Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 16th May 19, 3:10 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 11Thanks
    rlg3961
    Where to buy in Greater Manchester
    • 16th May 19, 3:10 PM
    Where to buy in Greater Manchester 16th May 19 at 3:10 PM
    I am a FTB looking for a starter home. I have quite a small budget of 120k which is making it difficult for me to find a suitable property.

I currently live in Oldham and despite the trams being convenient there are several reasons I would like to move away from Oldham.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that are decent while also having good transport links to Manchester. I work in the City Centre and that is likely to be the case for at least the next 5/6 years due to the nature of my job.

I don't drive (currently learning) so I'm heavily reliant on public transport. I definitely prefer the tram or buses, trains make me very anxious.

I have viewed a few properties in Ashton-under-lyne, Radcliffe, Failsworth and Bury however for various reasons have not made any offers so far. I did also consider Droylsden as I like the two up two down with dining room however there always seems to be problems there and reports of people being shot etc. (a friend of a friend lives there and has put her house on the market). Most places I would like to live i.e. Sale, Urmston, Whitefield and Prestwich are waaaay above my budget. I do like Bury and have recently started to consider Milnrow but I'm wondering where people live and what their experiences of those places are?

I've read about people renting in an area they like for six months before deciding if to buy there however because I'm not sure where I want to live it's not the best idea for me. I am currently living at home and have never rented before.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by rlg3961; 16-05-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Page 1
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 16th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    lewisa
    • 16th May 19, 3:20 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:20 PM
    Didsbury is hip with the youth. Altrincham?

I'd rather live in a shoebox in a nice area than a bigger place in a bad area.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 16th May 19, 3:33 PM
    • 18,848 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    ACG
    • 16th May 19, 3:33 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:33 PM
    Is there anywhere in Edgeley, Offerton maybe? They are making big investments in that area. I only really know South and West Manchester which seems to be the opposite side of where you are looking.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • motherofstudents
    • By motherofstudents 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    motherofstudents
    • 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:22 PM
    Bury is pretty good. The type of house you are looking for is available in your price range close to the town centre near bus and tram stations. You will get more for your money than south Manchester.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th May 19, 9:11 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 16th May 19, 9:11 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:11 PM
    Milnrow is fine too. If you are used to Oldham how about Shaw?
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 16th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 PM
    Didsbury is hip with the youth. Altrincham?

I'd rather live in a shoebox in a nice area than a bigger place in a bad area.
    Originally posted by lewisa
    I'm definitely the exception for my generation as I've never been to Didsbury. I would love to live in Altrincham but I couldn't afford it. I did see a rent to buy scheme property there though but I'm not too sure about that concept as by that point I'd be thinking about children and it was a very posh flashy apartment so I'd be 30 having to move with no equity.

It;s interesting you should say that though because I have seen one or two flats in Sale that I could stretch to with some negotiation, one a flat and one a maisonette. It's true when they say that you pay for your postcode though
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 16th May 19, 10:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    • 16th May 19, 10:08 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:08 PM
    Is there anywhere in Edgeley, Offerton maybe? They are making big investments in that area. I only really know South and West Manchester which seems to be the opposite side of where you are looking.
    Originally posted by ACG
    I'm just having a look now. Most of the properties are out of my price range but I will definitely be setting up alerts on Rightmove because there are some gorgeous houses there. Most of the properties towards Stockport way in my price range are in Reddish. I've been to Stockport centre several times but I'm not very familiar with the area. I don't know South or West Manchester well either but I've avoided looking there because it's generally out of my budget. But if there are any affordable areas I will check them out
    • Housebuy12345
    • By Housebuy12345 16th May 19, 10:12 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Housebuy12345
    • 16th May 19, 10:12 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:12 PM
    Can’t buy in Didsbury for 110
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 16th May 19, 10:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    • 16th May 19, 10:30 PM
    • 16th May 19, 10:30 PM
    Bury is pretty good. The type of house you are looking for is available in your price range close to the town centre near bus and tram stations. You will get more for your money than south Manchester.
    Originally posted by motherofstudents
    yeah I wish I'd looked into Bury sooner because there's loads SSTC that I like and there doesn't seem to be too many on the market at the moment that don't have problems (the major deal-breaker for me is mould) I will keep an eye out though. I agree about getting more for your money, some of the houses there have huge rooms
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 16th May 19, 10:41 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    Milnrow is fine too. If you are used to Oldham how about Shaw?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I like Shaw and it would definitely be the most convenient place in Oldham especially with the transport. The only problem with Shaw for me is I just don't know if I'd be happy knowing I'd be staying in Oldham for another 5 or so years. I do feel like I need a fresh start as I have too many bad memories here.
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 17th May 19, 6:03 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BurnCK
    Eccles, the Peel Green end nearer to Salford City stadium than Eccles centre itself. I'm from Urmston originally which is only 2 mins away and moved here about 6yrs ago...it's a nice area. Quiet and I've not experienced any crime or trouble. My girlfriend is from Cheadle and recently moved in with me...and even she was impressed with area, saying it was much better than she initially expected. Several of my friends, also from Urmston, have also bought in this area over the years (mainly because it's half the price of Urmston) and none have had any complaints.

It has great motorway links for M60, M62 and M602, tram stop and bus station in Eccles centre, near to the Trafford Centre and a small local Asda as well as the larger one 5-10 mins away. I work in the City Centre and it takes me about 30 mins driving during peak times, which isn't bad at all. On the occasions I've used public transport, the bus was about 40-45 mins and the tram is about 30 mins.

House prices are also still fairly cheap. I currently rent, but am looking to buy here very soon. My current property is a Victorian terrace with bay windows. It has 2 sitting rooms, 2 large bedrooms (some I've seen are 3 as they have loft conversions) and good sized kitchen/bathroom. The average price is around 120-135k at the moment. Also, with the rumoured / expected Salford Docks construction project (which is meant to include a new school, housing, etc) the area will only get even better and house prices should rise, making it a good investment. They go fast though. One near me (was really nicely done inside) was on the market for 125k not that long ago and sold within 2 weeks.

Unfortunately I can't post links on this forum yet, but as an example if you google house prices on Thorp Street which is near me, you'll see a link to RightMove which will show you what you can get for your money.
    Last edited by BurnCK; 17-05-2019 at 6:31 AM.
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 17th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    Eccles, the Peel Green end nearer to Salford City stadium than Eccles centre itself. I'm from Urmston originally which is only 2 mins away and moved here about 6yrs ago...it's a nice area. Quiet and I've not experienced any crime or trouble. My girlfriend is from Cheadle and recently moved in with me...and even she was impressed with area, saying it was much better than she initially expected. Several of my friends, also from Urmston, have also bought in this area over the years (mainly because it's half the price of Urmston) and none have had any complaints.

It has great motorway links for M60, M62 and M602, tram stop and bus station in Eccles centre, near to the Trafford Centre and a small local Asda as well as the larger one 5-10 mins away. I work in the City Centre and it takes me about 30 mins driving during peak times, which isn't bad at all. On the occasions I've used public transport, the bus was about 40-45 mins and the tram is about 30 mins.

House prices are also still fairly cheap. I currently rent, but am looking to buy here very soon. My current property is a Victorian terrace with bay windows. It has 2 sitting rooms, 2 large bedrooms (some I've seen are 3 as they have loft conversions) and good sized kitchen/bathroom. The average price is around 120-135k at the moment. Also, with the rumoured / expected Salford Docks construction project (which is meant to include a new school, housing, etc) the area will only get even better and house prices should rise, making it a good investment. They go fast though. One near me (was really nicely done inside) was on the market for 125k not that long ago and sold within 2 weeks.

Unfortunately I can't post links on this forum yet, but as an example if you google house prices on Thorp Street which is near me, you'll see a link to RightMove which will show you what you can get for your money.
    Originally posted by BurnCK
    That's really interesting actually. I've had a look and the houses look really nice I will definitely keep looking and I think I will probably have to scope the area out a bit. It does seem like a really good option. It's definitely the closest I'm going to get to living in Trafford and much more appealing than paying over the odds to stay in Oldham. The bus to Manchester doesn't seem too bad.

Thank you for the suggestion
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    need an answer
    yeah I wish I'd looked into Bury sooner because there's loads SSTC that I like and there doesn't seem to be too many on the market at the moment that don't have problems (the major deal-breaker for me is mould) I will keep an eye out though. I agree about getting more for your money, some of the houses there have huge rooms
    Originally posted by rlg3961
    Slightly off track,but why is mould a deal breaker?

I admit that sometimes it can be very offputting but actually if you know where and how the mould is forming its actually one of the easiest things to get rid of and clear.

I agree some mould and indeed damp can be costly to rectify but in many cases its often caused by lifestyle and the occupant not ventilating the property.
    Just because someone else suffers with mould doesn't always follow that you would experience it to and as I said sometimes just a few easy changes can make all the difference.

Even damp can be reasonably easily traced back to source and again doesn't always cost huge amounts to put right....

Its very unlikely if your budget is already tight and stretched that you will find the perfect property straight off,there will need to be compromises,but don't always be too critical of some things that you could actually change with a little time and effort.(and to some extent a dehumidifier)!!!
    Last edited by need an answer; 17-05-2019 at 2:10 PM.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • falcieri
    • By falcieri 17th May 19, 2:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    falcieri
    My general experience of Manchester having lived there for four years is if I can afford it it's not a good area. Avoid Ashton. Lots of problems there full stop with car crime, burglaries, violence etc. It looks like the nice areas are the ones you can't afford judging by what you have listed already.

I would avoid Reddish although the end nearer the golf course is a lot nicer than the other end. I've lived at both. But prices do change because of this. Same with Didsbury. I went to see a flat there a year or so ago and it was horrible and a horrible area but I would imagine the more expensive bit was a lot nicer. It's supposed to be a good area. I guess there are bad pockets in all districts.

I have been told Edgeley is very hit and miss. Chorlton is supposed to be a hip area but I think it's more pricey to live in and it has loads of hipster bars which pushes prices up.

I absolutely recommend renting for 6 months in the immediate area you want to buy in to be sure. I have lived in Denton for about 2 years now. Started out at one end which was lovely but I was in a houseshare, then got my own place at the other end and frankly I wish I had left the area. Lots of drugs, gangs of kids and motorbike theft. You need to be there living it 24 hrs a day to really get a feel for an area before you commit and if you're buying even more so.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 17th May 19, 2:17 PM
    • 23,227 Posts
    • 58,233 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Funny how you always hear about shootings and problems in other areas but never your own ... I certainly wouldn't want to live in Oldham or Shaw Nobody ever thinks in terms of moving into an area in the hope of making it better, but every decent person who moves in, replaces a scumbag who moves out.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 17th May 19, 7:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    Funny how you always hear about shootings and problems in other areas but never your own ... I certainly wouldn't want to live in Oldham or Shaw Nobody ever thinks in terms of moving into an area in the hope of making it better, but every decent person who moves in, replaces a scumbag who moves out.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I didn't mean it the way you've interpreted it. I am very aware of the shootings, drugs, crime etc. that happens in Oldham! Despite living in one of the parts a lot of people would avoid, I've never experienced problems myself (probably because I don't go out often) BUT trust me I am aware of everything that goes on and it's one of the main reasons I don't want to stay here.

The reason I was concerned about things going on in other areas i.e. Droylsden as it's more worrying when you aren't familiar with the area & honestly I just want a quiet life.
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 17th May 19, 7:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    Slightly off track,but why is mould a deal breaker?

I admit that sometimes it can be very offputting but actually if you know where and how the mould is forming its actually one of the easiest things to get rid of and clear.

I agree some mould and indeed damp can be costly to rectify but in many cases its often caused by lifestyle and the occupant not ventilating the property.
    Just because someone else suffers with mould doesn't always follow that you would experience it to and as I said sometimes just a few easy changes can make all the difference.

Even damp can be reasonably easily traced back to source and again doesn't always cost huge amounts to put right....

Its very unlikely if your budget is already tight and stretched that you will find the perfect property straight off,there will need to be compromises,but don't always be too critical of some things that you could actually change with a little time and effort.(and to some extent a dehumidifier)!!!
    Originally posted by need an answer
    I have an autoimmune disease so I get ill a lot especially when it's cold overnight or in a mouldy environment. If I get ill it usually takes me a lot longer to get better and too much stress makes me ill too.

I could deal with damp because like you said it doesn't always cost a lot to fix and I agree dehumidifiers could be very effective.

I agree with compromises though I have had to massively adjusted my expectations since I first started looking, I definitely overestimated what I could get with my budget
    • rlg3961
    • By rlg3961 17th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rlg3961
    My general experience of Manchester having lived there for four years is if I can afford it it's not a good area. Avoid Ashton. Lots of problems there full stop with car crime, burglaries, violence etc. It looks like the nice areas are the ones you can't afford judging by what you have listed already.

I would avoid Reddish although the end nearer the golf course is a lot nicer than the other end. I've lived at both. But prices do change because of this. Same with Didsbury. I went to see a flat there a year or so ago and it was horrible and a horrible area but I would imagine the more expensive bit was a lot nicer. It's supposed to be a good area. I guess there are bad pockets in all districts.

I have been told Edgeley is very hit and miss. Chorlton is supposed to be a hip area but I think it's more pricey to live in and it has loads of hipster bars which pushes prices up.

I absolutely recommend renting for 6 months in the immediate area you want to buy in to be sure. I have lived in Denton for about 2 years now. Started out at one end which was lovely but I was in a houseshare, then got my own place at the other end and frankly I wish I had left the area. Lots of drugs, gangs of kids and motorbike theft. You need to be there living it 24 hrs a day to really get a feel for an area before you commit and if you're buying even more so.
    Originally posted by falcieri
    Oh the joys of being an adult in this day and age. People I work with keep telling me about how they bought their houses for 8000 or 15000 it makes me so jealous. Good to know about Ashton... Yes that's definitely true. Most of the "posh" areas are completely unattainable for me.

Yes I agree, definitely good and bad in every area, every area has problems with crime just at different levels.

Yes I think I will definitely look into that, it's such a huge investment and I'm so scared of getting it wrong. My friend's mum bought a house and she's had so much trouble since buying it, she's had windows smashed etc. and can't afford to keep replacing them. That's a very good point about being there 24 hours a day though, I will keep that in mind.
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 17th May 19, 8:48 PM
    • 4,177 Posts
    • 2,749 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    Glossop - nice town my mate rides into Central Manchester most days. Or there’s the train.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 17th May 19, 8:59 PM
    • 18,848 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    ACG
    Eccles, the Peel Green end nearer to Salford City stadium than Eccles centre itself.
    Originally posted by BurnCK
    This could be a good shout, but I am not sure it is within budget?
    My dad lives in Peel Green and has done for 20 years and never had any issues.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

3,662Users online

Martin's Twitter