Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 1:28 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    louise lawler
    Title Plan Boundary Error Land Registry
    • 16th May 19, 1:28 PM
    Title Plan Boundary Error Land Registry 16th May 19 at 1:28 PM
    Help. I recently applied for an extension to the side of my property, when the planning office pointed out the land we've applied to extend on isn't under our ownership on our title plan. Unfortunately we failed to pick this up when we purchased the property in 2007. The solicitor has investigated the case and advised the land is showing in our possession under our title number. I sent a letter to the Land Registry pointing out the difference between the mapsearch and the title deeds along with the plan from the first registration in 1986. But it has come apparent that the plan in 1986 was incorrect too as the fence line does not run in a square formation and they missed a section off. There is a walkway alongside my fence line for neighbours access to the rear of their gardens and this is apparent on the plan in 1986 this was all it was every intended to be but by removing the land from my ownership lends this walkway to be an extra 2.5m in depth. The Land Registry are not accepting this is as an error.

Initially I was advised to apply for adverse possession but my solicitor has advised this ordinarily applied for if the land is unregistered or registered to someone else but it is showing as in my possession.

I just need answers how to resolve this as its been 6/7 weeks now.

Thanks for any assistance
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 19, 1:34 PM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 19, 1:34 PM
    • 16th May 19, 1:34 PM
    I think images would be a big help here.
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 3:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    • 16th May 19, 3:00 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:00 PM
    It won't let me add a link for photos as a new member and doesn't appear to give me another option to include photos. But agree it would help immensely
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 3:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    • 16th May 19, 3:05 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:05 PM
    photos.app.goo.gl/NKAabn2PySzDuMrf8

Here's the link

Slightly confusing that the house and plot number changed. Plot 70 but our door number is number 69.
    Last edited by louise lawler; 16-05-2019 at 3:09 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 19, 4:49 PM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 19, 4:49 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:49 PM

I think I can see the discrepancy - the little rectangular bit stops about level with the curved edge in the more detailed one, but continues past it on the other. Comparing the two, it looks like the detailed one has the hashed section split evenly between the two plots either side, while the less detailed one would seem to have the whole of the hash "yours". Right?

I'm guessing that's a parking space, and the hashed bit is the driveway section - so no really important difference there. I can't figure any difference in the main house plot, though...
    Last edited by AdrianC; 16-05-2019 at 4:52 PM.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    Is the planning officer basing their decision on the location/block plan you submitted with the application?

I've never known a planning officer go to the trouble to independently check a copy of the title plan at the Land Registry. Technically you do not need to own the land to submit an application or provide any proof of ownership. It is just a declaration you make that you own it or that you have notified the owners if you do not own it.
    • Alan2020
    • By Alan2020 16th May 19, 5:45 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Alan2020
    • 16th May 19, 5:45 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:45 PM
    I donít know if I am missing something but looking at the house from the road, both diagrams show the front being wider, and goes narrow on the left side giving a big access to neighbours on the left. This may be a new build and planning officer might be the same and had perhaps requested larger rear access for the properties and remembered it.
    Unless the op takes a real picture of his house I donít see any difference.
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    • 16th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:46 PM
    The complex version is from first registration in 1986 then they simplified them to the other version. The issue I have is with the boundary line down the side of my property I donít own the extra land and planning wonít approve my application to extend on it. Whilst it doesnít appear a significant amount it is 2.7m in width.

The walkway and the surrounding neighbourhood are as expected so we are not impacting them. But canít understand why land registry canít accept that this is a simple drawing issue.

Equally they havenít advised how to fix it. Been consulting solicitor but fed up of waiting days on end everytime for responses.

I have been very patient the last 7 weeks and starting to ware thin
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    • 16th May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:59 PM
    As we thought we owned the land the application was processed under that category. One of the neighbours put in an objection so they started to question the size of the walkway and stumbled across the land not being in our possession.
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 6:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    The plans don’t show the scale. But effectively if our fence line ran from the side of our property like our title deeds, it would make the walkway over 10ft wide
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 6:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    Reading your comments back it doesn’t appear the difference is completely obvious. The land in question is to the east side of my house. The small walkway at the rear is correct and should then follow in the same proportion down the side but with the line where it is. It is lending the walkway an extra 8ft
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 19, 6:35 PM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Looking at the lower border (the undetached side of the house) in the more detailed pic, I'm fairly sure I can just about see a bit of bleed from the red line to the upper side of the shaded bit - which would make it consistent with the less-detailed one.
    • Alan2020
    • By Alan2020 16th May 19, 8:06 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Alan2020
    Reading your comments back it doesnít appear the difference is completely obvious. The land in question is to the east side of my house. The small walkway at the rear is correct and should then follow in the same proportion down the side but with the line where it is. It is lending the walkway an extra 8ft
    Originally posted by louise lawler
    It would be most helpful if you put an actual picture, as I don't know where your east or west is on the uploaded picture.

The hatched area running between your house and the neighbours to the left of the house, up till 71 its full width including the hatched area. From 72 to 74, the hatched area belongs to your neighbour as per the red line on the detailed plan. Is this not what you are asking? So for pretty obvious reasons it will most probably belong to another neighbour or council if adopted, so yes I am sure the planning officer won't let you build on council land. Sorry if I am mistaken.
    • louise lawler
    • By louise lawler 16th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    louise lawler
    photos.app.goo.gl/NKAabn2PySzDuMrf8

I have added the mapsearch (green blocked out) this shows the fenced area and what is reported under our title. The front of our property (curved) is north facing.

The rear line differs between the mapsearch and my title deed. I have no intention of extending of the hatched area but within the area marked in green that we possess
    • markin
    • By markin 17th May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    markin
    To the scale how wide is the walkway meant to be? are the any measurements on the deeds?
    • Mike1955
    • By Mike1955 17th May 19, 10:33 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mike1955
    sorry can not set up a new thread , so if you could help . Our extension was built 25 years ago now approx 3mtrs. we have new neighbours move in recently and they say our footings are on their property and want us to remove our extension . Does anyone know what can be done .Any help welcome .
    P.S.sorry could not open my own thread
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 19, 10:55 AM
    • 28,105 Posts
    • 99,433 Thanks
    Davesnave
    sorry can not set up a new thread , so if you could help .
    Originally posted by Mike1955
    No one will help you if you barge into other people's threads like this.

Go to this link and click the red button at the top right of the list of threads. It's marked 'New Thread.' This will start a thread for you.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16
    Last edited by Davesnave; 17-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Mike1955
    • By Mike1955 17th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mike1955
    No sign of new thread symbol
    I am sorry but there us no sign of new thread Help
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 28,105 Posts
    • 99,433 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Mike; Don't worry, if you go to the top of the page there is a section on the right marked 'Forum Help' Click that to see how posting works.
    I have just worked out that you will be using the newer version of the forum, so colours and positions of things will be different from what I'm seeing on the old version.

On the new version, the thread starting button isn't blue, it's red.
    Sorry about that. Those of us who have been here a long time can use a different, cranky old forum skin we're used to.

If you are still having problems, try to contact one of the board guides, like Silvercar, who may be able to help.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 17-05-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • hb2
    • By hb2 17th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    hb2
    I am sorry but there us no sign of new thread Help
    Originally posted by Mike1955
    On my screen it is a red square at the top left of the list of topics. Trying to answer 2 completely different questions in the same thread is confusing and leads to the wrong advice being given/taken.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,831Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter