PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making a revised offer after a Homebuyers report

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    luiza8 wrote: »
    The homebuyers report said they were of high severity. While they both looked in good condition but they had to put them down as a 3 (most severe) as there was no certificate to show they're in good condition..
    You misunderstand. The report must give a 3 for gas & electric because the surveyor is not qualified to test them.
  • luiza8
    luiza8 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    These are two very different things, but neither of them is quantified at present, so you are expecting a reduction based on a vague assertion that 'something' needs to be done.

You need somone qualified to give you an estimate for whatever needs doing in order to gain the best leverage.

On what basis did you negotiate the existing reduction and was it unreasonable for the agent to imagine the roof figured in that?

Remember, she is not working for you, but trying to get the best price for her client, so being 'infuriated' by her might be a little OTT.

I'm hoping for a reduction because work is needed on the roof, that's been recommended by a surveyor.

We negotiated the existing reduction because the house needs a new bathroom and kitchen and the boiler is most likely needing to be replaced.

She is working for the client yes, however she has been working on the house sale for 6 months, at the same fixed fee. She will want rid of it ASAP rather than hoping to squeeze and extra few thousand out of either myself or scaring us away and hoping for another buyer. She is getting a fixed fee for it so the quicker she sells it the more the company will have earned per day, and will free up resources for other properties.
  • luiza8
    so the property has been valued at £20 less than your offer....its a genuine question,but how much do you want to negotiate the price down by given the fact that the figures are so close?

I am not bothered its 20 less than we offered. I want to reduce the price because works need doing on the property that we didn't know about. There is also damp around the front and rear doors which need to be replaced. Work needs to be done on the chimney, new bathroom and kitchen needs to be put in also.
  • luiza8
    You misunderstand. The report must give a 3 for gas & electric because the surveyor is not qualified to test them.

After speaking with the surveyor, he said if they had the certificates they would not have been a 3, but yes, he couldn't test them
  • Davesnave
    edited 16 May 2019 at 6:20PM
    I'm hoping for a reduction because work is needed on the roof, that's been recommended by a surveyor.
    Yes, I recognised that in my reply.

According to you, however, it's not clear exactly what needs doing, so how are you going to negotiate regarding this matter without knowing what it is and approximately what it will cost? You need a roofer's estimate.

However, as others have pointed-out, if the surveyor says the house is worth what you are paying, you might find it a struggle to get a further reduction anyway.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    I am not bothered its 20 less than we offered. I want to reduce the price because works need doing on the property that we didn't know about. There is also damp around the front and rear doors which need to be replaced. Work needs to be done on the chimney, new bathroom and kitchen needs to be put in also.

but with respect the property has been valued by a qualified surveyor to take into account the whole property condition.

TBH its going to be very difficult to persuade any seller that you should have further money off the house price if the surveyor has valued it at that amount in its current condition
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If the property is valued by the surveyor at the price you have offered and had accepted what is the case for you negotiating any reduction?

With Gas & Electricity it is not common to have certificates (gas safety is needed if you are renting out a property). If you want to assure yourself all is ok commission inspections and keep the certificates. As said above they are for you and you only.
  • Davesnave
    After speaking with the surveyor, he said if they had the certificates they would not have been a 3, but yes, he couldn't test them
    If you have been renting you will have seen safety certificates that a landlord must provide, but it's not the same for owner-occupiers.

Some people have service records for their gas appliances and others don't.

It's not usual for a vendor to supply an electrical condition certificate. That's something a buyer can obtain if they feel one is needed.
  • luiza8
    Yes, I recognised that in my reply.

According to you, however, it's not clear exactly what needs doing, so how are you going to negotiate regarding this matter without knowing what it is and approximately what it will cost? You need a roofer's estimate.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your reply. I've had 2 estimates from 2 different companies both quoting around 6k for the roof repairs.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's very simple. The surveyor thinks it's worth your offer IN THE CONDITION HE VIEWED IT.

Yes, it needs roof work. If it didn't, it'd be worth more. The price takes the roof work into account.

So, no, you do not have valid grounds for renegotiation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure