Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 16th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 7Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    landlord visit
    • 16th May 19, 9:44 PM
    landlord visit 16th May 19 at 9:44 PM
    My landlord said they want us out for the mum to move in which is fine, but now they want to come and do all the jobs that have needed doing for the last 4 years and not sure why now.

So i told them they can do them when we move out or take us to court to get access.

Any way now they want to come to see the repairs which i said is fine. but just wondering if i let them both in can they do anything like say that i give them access and now i have to let them do the repairs ?
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 16th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 3,591 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 16th May 19, 10:00 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:00 PM
    No, you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property as per your TA
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 12:46 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 AM
    • 17th May 19, 12:46 AM
    No, you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property as per your TA
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    So i don't have to let them come and do the work ? i thought we did and if not they can take up to court. which i don't mind got nothing to lose any way.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 17th May 19, 6:06 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 17th May 19, 6:06 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:06 AM
    Have you had a S21? Deposit protected?

Anyway change the lock barrel and if they turn up call the police.
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    letitbe90
    • 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    For the love of god, please donít waste police time on what really is a civil matter...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 7,894 Posts
    • 8,754 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 17th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:13 AM
    For the love of god, please donít waste police time on what really is a civil matter...
    Originally posted by letitbe90

Harassment is a criminal matter

illegal eviction - which is what they are implying - also a criminal matter.

Where's the civil matter here?
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th May 19, 8:17 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 3,591 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 17th May 19, 8:17 AM

Originally posted by m0bov
    Changing the lock may well be a breach of the tenancy, it would just cost you money from your deposit to have it changed again. It also could be a mortice lock, not so easy. Calling the police - good luck with that, its a civil matter.

If landlord gives 24hrs notice of an inspection and they can't get in they can force entry. If the police did attend - which is at best a 50/50 - the only arrests made would be to prevent a breach of the peace or something similar.

Just stick to politely declining the repairs as you wish to abide by the tenancy agreement and quietly enjoy your use of the property you are paying for.

If a tenant on notice changed the locks to keep me out a coupe of possibilities, I might smell gas and force entry, I might notice damage to the front door and enter as the premises have obviously been broken into and left insecure, who knows.

Your quiet enjoyment also includes being left alone by the landlord, if they are pestering you tell them in writing to stop and just say no further communication will be made regarding work done as you are leaving on xxx date and it can be done any time after that. You could point out that the house is obviously perfectly acceptable in its current state as none of these jobs were considered necessary for you to live there and pay full rent.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th May 19, 8:17 AM
    • 38,989 Posts
    • 162,518 Thanks
    silvercar
    Asking to do an inspection is not harassment!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 8:20 AM
    • 7,894 Posts
    • 8,754 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 17th May 19, 8:20 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:20 AM
    Changing the lock may well be a breach of the tenancy, it would just cost you money from your deposit to have it changed again. - uhm... not really. two issues: 1: a lock of similar quality, no loss suffered. AND simply replace the old lock when you leave, It also could be a mortice lock, not so easy. Calling the police - good luck with that, its a civil matter. - not if it's harassment or illegal eviction.

If landlord gives 24hrs notice of an inspection and they can't get in they can force entry. - NO they cannot. If the police did attend - which is at best a 50/50 - the only arrests made would be to prevent a breach of the peace or something similar. - incorrect.

Just stick to politely declining the repairs as you wish to abide by the tenancy agreement and quietly enjoy your use of the property you are paying for.

If a tenant on notice changed the locks to keep me out a coupe of possibilities, I might smell gas and force entry - no, I might notice damage to the front door and enter as the premises have obviously been broken into and left insecure, who knows. - no.

Your quiet enjoyment also includes being left alone by the landlord, if they are pestering you tell them in writing to stop and just say no further communication will be made regarding work done as you are leaving on xxx date and it can be done any time after that. You could point out that the house is obviously perfectly acceptable in its current state as none of these jobs were considered necessary for you to live there and pay full rent.

Please don't tell me you are actually a landlord...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 7,894 Posts
    • 8,754 Thanks
    Comms69
    Asking to do an inspection is not harassment!
    Originally posted by silvercar

I think the implication was that the locks have been changed, the landlord has turned up and kicked off....

"Anyway change the lock barrel and if they turn up call the police. "
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 9:49 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014

Originally posted by m0bov
    No section 21 yet and last time i checked the deposit was protected but they did they will keep that because i signed saying they could for new carpets because i have a dog, but that was over 4 years ago and been told it's wear and tear now plus there is no damage to them.
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 9:54 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    Changing the lock may well be a breach of the tenancy, it would just cost you money from your deposit to have it changed again. It also could be a mortice lock, not so easy. Calling the police - good luck with that, its a civil matter.

If landlord gives 24hrs notice of an inspection and they can't get in they can force entry. If the police did attend - which is at best a 50/50 - the only arrests made would be to prevent a breach of the peace or something similar.

If a tenant on notice changed the locks to keep me out a coupe of possibilities, I might smell gas and force entry, I might notice damage to the front door and enter as the premises have obviously been broken into and left insecure, who knows.

I did tell them they could do the repairs when i lieft a while back but then they come again asking if they could do them, but these repairs have been needing done for over 4 years so i can't see what the rush is now.
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 17th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    letitbe90

illegal eviction - which is what they are implying - also a criminal matter.

