Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kazaa
    • By Kazaa 16th May 19, 4:10 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Kazaa
    Civil Enforcement - County Claim
    • 16th May 19, 4:10 PM
    Civil Enforcement - County Claim 16th May 19 at 4:10 PM
    Hello guys,

I received a parking fine for parking at my own gym last year, can you believe it? Anyway ive asked the gym to cancel this but they cannot cancel it and only provide proof of membership that im a member of the gym and am authorised to park there.

Ive contacted civil enforcement on many occasions however they refused to accept this and simply been ignoring me! I think this is totally unreasonable and now they have decided to send me a CCJ!

I have filled in the acknowledgement of service and question is on my defence which to me is simple as defendant is member of gym and is authorised to park there.

is this enough?
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    Who owns the car park where you have authorised parking from the gym?

How do you prove this authorisation? Do you have to display a permit for example?

What exactly happened with the ticket? What were you "accused" of?

CE can't send you a CCJ. What letter have to you received and what does it, actually say?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 16th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 13,041 Posts
    • 13,364 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 16th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:30 PM
    Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams and will fail in court so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 4:57 PM
    • 72,085 Posts
    • 84,433 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th May 19, 4:57 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:57 PM
    Why didn't you come here earlier and win on first appeal, when CEL used to cancel, or why didn't you utilise the POPLA appeal stage (or did you)?

received a parking fine for parking at my own gym last year, can you believe it?
    Yes, happens all the time.

But this is not a fine.

Search this forum for CEL gym and learn that the Gym CAN CANCEL IT. They are wrong. Read other threads exactly the same.

Come back here at court claim defence stage if you can't persuade the Gym Manager.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Redx
    • By Redx 16th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 22,461 Posts
    • 28,477 Thanks
    Redx
    • 16th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:01 PM
    I believe that the OP has an N1 form and has done the AOS

What is the ISSUE DATE on the top right of that claim form ?

ps:- to the OP, the claimant has issued a court claim, not a CCJ, it is a judge that issues a CCJ if you lose the case , so at this stage it is NOT a CCJ because no judge has seen it

so the CC part is correct but there is no J yet
    Last edited by Redx; 16-05-2019 at 5:08 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 5:05 PM
    • 72,085 Posts
    • 84,433 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th May 19, 5:05 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:05 PM
    Well spotted, Redx. I didn't see that as they didn't mention a claim form.

Do answer this, OP: what is the ISSUE DATE on the top right of that claim form ?

You need to read other permit gym keypad defence threads.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Kazaa
    • By Kazaa 18th May 19, 2:23 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kazaa
    • 18th May 19, 2:23 AM
    • 18th May 19, 2:23 AM
    Hello,

The issue date is 14 May 2019 its a county claim form not CCJ, you're right. I have filed the acknowledgment of service to give me extension.

So normally you enter the registration in the keypad and then it registers, clearly that day it didn't register. On top of that the gym said the land has been sold to the private car park and they deal with it.

Thanks coupon I will read some permit gym keypad defence threads, and see what I can come up with. But honestly this company CEL is taking the mick after I provided them proof I'm a member of the gym!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 18th May 19, 5:57 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 18th May 19, 5:57 AM
    • 18th May 19, 5:57 AM
    Did they say who the car park had been sold to? Is the car park solely for gym members?

If you can find out who owns the car park you can contact them to see if they will cancel it.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th May 19, 7:47 AM
    • 23,393 Posts
    • 37,263 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 18th May 19, 7:47 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:47 AM
    Check with the local council as to which organisation pays the non domestic rates on the car park. That will tell you the name of the landowner. You can check too whether there has been a recent change of ownership notified.

One thing is absolutely certain, it won’t have been purchased by CEL!

Have you considered that this ‘sale’ message is but a fob-off line? If you find that it is, I would be seriously questioning an organisation that is happy to deceive its own customers!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 18th May 19, 9:20 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    NeilCr

Have you considered that this ‘sale’ message is but a fob-off line? !
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    That crossed my mind too!. Although, in my experience, it's quite unusual for gyms to own their car parks.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 18th May 19, 12:53 PM
    • 14,738 Posts
    • 16,934 Thanks
    KeithP
    The issue date is 14 May 2019 its a county claim form not CCJ, you're right. I have filed the acknowledgment of service to give me extension.
    Originally posted by Kazaa
    With a Claim Issue Date of 14th May, and having done the Acknowledgement of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 17th June 2019 to file your Defence.

That's just about a month away. Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
    1. Print your Defence.
    2. Sign it and date it.
    3. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    8. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 23,393 Posts
    • 37,263 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    That crossed my mind too!. Although, in my experience, it's quite unusual for gyms to own their car parks.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    I don't doubt that for one moment. But it's a possibility that the gym has contracted the PPC and the 'sold' line is to divert people from complaining to them.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 18-05-2019 at 3:47 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,958Posts Today

4,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin