Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahDoe
    • By SarahDoe 16th May 19, 8:38 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SarahDoe
    Raise in income
    • 16th May 19, 8:38 PM
    Raise in income 16th May 19 at 8:38 PM
    Hi everyone!

I have a quick question on pay rise.
    I am currently bankrupt, will be discharges next week, yay! I have got IPA, though. As you all know, the tax code has changed recently. On the top of that I got salary increased by 2.6 %, inline with the inflation. This made my take-home figure go up by 70 pounds exactly.

I have let my OR know, that I will be getting that, and asked, if I could keep it since it was just covering the inflation (I did not have the figure at that time, I thought it would be 40-45 pounds). OR said that once I received new payment, I would need to provide the rationale to why I need this money.

Any advise on what would be acceptable by the OR?
    I have put together some of the bills, which gone up in the last year, despite me saving water and gas/electricity.
    Can I just say that I would like more money for groceries, since there is inflation? How much can I reasonably ask? 20 pounds more?
    I was "hoping" that my rent would go up, as last year, but it did not
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 17th May 19, 6:46 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 17th May 19, 6:46 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:46 AM
    If you do an SOA and post it on here we can look to see where changes can be made to ensure you have sufficient to live on...
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php this is a good one with a 'format to post to MSE' button at the bottom.
    • tom9112
    • By tom9112 18th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tom9112
    • 18th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 18th May 19, 9:06 AM
    It's going to be hard to argue, your expenses haven't changed at all but income did.

Have you new SOA reviewed.
    • Hardly Quim
    • By Hardly Quim 18th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hardly Quim
    • 18th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 18th May 19, 7:34 PM
    I would say nothing. Do you mean IVA?
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 19th May 19, 6:51 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 19th May 19, 6:51 AM
    • 19th May 19, 6:51 AM
    Originally posted by Hardly Quim
    a) illegal
    b) No - she is quite clear, she means an IPA …if you are not sure what an IPA in BR is, then maybe you are offering advice on the wrong board?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th May 19, 12:28 PM
    • 17,195 Posts
    • 16,213 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th May 19, 12:28 PM
    • 19th May 19, 12:28 PM
    Originally posted by Hardly Quim

Quite a reckless option to offer as a way forward, could have serious concequences for the OP.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Hardly Quim
    • By Hardly Quim 19th May 19, 1:08 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hardly Quim
    • 19th May 19, 1:08 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:08 PM
    I'm someone who has been dealing with IP's and ORs for years. They don't have the time to be chasing small change. IP's only care about their fees and don't look for making work for themselves.

How with the OR know???
    • SarahDoe
    • By SarahDoe 19th May 19, 1:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SarahDoe
    • 19th May 19, 1:43 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:43 PM
    Hi guys,

Thank you for replies, I am a bit slow in answering.
    Just to be clear, it is IPA after bankruptcy. Not IVA.
    Last Friday I have sent an email to OR with new pay slip. Also, included bills (from 2018 and current) that have gone up. That covered almost 20 pounds out of 70. Also tried my luck. Asked increase in allowances here and there to cover inflation.

I am waiting for reply now from OR. Will let you know how it goes.

One more question. I am getting discharged in few days. Do I need to continue emailing OR for any change or Clarke W. company?
    • broaps
    • By broaps 19th May 19, 2:35 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    broaps
    • 19th May 19, 2:35 PM
    • 19th May 19, 2:35 PM
    If the last time you did a soa for the OR was a year ago the cost of everything in it will have increased because of inflation. Your pay rise was to reflect this as food, petrol, insurance, train fares, council tax etc have all gone up in the last year. The change in the tax code gave a reduction of 130 pa for lower rate tax payers and pushed back the threshold for the higher rate so maybe the OR could claim that, but anything else is just to make up for increased costs caused by inflation. Do a new soa showing the increased cost of everything and hopefully you'll be OK. Good luck.
    • SarahDoe
    • By SarahDoe 20th May 19, 11:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SarahDoe
    Hi guys!

Very quick update.
    My new expenditures were accepted without any questions. They were really reasonable figures, 5-10 pounds here and there.
    In fact (not sure how), the IPA amount was reduced by 15 pounds. All I asked for was keeping it at the same level.

Very happy now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

6,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Can't believe my luck. Just got this email My name is Manuel Franco. I won $768.4m Lottery Jackpot. I have a don? https://t.co/OSYkS7tu2c

• It should be a poll. You are implying your view is the only view anyone can hold. Clearly the poll results show tha? https://t.co/ur0ejJ1fjB

• Today's Twitter Poll: Is milkshaking legitimate political protest or unacceptable thuggery? In recent weeks a few? https://t.co/hjCpu9zqwZ

• Follow Martin