Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lauralouuk2
    • By lauralouuk2 16th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lauralouuk2
    What to look for and what to offer?
    • 16th May 19, 2:34 PM
    What to look for and what to offer? 16th May 19 at 2:34 PM
    We are viewing this house tomorrow as first time buyers I am already in love with it as its the exact size, layout and location for us, but definitely not going to let the estate agent know this. Except for the damp on the living room ceiling is there anything else to look for? The asking price is 230,000, what would you offer and on what basis? Thank you in advance!!

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81424565.html
Page 1
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 16th May 19, 2:40 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    lewisa
    • 16th May 19, 2:40 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:40 PM
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81424565.html
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:21 PM
    Firstly I would be looking at this and seeing what the local properties went for and how they compare:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1526913& referrer=propertyDetails&referrerPropertyId=814245 65
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 3:31 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 3:31 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:31 PM
    I would then look at what room is above the leak, probably the bathroom and ask questions about what caused it, when it was repaired and any receipts to prove it.

At the front of the house I would be having a look behind the bush / bins and seeing how the wall looks.

Round the outside of the house look to see if the pointing (bits between the bricks) looks ok or if any is missing, whether there are cracks /movement (bricks don't line up). If so, check the corresponding interior wall. (This paragraph is the main bit)*

Go round the house and look at every wall/ ceiling and where they meet to see if everything looks ok.

Check interior and exterior windows to see if they look like they are sitting in the right place /any gaps. Open and close windows.

Check doors and woodwork to see how that looks.

Check inside cupboards and kitchen cupboards to see if there is any damage / faults / concerns.

Check if lights work.

When walking around listen out for creeks in the floorboards.

* Anything aside from this would not be a deal breaker.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 11,668 Posts
    • 15,578 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:37 PM
    Except for the damp on the living room ceiling is there anything else to look for?

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81424565.html
    Originally posted by lauralouuk2
    The bathroom is directly above. Looks like a leak. If the vendors are showing you around, ask them about it.

Not long on with these EAs (you'll have to check to see if it was on with any other before, or withdrawn from the market before), so check the vendor's position. If they haven't found somewhere to buy, they're unlikely to take a low offer. If they are desperate to sell to buy something they've fallen in love with, offer lower.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 16th May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:56 PM
    I'm going to ask the obvious question of "is it tenanted?
    Its got a tenant type feel to it either that or my goodness they haven't put much effort into tidying up things.
    Its a house that again I can see a previous listing for on zoopla and back in 2011 I cant help but think it looked a little bit better maintained.

Check the windows ...wood or not? ideally not. Wood do tend to have a shorter lifespan unless well maintained so that may be a factor to consider.

look at the kitchen with a critical eye...I always check for doors that open/close easily and that the carcass is not too flimsy...again if you are planning on replacing the kitchen its not much of an issue but if you do want to keep it make sure it functions as you need as its an area that is expensive if it needs immediate replacement.
    Im not sure if its the light but in the previous pictures the kitchen looks a light blue colour ...now its more of a cream colour...check if they have done a "self paint" as the units look the same.
    Last edited by need an answer; 16-05-2019 at 4:08 PM.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

6,148Users online

Martin's Twitter