Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • damino
    • By damino 16th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 207Posts
    • 7Thanks
    damino
    0 WOW
    cost of returning an item from london to ipswich?
    • 16th May 19, 4:27 PM
    0 WOW
    cost of returning an item from london to ipswich? 16th May 19 at 4:27 PM
    I bought an item it is about 30lb/15kg or max 20kg, in weight, and dimensions are 61cmx80cmx15cm

It cost £40

The seller said I can return it for a full refund, or keep it for 50% refund. It's pretty bad, i'd consider it faulty, not fit for purpose, I would only throw it out.

If I could return it for £10-£15 then it'd be worth it to return But I don't know what delivery company would deliver it for that price?

Is there one, or should I just accept the 50% refund and chuck it?

Thanks
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 17th May 19, 4:36 AM
    • 13,851 Posts
    • 43,116 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 17th May 19, 4:36 AM
    • 17th May 19, 4:36 AM
    I bought an item it is about 30lb/15kg or max 20kg, in weight, and dimensions are 61cmx80cmx15cm

It cost £40

The seller said I can return it for a full refund, or keep it for 50% refund. It's pretty bad, i'd consider it faulty, not fit for purpose, I would only throw it out.

If I could return it for £10-£15 then it'd be worth it to return But I don't know what delivery company would deliver it for that price?

Is there one, or should I just accept the 50% refund and chuck it?

Thanks
    Originally posted by damino
    Are you sure the full refund doesn’t include postage?
    I recently had to send an item back and I queried return postage and was told to email them a postage receipt and they would include it in the refund which they did. I used Hermes print at home label as it was far cheaper than Royal Mail.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • damino
    • By damino 17th May 19, 4:44 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    • 17th May 19, 4:44 AM
    • 17th May 19, 4:44 AM
    Are you sure the full refund doesn’t include postage?
    I recently had to send an item back and I queried return postage and was told to email them a postage receipt and they would include it in the refund which they did. I used Hermes print at home label as it was far cheaper than Royal Mail.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    I don't think so.. They had no idea how much postage costs / They feign no idea of how much postage costs (even though they posted it to me in the first place)
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    Was it a purchase from a shop/business. If so and it is genuinely faulty I'd be expecting the seller to cover the postage.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 17th May 19, 7:04 AM
    • 13,851 Posts
    • 43,116 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 17th May 19, 7:04 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:04 AM
    I don't think so.. They had no idea how much postage costs / They feign no idea of how much postage costs (even though they posted it to me in the first place)
    Go online and get postage quote and email them back asking if they will refund it on top of the item cost.

Worth a try !
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • damino
    • By damino 17th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    • 17th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:28 AM
    Go online and get postage quote and email them back asking if they will refund it on top of the item cost.

Worth a try !
    I did and it came out at £24 postage. Item is £39.99 / £40.

the postage plus the item costs more than the item.

The item was free postage. But it's a big time so it wouldn't have been free for him to post. But he says he doesn't know how much it cost to post.

Maybe I can find a 'man with a van' for £15, though would only save me £5 ('cos if I send it to him and get £40 from him and pay £15 for delivery, then I have £25 back. Alternatively, if I keep it and bin it and take the 50% refund instead i'd have £20 back)
    Last edited by damino; 17-05-2019 at 7:30 AM.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 17th May 19, 7:40 AM
    • 13,851 Posts
    • 43,116 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 17th May 19, 7:40 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:40 AM
    I did and it came out at £24 postage. Item is £39.99 / £40.

the postage plus the item costs more than the item.

The item was free postage. But it's a big time so it wouldn't have been free for him to post. But he says he doesn't know how much it cost to post.

Maybe I can find a 'man with a van' for £15, though would only save me £5 ('cos if I send it to him and get £40 from him and pay £15 for delivery, then I have £25 back. Alternatively, if I keep it and bin it and take the 50% refund instead i'd have £20 back)
    Could you keep it and put it on a local buy and sell group?
    • damino
    • By damino 17th May 19, 8:39 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    • 17th May 19, 8:39 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:39 AM
    Could you keep it and put it on a local buy and sell group?
    maybe though I don't want to pass on something that is rather faulty.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    You havent answered question #4
    If You bought from a business (or on ebay ) and it is faulty then you are due a full refund with seller paying return costs ( if they want it back )
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 62,056 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    soolin
    You havent answered question #4
    If You bought from a business (or on ebay ) and it is faulty then you are due a full refund with seller paying return costs ( if they want it back )
    Originally posted by dlusman
    This is the response that OP needs to reply to, eveyrhting else is just a red herring.

If this was an online purchase from any venue then buyer is entitled to a full refund and if seller wants the item back then they have to pay for the pick up and return.

That's it.

The only complication might be is if buyer paid for the item using an unsafe method of payment like a bank transfer, but hopefully most of us are aware of that issue now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • damino
    • By damino 17th May 19, 2:10 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    Okay I could tell them that I am due a full refund and would like to send it back but they would have to pay for delivery.

It was free postage, so if by law they don't have to pay for delivery, then it's a bit unfair to them 'cos they included postage in the price.

If by law they do have to pay for delivery then fine.

Thanks
    Last edited by damino; 17-05-2019 at 2:13 PM.
    • damino
    • By damino 17th May 19, 2:14 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    [QUOTE=GrumpyDil;75820626]Was it a purchase from a shop/business. ]

Yes

If so and it is genuinely faulty I'd be expecting the seller to cover the postage.
    Is that a legal requirement they must abide by?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th May 19, 3:01 PM
    • 62,056 Posts
    • 44,504 Thanks
    soolin
    Okay I could tell them that I am due a full refund and would like to send it back but they would have to pay for delivery.

It was free postage, so if by law they don't have to pay for delivery, then it's a bit unfair to them 'cos they included postage in the price.

If by law they do have to pay for delivery then fine.

Thanks
    I don't know why the fact that this was originally free delivery is such an issue for you? What do you mean by ' so if by law they don't have to pay for delivery,' ? Of course they paid for delivery, no courier or RM works for nothing, it just means they included the delivery price in with the item, a normal business decision for many sites. A lot of things I sell include postage, it doesn't mean I am posting for free and makes no difference at all to my buyers legal rights.

[QUOTE=damino;75822341]
    Was it a purchase from a shop/business. ]

Yes

Is that a legal requirement they must abide by?
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    Yes, faulty goods are covered legally.

I do not think you are understanding the responses at all. Can you start again and be clear this time.
    1) Where did you buy it from (ie private site, shop etc)
    2) How did you pay
    3) when exactly did you buy it
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • damino
    • By damino 18th May 19, 9:11 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripping them off 'cos the postage was advertised as free, but I also wasn't sure if they were ripping me off by expecting me to pay for postage or only giving me 50% back, but I understand from responses that they'd have payed for postage when they sent it and should pay when I return the faulty item.

It's from ebay. I have told the seller they owe me a full/100% refund and that i'd like to send it back but they'd pay postage, and they said okay and to use a prepaid label an drop it into a parcelforce depot. So I will do that.

So now I will get a 100% refund and they will take care of postage/delivery cost.

Thanks again
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 18th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    dlusman

It's from ebay.
    I presume you have opened a "Not as Described" in ebay .
    If not - you should do it now.
    If you have just done it so far just by contacting the seller, you shouldnt rely on their honesty/goodwill on doing things properly
    Last edited by dlusman; 18-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 34,431 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripping them off 'cos the postage was advertised as free, but I also wasn't sure if they were ripping me off by expecting me to pay for postage or only giving me 50% back, but I understand from responses that they'd have payed for postage when they sent it and should pay when I return the faulty item.

It's from ebay. I have told the seller they owe me a full/100% refund and that i'd like to send it back but they'd pay postage, and they said okay and to use a prepaid label an drop it into a parcelforce depot. So I will do that.

So now I will get a 100% refund and they will take care of postage/delivery cost.

Thanks again

Did you believe free postage meant nobody paid?
    • damino
    • By damino 18th May 19, 12:41 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    damino
    Did you believe free postage meant nobody paid?
    Originally posted by custardy
    possibly

I thought maybe somebody owes him some favours, but i'm not very knowledgeable on human interactions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

5,694Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin