 AM
    Look on the bright side though, if you didn't pay it back then, and you orinigally budgeted for it, you will still have the money sitting there waiting to be released.

So makes no difference whether it is paid now or then, you are in no worse a position.......
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 6,856 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    Look on the bright side though, if you didn't pay it back then, and you orinigally budgeted for it, you will still have the money sitting there waiting to be released.

So makes no difference whether it is paid now or then, you are in no worse a position.......
    Originally posted by marcarm
    Gotta love your optimism.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 17th May 19, 11:56 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 17th May 19, 11:56 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:56 AM
    ok thanks, yeah i guess its something I shouldve kept an record of. It was right at the start of all the works. Just annoying to have something turn up after all this time.

You might have paid out 1500 in cash (or bank transfer) and you did not keep a record of it? No receipt?

Many years ago we had some electrical work done and ten months later I knew we hadn't paid for it. I chased him up for an invoice.
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 17th May 19, 12:58 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    paulr70
    • 17th May 19, 12:58 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:58 PM
    Well when you have just spent 180 grand on having a whole house redone with two sets of builders, plumbers, electricians, roofers, tilers, plasters, architects,etc all being paid in either cash or bank transfers its not easy keeping tabs.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th May 19, 2:03 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 17th May 19, 2:03 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:03 PM
    Well when you have just spent 180 grand on having a whole house redone with two sets of builders, plumbers, electricians, roofers, tilers, plasters, architects,etc all being paid in either cash or bank transfers its not easy keeping tabs.
    Of course it is, would you accept your employer not paying you because it's not easy keeping tabs on all of their employees and other overheads? Of course not.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 19, 2:06 PM
    • 6,856 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    DoaM
    Excel (other spreadsheet utilities are available)

Very simple to create a file and keep track of contracts / invoices / payments
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 17th May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    marcarm
    Gotta love your optimism.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    My tongue was firmly placed right in the centre of my cheek when posting that
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 17th May 19, 2:56 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

How do you know it was 180k? You don't keep records.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th May 19, 7:05 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 7,069 Thanks
    societys child
    How do you know it was 180k? You don't keep records.
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    How could they, when it's too difficult

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,752Posts Today

6,929Users online

Martin's Twitter