Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zacharypowell
    • By zacharypowell 16th May 19, 4:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    zacharypowell
    Car Insurance insiting I pay for the remainder of the year after a no fault crash
    • 16th May 19, 4:07 PM
    Car Insurance insiting I pay for the remainder of the year after a no fault crash 16th May 19 at 4:07 PM
    I am in a situation which I could really use some help with.

A couple of months ago I was in a no fault accident that wrote my car off, I contacted my insurance company and told them about the accident. I was assured that as long as it wasn't my fault my no claims or premium wouldn't be affected. I was made to feel like claiming for the damage was the right thing to do.
    In the end the car was written off as it was deemed not worth repairing and I was awarded a 200 payout.

When I then attempted to cancel the insurance I was told I couldn't yet as the claim had not been closed by the underwriter. I left it for a month and continued to pay my premium. Today I was in touch with them again to close the policy and was told I would need to pay a full 600 as I have been paying monthly and would need to pay for the remainder of the year.

At no point during the process was I told that this would be the case, the whole time i was made to feel like I was doing the right thing and I now very much feel like I have been conned into giving them more money. I would have been far better off to scrap the car myself, get scrap value and have just canceled the insurance!
    What can I do in this situation? I have now canceled my direct debit but clearly the goal would be to get the insurance company to admit that they should have made this clear to me and cancel the demand for payment.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 22,123 Posts
    • 24,138 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:09 PM
    You buy insurance by the year, so whether you pay for it up front or monthly, you still need to pay for it.

If you'd scrapped the car yourself, you would still be paying for the insurance, but just have had a little more work to do.
    • zacharypowell
    • By zacharypowell 16th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zacharypowell
    • 16th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:13 PM
    Well no if i had scrapped the car myself I could have canceled the policy and just paid a 40 admin fee to do so.

This is my point as per their own terms I'm allowed to cancel my insurance for what ever reason. But by making a claim I'm not allowed to cancel. Because I wasn't told this and was told I should cancel it feels very much like they are trying to push me into the route to get the most money out of me.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th May 19, 4:14 PM
    • 38,869 Posts
    • 22,832 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th May 19, 4:14 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:14 PM
    Cancelling your DD won't help you!

Expect them to pursue you for the money you owe them and put a black mark on your credit record
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 10,199 Posts
    • 15,849 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    Yep, they are a business, that's their job.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 4:20 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 4:20 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:20 PM
    Buy another car and transfer the insurance?
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th May 19, 4:24 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th May 19, 4:24 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:24 PM
    They are not saying you can't cancel. You just have to pay the remainder of the policy year. Which is more than normal. An insurance policy is a yearly product, you just take out a loan to pay for it monthly.

If it's a no-fault accident, once your insurers recover the money back from the third party insurers, you can then cancel your policy and won't have to pay the remainder.
    • kelevraz
    • By kelevraz 16th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    kelevraz
    • 16th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 16th May 19, 6:20 PM

If it's a no-fault accident, once your insurers recover the money back from the third party insurers, you can then cancel your policy and won't have to pay the remainder.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    Pretty much this OP, from the sounds of it, your claim is still open, so until recovery is made, its classed as a open pending / fault claim.

If you have a fault claim during the policy term, your expected to pay the whole premium
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 17th May 19, 7:29 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    nyermen
    • 17th May 19, 7:29 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:29 AM
    Cancelling your DD won't help you!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    And non-payment (which missing a payment would mean) is a reason that insurance can be cancelled, with all the horrors of declaring for life that you have had insurance cancelled...

You should also check what happens with your NCB (if any) as a result of not moving to a new insurance.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off 20k + Interest.
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 17th May 19, 11:05 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    mojo1
    You should call your insurance company and tell them that you want to add the additional monthly payments you have to make on to the cost of the claim. By not settling it quickly the other insurance company is causing you to have to make those payments, when if they settled you could cancel for the 40 admin fee and that would be it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,574Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin