Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johnsof75
    • By johnsof75 16th May 19, 7:32 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    johnsof75
    Personal Injury Claim- what expenses can we claim for?
    • 16th May 19, 7:32 PM
    Personal Injury Claim- what expenses can we claim for? 16th May 19 at 7:32 PM
    My 75 year old father is disabled. In December his arm was broken by patient transport. A serious incident review has been completed and the driver was sacked for negligence (he now has a new job). We have been advised to put in a personal injury claim which we have never done before. We have contacted a solicitor and they have completed the first stage of the portal (?). They have asked me to provide details of expenses incurred. I donít know what types of things we can claim for and whether we even have receipts. Has anyone else hit experience of this? Can, for example, we claim the travel costs for visiting the hospital each day ? Can you claim for the £4 per day for hospital television or is that something we just have to suck up? Sorry for asking basic questions we just donít have a clue. Thank you.
Page 1
    • kelevraz
    • By kelevraz 16th May 19, 8:03 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    kelevraz
    • 16th May 19, 8:03 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:03 PM
    My 75 year old father is disabled. In December his arm was broken by patient transport. A serious incident review has been completed and the driver was sacked for negligence (he now has a new job). We have been advised to put in a personal injury claim which we have never done before. We have contacted a solicitor and they have completed the first stage of the portal (?). They have asked me to provide details of expenses incurred. I donít know what types of things we can claim for and whether we even have receipts. Has anyone else hit experience of this? Can, for example, we claim the travel costs for visiting the hospital each day ? Can you claim for the £4 per day for hospital television or is that something we just have to suck up? Sorry for asking basic questions we just donít have a clue. Thank you.
    Originally posted by johnsof75
    You can claim for any necessary costs you've incurred as a result of this accident.

You can claim for travel expenses, loss of earnings, future loss of earnings, possibly for loss of earnings for any family that had to take time off to help, any additional equipment you needed to buy as a result, any medicine you've had to buy as a result

You may not have receipts, but you'll probably be able to get a list of the days you went to the hospital as they'll be able to confirm how many appointments you had / how many times you came in and you can get a 'rough' idea of travel costs from that.

I cant imagine they'd cover the cost of the hospital television - although, given that it was one of their staff who caused the injury, you never know, no harm in trying anyway.

And of course, pain and suffering - theres probably some stuff i've missed, but you get the gist of it. Basically imagine what life would've been like if the accident hadn't happened. And then compile a list of all the stuff that you've had to spend money on because it did happen
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    We have been advised to put in a personal injury claim
    Originally posted by johnsof75

Advised by who ?
    • johnsof75
    • By johnsof75 16th May 19, 9:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    johnsof75
    • 16th May 19, 9:26 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:26 PM
    Thank you for your responses. We were advised by the hospital staff and social worker to submit a claim against the insurance of the patient transport service (a private company) - as they may be able to help with the costs of additional care.

My father has now been in hospital for several months as a consequence of his broken arm (he is paralysed down the other side so the broken arm has had significant implications). Would we be able to submit travel costs for going to visit him every day or is this unreasonable? The travel costs have been much greater and for much longer than we would have anticipated (who knew parking in hospitals was so expensive!) . Thank you once again for your advice.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 17th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 17th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:07 AM
    You can submit travel costs as those journeys were only taken due to the injury.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin