Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Meehash
    • By Meehash 16th May 19, 8:57 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Meehash
    Upgrading credit card vs account history
    • 16th May 19, 8:57 PM
    Upgrading credit card vs account history 16th May 19 at 8:57 PM
    I received an offer from Barclaycard to upgrade my Initial (now called Forward) Barclaycard to Platinum. If I do agree - how is it reflected in the reports? Would my current credit card account be just updated or would it involve settling the old account and opening new one?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 19, 8:59 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th May 19, 8:59 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:59 PM
    It depends how they treat it.
    You would need to ask them really.
    • Meehash
    • By Meehash 16th May 19, 9:14 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Meehash
    • 16th May 19, 9:14 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:14 PM
    Well I did, but the guy only repeated they wouldn't make another credit search and... carried on persuading me to upgrade. I don't want to open new credit account in the near future (applying for a mortgage soon), but I don't mind better rate or other goodies if it's just upgrade.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 19, 10:43 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th May 19, 10:43 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:43 PM
    When they upgrade you they usually don’t search.

The question would be whether they close the old account or just upgrade the existing one.

When I changed from the freedom rewards card to a platinum card they kept the same account but just issued a new card
    • stu2500
    • By stu2500 17th May 19, 10:21 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stu2500
    • 17th May 19, 10:21 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:21 AM
    When mine was changed from Gold to Platinum a few years ago, no changes were made on my credit account and no extra accounts were opened. But, this was around 6 years' ago.
    • yams
    • By yams 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    yams
    • 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    Just to add to what everyone else has said... I've been upgraded a couple of times with Barclaycard and it's always been the same account and no credit searches. They are probably choosing to upgrade based on your usage of the card you have with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin