Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LWarwick
    • By LWarwick 16th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LWarwick
    Apprenticeship advice
    • 16th May 19, 2:45 PM
    Apprenticeship advice 16th May 19 at 2:45 PM
    I am currently working in retail and wanting to venture into a completely new career in administration but have poor grades with no experience what my question is this.

I have a 2 year old so I will need childcare and apprentice wage is really low so I won't be able to afford on my wage am 30 and I worked it out as between 125-150 a week on full time basis that will only cover maybe 3 days of childcare leaving me with no money to contribute towards bills my husband is on 2000 a month (on a good overtime month which is rare) but by the time he's paid the mortgage and bills alone is more than half of his wage not including everything in-between like food and car will leave very little was just wondering if there was any benefits I could request to help towards childcare that is a bit more realistic.

I've worked out that I won't get the full 30hour for 3 year school funding if I go down this route and the calculators for benefits are so confusing for me to understand, I am just finding out if there is anything out there that can help like childcare contributions vouchers etc
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    You don't have to go into a job with an apprenticeship wage.

Go to night school and pick up a couple of qualifications eg CLAIT /IBT (or whatever they are called now). And go in as an admin assistant.

Alternatively, look at your CV your experience, your hobbies and how much you know how to use IT packages eg windows / email / outlook and update your CV so it's tweaked as showing what you can bring as transferable skills.

Have a chat with a recruitment agent or two and see what they think you can go in as.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:17 PM
    Just to give you an idea, this is picked from a vacancy where no office experience is required:

Confident communication skills

IT literate with accurate input skills

Methodical approach with common sense

Attention to detail

Experienced working as part of a team

Experience using scanning equipment

Electronic and physical filing

How much of that can you already do because of being a mom and working in retail?

It's all about thinking outside the box (hate that phrase) and looking at job adverts to see what the common requirements are, how your experience can be transferred over to the role.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 16th May 19, 4:41 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 16th May 19, 4:41 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:41 PM
    Just in case the apprenticeship route is the way you want to go, you can pop details into the calculator on eneitledto website and see if there would be any benefits open to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

389Posts Today

3,598Users online

Martin's Twitter