Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JillyC8
    • By JillyC8 16th May 19, 6:36 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 103Thanks
    JillyC8
    Group Plan or Workplace Pension - difference?
    • 16th May 19, 6:36 PM
    Group Plan or Workplace Pension - difference? 16th May 19 at 6:36 PM
    I have a DC pension at work with Aviva (a group plan) the newer staff members are with a different pension plan (workplace scheme).

I assumed that with the new ruling on contributions increasing to 5% that mine would too, but I've received a letter saying that I need to instruct the company to increase my contributions if I want to.

The company aren't particularly generous with their contribution but I have discovered that those of us who are with Aviva receive an extra 1% contribution from the company than those in the newer plan, which seems strange.

Does anyone know the difference between them other than the group plan is not hosted as such by the company?
Page 1
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 16th May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 16th May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 16th May 19, 6:55 PM
    Both schemes are 'workplace pensions' - sounds as if you are in a group personal pension with Aviva and newer employees are possibly in NEST, Peoples Pension or similar?

The only person who can answer 'what's the difference?' is your employer. My guess would be that they are using the newer scheme as a means of not paying the extra 1% you receive.
    • JillyC8
    • By JillyC8 16th May 19, 8:45 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    JillyC8
    • 16th May 19, 8:45 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:45 PM
    I contacted accounts and was told the Aviva one isn't a workplace pension, and the newer one with NOW is. I thought there might be some difference between them.
  • jamesd
    • 16th May 19, 9:50 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:50 PM
    Both are workplace pensions but the contribution rules can be different. Likely worse for the new one. Be glad you're in the group plan, which will also offer you a better range of investments to use.

The auto-enrolment rules that compel companies to enrol all employees typically leads to more employees using the pension. Not paying the 1% offsets the extra cost a bit.
    • JillyC8
    • By JillyC8 16th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    JillyC8
    • 16th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:07 PM
    Seems pretty unfair ... I'm not sure why there aren't complaints about it. But as you say, I should be happy I'm in the older plan.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 17th May 19, 8:37 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 3,414 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 17th May 19, 8:37 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:37 AM
    Seems pretty unfair ... I'm not sure why there aren't complaints about it. But as you say, I should be happy I'm in the older plan.
    Originally posted by JillyC8
    Since the government has mandated an absolute minimum for contributions, some of those companies with more generous schemes have decided to rush for the bottom and drop their contributions to that level.

Your company seems to have gone 'halfway-house' and only put new starters in the minimum-required-scheme, while keeping existing employees with the previous (slightly) more generous scheme.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 17th May 19, 2:18 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 17th May 19, 2:18 PM
    • 17th May 19, 2:18 PM
    Could also be that previously only certain employees had the benefit of being in a pension scheme ( the aviva one ) When auto enrolment started , employers were forced to include all employees ( almost ) and at that point they also decided to change the workplace pension provider . Most probably NOW did not even exist when the aviva scheme was set up.
    • JillyC8
    • By JillyC8 17th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    JillyC8
    • 17th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:13 PM
    I remember receiving a letter a few years ago asking if I wanted to move to the new scheme but that if I did I couldn’t rejoin the old ... glad I didn’t move.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

372Posts Today

3,689Users online

Martin's Twitter