Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Susurrus
    • By Susurrus 17th May 19, 8:54 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Susurrus
    Xbox One X no repair option
    • 17th May 19, 8:54 AM
    Xbox One X no repair option 17th May 19 at 8:54 AM
    I have an Xbox One X Scorpio edition that is 4 months out of warranty. In the last couple of weeks it has started shutting itself down, and when restarted has stated that it has done so because it was overheating.

I looked online for possible fixes and found a few others who had the same issue, and this was because the thermal paste hadn't been applied correctly during the manufacturing process - these were all Scorpio editions.

I contacted Microsoft & was quoted 203 for them to replace it with a refurbished model, which may not be a Scorpio edition. As the console cost 450, I am not happy being asked to spend nearly half as much again on a refurbished one, when I really want to get my one fixed.

If the problem is, as I suspect, the thermal paste issue, then this would be a manufacturing fault and as such I don't think I should be paying, or certainly not that much. As they are only planning on providing me with a refurbished model and not repairing mine, I think I could be paying out for something that should be free. Replacing the thermal paste takes about an hour and the paste itself is less than 5.
    I would like to know what my rights are as I will be calling their customer service department later today.
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 9,606 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:05 AM
    The current situation for you is that youre more than likely going to have to prove that the fault is inherent. Youll need to get an independent report which will more than likely cost you money.

Personally, id just try and solve it myself by reapplying thermal paste. I get you shouldnt have to but its probably going to be a lot easier than convincing microsoft not to contest what youre saying, then getting an indepndent report which youll have to pay for with the slight chance that the person looking at it determines its not an inherent fault.

Id keep trying to appeal to their better nature and encourage good customer service, highlighting disappointment in the quality of their products etc. But if theyre fighting back its probably not worth your effort if ou can just sort the problem yourself.
    Don't be angry!
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 17th May 19, 9:21 AM
    • 4,393 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 17th May 19, 9:21 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:21 AM
    As above, the onus is on you to show it was an inherent fault by way of a report from someone qualified to do so.
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Matty36
    • 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    While I can understand your annoyance, at the end of the day, its out of warranty. All you can do, as mentioned above, is appeal to their better nature and kept all complants and correspondence polite, but firm hoping they reduce the cost of repair/replacement.

Or try fixing it yourself for a fiver like you mentioned. While not ideal, you can always follow video guides on Youtube to try it yourself anyway. You're out of warranty and have nothing to lose.

Had a similar problem many years ago with the fat PS3. I followed guides on Youtube and it lasted for another 2 years until it conked out again. Then just bought a PS4
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 17th May 19, 11:32 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 17th May 19, 11:32 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:32 AM
    Who did you buy from and have you contacted them?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 18,685 Posts
    • 11,512 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 17th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:15 PM
    Lots of independent repairers of these about at a fraction of that cost, surely?
    Last edited by motorguy; 17-05-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Simonr66
    • 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    Go back to the retailer as you may have a claim to get repaired or replaced under the consumer Rights Act.

Six months or more

If a defect develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time the goods were delivered to you.
    In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems or defects across the product range.
    The retailer can also make a deduction from any refund for fair use after the first six months of ownership if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.
    You have up to six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.
    This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

If as you say the fault is a common one and there is documented proof its worth a go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin