Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rs232
    • By rs232 17th May 19, 9:03 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    rs232
    Do I actually need to fill in a tax return?
    • 17th May 19, 9:03 AM
    Do I actually need to fill in a tax return? 17th May 19 at 9:03 AM
    I have just found a job within the EU so moving there at the end of the month for an extensive period. I will keep my house in the UK together with my financial stuff including investments.

My first instinct was to find an accountant to fill in my tax return yearly while I'm away... but then I thought to myself, do I really need to fill in a tax return?

- I will have no "real income" to be taxed in the UK (it will be taxed at source in the EU country I'm going)
    - I will have some return from investments but either within ISAs, pre-taxed at surce and everything else is expected to be way below the 10K/year
    - I will have some income from renting out rooms in my house but unlikely to be above the 7500 tax free cap.
    - I'm a director of a dormant LTD so no income there either

Can I just "not fill in a tax return" this year or do I have to do so regardless? Or else?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    You will need to contact HMRC and tell them you no longer need to do one or they will keep sending you a notice to file each year. If they send you a notice to file a return and do not do it you will get fined.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:07 AM
    The 7500 'tax free cap' will not apply to you.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 9,336 Posts
    • 31,211 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 17th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:09 AM
    +1 for talk to HMRC.
    A phone call (or a letter) now could save you a lot of trips & emails and general nervous wear & tear later!

Very best of luck with job & tenants.
    • rs232
    • By rs232 17th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rs232
    • 17th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:18 AM
    The 7500 'tax free cap' will not apply to you.
    Originally posted by BoGoF

Why would this not apply to me?

Thanks
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:27 AM
    You will be a non resident landlord - you can't use the rent a room scheme.
    • rs232
    • By rs232 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rs232
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:33 AM
    You will be a non resident landlord - you can't use the rent a room scheme.
    Originally posted by BoGoF

I guess I would still be registered as domiciled in the UK... but if not that's a very interesting point as I suppose there are many "renting regulations" I would have to comply with right? Hum....

Also if I am to be a a non resident landlord then the 7500 is pure income I suppose and perhaps that makes the tax return relevant again?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 9:39 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 9:39 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:39 AM
    I guess I would still be registered as domiciled in the UK... but if not that's a very interesting point as I suppose there are many "renting regulations" I would have to comply with right? Hum....

Also if I am to be a a non resident landlord then the 7500 is pure income I suppose and perhaps that makes the tax return relevant again?
    Originally posted by rs232
    Domicile and residence are totally different things but yes, plenty red tape for you renting regulation wise.

You will need to register as a non resident landlord with HMRC who may want a Tax Return completed. If you don't register then any letting agent (or tenant) would be required to withold tax.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 17th May 19, 3:44 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 17th May 19, 3:44 PM
    • 17th May 19, 3:44 PM
    You will also need to file a tax return in your country of employment and report UK rental income and income in your ISA. As no-one knows about Brexit you might end up paying NIC in two countries. Is your employer paying for advice or tax protecting you?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 17th May 19, 5:08 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    sheramber
    have you checked out the requirements for being a landlord?

Have a read of this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 17th May 19, 7:18 PM
    • 8,036 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    00ec25
    - I will have some income from renting out rooms in my house but unlikely to be above the 7500 tax free cap.
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by rs232
    in what way, shape, or form will your living abroad entitle you to claim the LODGER rent a room allowance for someone living in your only/main home where you spend most of your time - ie NOT your property in the UK!

if you are that misinformed you should use an accountant

read up on the Non resident Landlord scheme as that is what will apply to you

EDIT

I see the above flaw has already been spotted by others...
    Last edited by 00ec25; 17-05-2019 at 7:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin