Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 16th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 7Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    landlord visit
    • 16th May 19, 9:44 PM
    landlord visit 16th May 19 at 9:44 PM
    My landlord said they want us out for the mum to move in which is fine, but now they want to come and do all the jobs that have needed doing for the last 4 years and not sure why now.

So i told them they can do them when we move out or take us to court to get access.

Any way now they want to come to see the repairs which i said is fine. but just wondering if i let them both in can they do anything like say that i give them access and now i have to let them do the repairs ?
Page 2
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 2:15 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    Then if there was no check in inventory the LL will find it extremely difficult to make any claim om your deposit simply because he cant prove what it was like when you moved in.

When you move out request your deposit back in full and if this is not received,raise a claim with the deposit service used to hold your deposit.

Just to cover yourself prior to leaving I might suggest that you take some photos of the condition to supply as part of your claim if the deposit isn't automatically returned.

The deposit services will adjudicate if necessary in the event of a challenge although without a check in document the LL will struggle to retain your deposit whatever they are saying now....
    Last edited by need an answer; 17-05-2019 at 2:19 PM.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    Then if there was no check in inventory the LL will find it extremely difficult to make any claim om your deposit simply because he cant prove what it was like when you moved in.

When you move out request your deposit back in full and if this is not received,raise a claim with the deposit service used to hold your deposit.

Just to cover yourself prior to leaving I might suggest that you take some photos of the condition to supply as part of your claim if the deposit isn't automatically returned.

The deposit services will adjudicate if necessary in the event of a challenge although without a check in document the LL will struggle to retain your deposit whatever they are saying now....
    Originally posted by need an answer

Yes i will take pictures, i also have emails from last month when they wanted to do the jobs and i said no point now you want us out and they replied saying if you change your mind let us know, then a month later start asking again about doing them.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 17th May 19, 2:51 PM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 4,612 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Where is the harassment? If he changes the locks why would the scheduled people not turn up - nor the landlord nor the inspectors know that they are unwanted.

What illegal eviction? It is OP being paranoid.

Basically, the advice given was total rubbish - what OP needs to do is speak to the landlord and resolve this. Not dig his head in the sand and call the police. I can assure you the police will not be impressed.

This whole issue is down to the OP thinking he will be illegally evicted, with nothing to even suggest such an event would occur.
    Originally posted by letitbe90
    Better to think the worst and know what to do if it happens
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    When are you actually leaving have you confirmed a date?

I would be tempted to confirm a date and then politely ask the LL to leave you in peace until that time to allow you to pack up your possessions and move.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    When are you actually leaving have you confirmed a date?

I would be tempted to confirm a date and then politely ask the LL to leave you in peace until that time to allow you to pack up your possessions and move.
    They said we have 3 months to move and if we have we can have the deposit back. But if they have to serv 2 months notice then we wont get it back. So have about 3 months left total.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 17th May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 4,612 Thanks
    Marvel1
    OP...What work is it that the LL actually wants to do?

I understand that you say its been building up for over 4 years but surely if you allow some of the work to be done,depending what it is ,it could improve your quality of life whilst you still remain in the property.

I understand that predominantly the work is to prepare for someone else moving in after you leave but if for example its to repair something that has really caused you inconvenience then I don't see why you shouldn't allow entry for that to happen.

For eg if you were living with a broken boiler and needing to heat water another way then having a new one fitted even for a short time would be less inconvenient for you than to continue as you were.

Ultimately the choice is yours but it does seem as if you want to cause issue with the LL whilst you still can.

I in no way defend anyone who takes 4 years to fix problems but there are 2 sides to every story.....
    If OP has lived it for 4 years, I'm sure they can cope for a few weeks, it benefits the landlord more than the tenant.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 7,931 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Comms69
    They said we have 3 months to move and if we have we can have the deposit back. But if they have to serv 2 months notice then we wont get it back. So have about 3 months left total.
    Originally posted by helpneeded2014
    hahaha ye that's not how deposit work...
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 3:01 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    If OP has lived it for 4 years, I'm sure they can cope for a few weeks, it benefits the landlord more than the tenant.
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    I understand that and to a point I agree ….however its about diffusing a situation that the LL and tenant are now in.

Nobody needs or probably particularly wants confrontation and police intervention.Lack of correct communication between the 2 parties shouldn't need to result in disturbances between the tenant and LL.Neither the tenant or the LL are really being very proactive so they probably both need to take a little time to understand what the other wants...setting a date to leave would be a good starting point.

4 posts into this thread it was being suggested that the LL was harassing the tenant wanting access to do repairs.indeed even the OP's original first post suggests that they will see the LL in court if necessary...however we are now 2 pages in and it transpires that neither the tenant or LL have actually agreed a firm date for the move.

I'm not surprised the LL wants access, perhaps they need to sort out that simple detail of when the tenant will leave and hopefully everything will click into place.

I assume that the OP actually wants to get on find a new place move out and get their deposit back...however if you feel ive got the wrong end of the stick then fair enough

I suppose the next question is OP do you actually have somewhere to move to or are you needing to be evicted in order to facilitate your onward move?
    Last edited by need an answer; 17-05-2019 at 3:40 PM.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    so you don't have a firm date set...that's part of the problem and until you agree a definite date I'm not surprised that the situation is escalating out of control.

As I see it neither the tenant or the LL have formally agreed anything,yep the LL wants his property back and to start renovating it....the tenant meanwhile is trying to live there and juggle trying to move too...no wonder they are going round in circles and things are getting fraught.

Agree a date move out,claim deposit back,dispute if necessary.

Job done
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • By 45002 17th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 462 Thanks

You have longer than 2 or 3 months to move out, you don't have to move out until a court order you or in the end the bailiffs turn up..

https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants

Good Luck....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin