Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J B
    • By J B 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 3,380Posts
    • 1,247Thanks
    J B
    Sold my car 'as seen' then problem ...
    • 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    Sold my car 'as seen' then problem ... 16th May 19 at 8:30 PM
    I've sold my 56 reg Nissan X-Trail today

I wrote him a bill and we both signed it.
    It says "sold as seen and driven"

Money in bank at midday, guy came and collected car at 2pm

About half an hour later it conked out on him on his way home.

Long story short - his local garage couldn't deal with it and told him that he should reject it as 'not fit for purpose'

I have arranged for it to be collected and taken to my local garage (who have serviced it for the last 6/7 years) and hope that they will look at it in the morning - I hope it's something simple.

I *think* that I wasn't obliged to do anything to help, but just felt that it was an honourable thing to do - was I legally right?
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 6,537 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    Are you a car dealer?
    This space for hire.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 16th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 16,392 Posts
    • 22,661 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 16th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:40 PM
    I've sold my 56 reg Nissan X-Trail today

I wrote him a bill and we both signed it.
    It says "sold as seen and driven"

Money in bank at midday, guy came and collected car at 2pm

About half an hour later it conked out on him on his way home.

Long story short - his local garage couldn't deal with it and told him that he should reject it as 'not fit for purpose'

I have arranged for it to be collected and taken to my local garage (who have serviced it for the last 6/7 years) and hope that they will look at it in the morning - I hope it's something simple.

I *think* that I wasn't obliged to do anything to help, but just felt that it was an honourable thing to do - was I legally right?
    Originally posted by J B
    WAS there anything wrong with it that you knew about?

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive...

Put yourself in you buyer's shoes. How would you feel if you had just bought a car, it died 30 minutes into ownership, and the seller said "tough sh*t"?

Probably best to wait and see what the garage says.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 16th May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 8,006 Posts
    • 6,577 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 16th May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:03 PM

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive...

Put yourself in you buyer's shoes. How would you feel if you had just bought a car, it died 30 minutes into ownership, and the seller said "tough sh*t"?

Originally posted by pinkshoes
    How would I feel? If the car was a genuine private sale and the car was a lot cheaper than a similar one with a dealer warranty I'd accept its a gamble I lost.

A buyer has plenty of opportunity to fully inspect, test a car and ask questions before purchase. If they turn up, pay cash and drive away that's tough on them. Caveat Emptor applies.
    • J B
    • By J B 16th May 19, 9:13 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    • 16th May 19, 9:13 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:13 PM
    Are you a car dealer?
    Originally posted by waamo

No.Privately owned car. Private sale.

"Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive....
    I was unaware of any problems.
    It's a 12 year old car with 106K miles on the clock

I haven't said tough, I've arranged to have it towed back to 'my' garage.

How would I feel? If the car was a genuine private sale and the car was a lot cheaper than a similar one with a dealer warranty I'd accept its a gamble I lost.

A buyer has plenty of opportunity to fully inspect, test a car and ask questions before purchase. If they turn up, pay cash and drive away that's tough on them. Caveat Emptor applies.
    Originally posted by daveyjp

Rather embarrassingly I joked as I was saying 'sold as seen' that it could break down on the way home. I also suggested that the 03 reg Land/Range Rover that they arrived in could do the same and we all nodded in agreement.

Will cross fingers and hope it's something simple
    • Les79
    • By Les79 16th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    Les79
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 PM

Originally posted by daveyjp

Message me if you are looking for a vehicle in the near future

I'll do it "a lot cheaper" for you and it should last for just under 30 mins without conking out
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 13,424 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:35 PM
    I'm no car expert but I feel," sold as seen " is code for its dodgy, but ive got my money now.
    like some acquaintances who told me they went to car boot sales nowhere near their home to sell dodgy electrical goods they can't be confronted about.
    Last edited by hollydays; 16-05-2019 at 9:37 PM.
    • J B
    • By J B 17th May 19, 6:54 AM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    • 17th May 19, 6:54 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:54 AM
    I'm no car expert but I feel," sold as seen " is code for its dodgy, but ive got my money now.
    like some acquaintances who told me they went to car boot sales nowhere near their home to sell dodgy electrical goods they can't be confronted about.
    Originally posted by hollydays

I'm no car expert either - the car was in full working order and had never conked out on me in the 9 years that I've owned it.

I've never sold a car privately before but I've read on several websites that 'sold as seen' is a way of covering myself

http://www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

I don't have any acquaintances who sell dodgy stuff at car boot sales, sorry.
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 17th May 19, 7:03 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    • 17th May 19, 7:03 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:03 AM
    I would get a quote from the garage, if it's not worth the money to repair, offer his money back and see if you can scrap the car or sell for parts. If it's expensive to repair then I doubt it would be worth your time and money repairing it
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 19, 7:34 AM
    • 6,856 Posts
    • 6,771 Thanks
    DoaM
    "Sold as seen" doesn't mean you can cover up any dodgy problems and hope someone doesn't spot them on a short test drive.
    In private sales, all that's required is that the seller has good title (i.e. owns the goods to be able to sell them), and that the goods match the advertised description (including anything said verbally during contract negotiations).

If OP was the owner, and the goods matched the description (i.e. he was unaware of any impending issues), then he could take the hard line of "tough". However he appears to be doing the honourable thing even though he has no legal liability to do so.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • J B
    • By J B 17th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    If OP was the owner, and the goods matched the description (i.e. he was unaware of any impending issues), then he could take the hard line of "tough". However he appears to be doing the honourable thing even though he has no legal liability to do so.
    Originally posted by DoaM

I was the owner (for 9 years!) and I was unaware of any impending issues.
    It was a bit old and noisy as you may expect for a nearly 13 year old car with 106K miles on the clock.

The purchaser hasn't go angry with me (yet!)and so I hope we can resolve the issue amicably.

• societys child
    • By societys child 17th May 19, 7:17 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 7,071 Thanks
    societys child

Yes I have bought vehicles that broke down 30 minutes later, fixed it, in the dark, well enough to get me home, sorted it the next day and never crossed my mind to moan at the seller.
    You want warranty, pay the dealer price.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,852Posts Today

6,724Users online

Martin's Twitter