Where's the civil matter here?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Where is the harassment? If he changes the locks why would the scheduled people not turn up - nor the landlord nor the inspectors know that they are unwanted.

What illegal eviction? It is OP being paranoid.

Basically, the advice given was total rubbish - what OP needs to do is speak to the landlord and resolve this. Not dig his head in the sand and call the police. I can assure you the police will not be impressed.

This whole issue is down to the OP thinking he will be illegally evicted, with nothing to even suggest such an event would occur.
    Last edited by letitbe90; 17-05-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 12:47 PM
    • 7,894 Posts
    • 8,754 Thanks
    Comms69
    Where is the harassment? If he changes the locks why would the scheduled people not turn up - nor the landlord nor the inspectors know that they are unwanted. - Well I would assume the OP would refuse the requests

What illegal eviction? It is OP being paranoid. - I did say potentially. If the LL was to act in a way which in effect forced the OP to leave. e.g. having major works done

Basically, the advice given was total rubbish - what OP needs to do is speak to the landlord and resolve this. Not dig his head in the sand and call the police. I can assure you the police will not be impressed. - If someone is kicking off outside your home, the correct advice is to always ring the police.

This whole issue is down to the OP thinking he will be illegally evicted, with nothing to even suggest such an event would occur.

I disagree. I think that's exactly the plan. To create as much discomfort as possible
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 17th May 19, 12:57 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    letitbe90
    I disagree. I think that's exactly the plan. To create as much discomfort as possible
    Originally posted by Comms69
    That is just paranoia, the landlord obviously has good reason to get work done so it is reasonable they will want to have it inspected prior to work commencing.

The landlord starting work without tenants permission is ludicrous, it will hurt the landlord more than the tenant as tenant can distrupt work greatly. The idea that the landlord might evict them illegally is also even more silly.

Seriously guys, stop feeding irrational paranoia. The OP thinks the inspectors will pretend to inspect but then, on the landlords order go "aha, now I am in, I will do the repairs!". Something out of loony tunes I think.
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    Where is the harassment? If he changes the locks why would the scheduled people not turn up - nor the landlord nor the inspectors know that they are unwanted.

What illegal eviction? It is OP being paranoid.

Basically, the advice given was total rubbish - what OP needs to do is speak to the landlord and resolve this. Not dig his head in the sand and call the police. I can assure you the police will not be impressed.

Tried to resolve it was on the phone last for an hour. And i wont call the police becuse i know how useless they are.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 1:13 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    need an answer
    OP...What work is it that the LL actually wants to do?

I understand that you say its been building up for over 4 years but surely if you allow some of the work to be done,depending what it is ,it could improve your quality of life whilst you still remain in the property.

I understand that predominantly the work is to prepare for someone else moving in after you leave but if for example its to repair something that has really caused you inconvenience then I don't see why you shouldn't allow entry for that to happen.

For eg if you were living with a broken boiler and needing to heat water another way then having a new one fitted even for a short time would be less inconvenient for you than to continue as you were.

Ultimately the choice is yours but it does seem as if you want to cause issue with the LL whilst you still can.

I in no way defend anyone who takes 4 years to fix problems but there are 2 sides to every story.....
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    OP...What work is it that the LL actually wants to do?

I understand that you say its been building up for over 4 years but surely if you allow some of the work to be done,depending what it is ,it could improve your quality of life whilst you still remain in the property.

I understand that predominantly the work is to prepare for someone else moving in after you leave but if for example its to repair something that has really caused you inconvenience then I don't see why you shouldn't allow entry for that to happen.

For eg if you were living with a broken boiler and needing to heat water another way then having a new one fitted even for a short time would be less inconvenient for you than to continue as you were.

Ultimately the choice is yours but it does seem as if you want to cause issue with the LL whilst you still can.

I in no way defend anyone who takes 4 years to fix problems but there are 2 sides to every story.....
    Originally posted by need an answer
    Big list of repairs just a few of them are big hole in living room floor / windows all drafty seals are shot none really cause an inconvenience but it's all to late they should of done them years ago not last minute also told me they will keep my deposit for new carpets but nothing wrong with them and even if there was surely after 4 years it's wear and tear
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    need an answer
    Did you have a check in inventory...?

When you vacate the property you should leave it in the same state as documented in the inventory,with allowance for wear and tear.

Without seeing the inventory and the carpets now,we cant comment on whether new carpets are needed...and example being dirt is not wear and tear neither is perhaps a burn or a stain,

If you feel that your deposit is being withheld inappropriately then once you have checked out you can raise a dispute with the deposit service who hold your deposit.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • helpneeded2014
    • By helpneeded2014 17th May 19, 1:59 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    helpneeded2014
    Did you have a check in inventory...?

When you vacate the property you should leave it in the same state as documented in the inventory,with allowance for wear and tear.

Without seeing the inventory and the carpets now,we cant comment on whether new carpets are needed...and example being dirt is not wear and tear neither is perhaps a burn or a stain,

If you feel that your deposit is being withheld inappropriately then once you have checked out you can raise a dispute with the deposit service who hold your deposit.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    no inventry done by the landlord and everything is the same now as wehn we moved in if not better. even on the reference this is part of what it says

(The house has always been spotless (to date) and the appliances clean and undamaged. Surprisingly, there has been (to date), no sign in the property that a dog has been living there! A conscientious plan of hoovering must be occurring!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,684Posts Today

6,916Users online

Martin's Twitter