Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackCork
    • By JackCork 16th May 19, 2:40 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 88Thanks
    JackCork
    Jobs you have done but would never want to do again?
    • 16th May 19, 2:40 PM
    Jobs you have done but would never want to do again? 16th May 19 at 2:40 PM
    What are they?

I would say working in a call centre simple
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 11,852 Posts
    • 10,309 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:48 PM
    Have you actually worked in a call centre and if so, for how long and why wouldn't you do it again?

I personally didn't enjoy being a lion tamer, thought accountancy was far less boring. But there you are, each to his own.

PS if anyone is considering being a lion tamer you can have my cap with Lion Tamer embroidered on it for free
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 16-05-2019 at 2:51 PM.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 16th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    marlot
    • 16th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:34 PM
    ...I personally didn't enjoy being a lion tamer, thought accountancy was far less boring....
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Your real name must be John Major!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 11,852 Posts
    • 10,309 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    I could be an Idle Eric!
    • billy_26032019
    • By billy_26032019 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    billy_26032019
    • 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    The worst job I ever had was with Jayne Mansfield.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th May 19, 3:57 PM
    • 11,852 Posts
    • 10,309 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th May 19, 3:57 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:57 PM
    Originally posted by billy_26032019
    I trust you weren't with her when that horrific fatal accident happened.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th May 19, 4:00 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 16th May 19, 4:00 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:00 PM
    The worst job I had was thinking up and writing inane questions for a public forum, however I believe the guy who took over from me loves it, he said its much better than working in a call centre, simple
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • lozzy81
    • By lozzy81 16th May 19, 4:02 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    lozzy81
    • 16th May 19, 4:02 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:02 PM
    I enjoyed the call center but would never do it again unless I was desperate as its quite soul destroying being spoken to like carp just for doing my job!
    Virtual sealed pot 2019 member #6
    £0.00/£200
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 4:42 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 4:42 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:42 PM
    I enjoyed the call center but would never do it again unless I was desperate as its quite soul destroying being spoken to like carp just for doing my job!
    Originally posted by lozzy81
    You fishing for sympathy......

(I will get my coat)
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 16th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Temping in a building of 240 people. (I did wonder how everyone sat down in not exactly the biggest building)

Never felt so alone. Job title irrelevant. Let's say it was one up on the Call Centre.

There was no company talk or induction given you were put to work immediately which was just frightful for an Insurance institution when you are put in an area you've never touched upon, someone said something awkward within 5 minutes of being there. Fortunately. It was starting to bring back sad old memories anyhow and that freaked me out as it wasn't the very last employer I left that I missed, the training support was far better at the call centre of this type of organisation.

I was also paying slightly for the privilege of going to work - £1.50 a day in car parking on top of fuel costs. It made me quickly determine if I would like to carry on
    and it made me want to chase for wages and not let them off. They had a go, timesheet conveniently took a week longer to be authorised.

It's not really about jobs I wouldn't do again, for me, it's the people (immediate colleagues) and working environment. Plus I really appreciate no messing with wages.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 16th May 19, 6:15 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    Definitely working in a call centre. Especially when you have to talk and type and follow a script and your calls are measured by KPI's. This means you cannot be on the call too long otherwise it affects your average scores. You feel like a battery hen and it is very soul-destroying.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 16th May 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    k3lvc
    What are they?

I would say working in a call centre simple
    Originally posted by JackCork

Writing meaningless questions on a web forum - maybe one day you'll get bored of it and see the light
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 16th May 19, 6:42 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 8,389 Thanks
    melanzana
    I worked as a teenager in Woolworths saturdays and school hols. No scanning then.
    Prices were on a big card in front of the items, had to memorise the price of everything on my watch! Exhausting, but great training all the same.

Then got a job in the local maternity hospital for the Summer before A levels. The milk was delivered in massive churns and I had to single handedly funnel the milk from churn to individual milk jugs for the ladies breakfasts. Got a strong back from that!

oh and I had to boil 50 eggs in a mahoosive pot too, and 100 slices of toast. No complaints, but I hadn’t a clue.

Then I went boring after University.
    • London50
    • By London50 16th May 19, 6:43 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    London50
    Writing meaningless questions on a web forum - maybe one day you'll get bored of it and see the light
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    Wishful thinking..... I can never see the poster getting a proper full time job that pulls them away from posting drivel on here,but we all live in hope
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th May 19, 8:04 AM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,452 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    I haven't minded any of the jobs I've done over the years. There may be a mentality when you're younger to think you're slogging your guts out seemingly for peanuts but as you grow up a job is a job at the end of the day and minimum wage acts as a floor. I started on £3.75 an hour as a 18 year old in 1999 and my next job ultimately paid me £4.25 an hour.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th May 19, 8:30 AM
    • 4,900 Posts
    • 4,602 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I haven't minded any of the jobs I've done over the years. There may be a mentality when you're younger to think you're slogging your guts out seemingly for peanuts but as you grow up a job is a job at the end of the day and minimum wage acts as a floor. I started on £3.75 an hour as a 18 year old in 1999 and my next job ultimately paid me £4.25 an hour.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I was getting £2.60 I think in 2002! And emergency tax on top.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,063 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Waitressing. On my feet all day, customers hungry/rude/indecisive, till bewildering (what training?!) and two buses away from home. Not well enough paid, so I took up agency child minding, & got paid to cat sit & do heavy cleaning. Which actually suited me far better, and paid loads better. (Oddly I now snarl & growl at cleaning as I recall getting money for it & yet my family think I Just Ought. So I suggest *They* Just Ought & either they do or they back away.)

Lion taming is for mothers who's children have left home & they're bored. (Mind you, I'd recruit them en masse for the armed forces - clothing provided along with meals etc you just have to make this lot see things your way... Who needs weapons when a determined matriarch is setting your feet on the paths of righteousness?)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 17-05-2019 at 9:45 AM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 17th May 19, 10:31 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 5,504 Thanks
    ohreally
    Ffs, forum poster bot. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=188174415&pp=25
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 17th May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Exodi
    I have to join the majority and say call centre.

About 10 years ago I worked for almost a month in a cold calling people about franking supplies, literally just working our way through the yellow pages. The script we had to use was worded in such a way that we implied we were their current supplier even though we weren't. Then when you capture an unsuspecting purchasing assistant, we made it very difficult to cancel once the goods were delivered.

So not only did you have to regularly deal with 'I'm the owner, you think you're going to pool the wool over my eyes? you're scum", you also had to deal with hearing about the purchasing assistants being reprimanded because of our antics...

Then there was the KPI's. Despite everyone reading the same script, if you didn't make at least 2 sales a day, you'd be dropped, no questions asked. I lasted around 4 weeks but soon hated going in and eventually left.
    Know what you don't
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th May 19, 11:55 AM
    • 6,560 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Originally posted by billy_26032019

ha ha, was this it, here's the video.

Warning, vid a wee bit naughty.
    Last edited by frugalmacdugal; 17-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Y'all take care now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

2,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin