Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sophiasmum
    • By sophiasmum 16th May 19, 1:24 PM
    • 759Posts
    • 3,065Thanks
    sophiasmum
    Renting a property /Council Tax
    • 16th May 19, 1:24 PM
    Renting a property /Council Tax 16th May 19 at 1:24 PM
    Sorry - if wrong forum! Ive had a look. Inherited a property 18 months ago and for last 12 months have been renovating it. We had 6 months council tax free due to bereavement and then 12 months exempt as unoccupied/unfurnished and no toilet etc. Now started to pay full council tax even though we've got about another 6 months worth of work... (Doing it ourselves while working) Is there definitely no other exemption we can claim? Cant even benefit from single person occupancy as no one living there and registered as unoccupied for water etc.

thanks in advance
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 16th May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 16th May 19, 1:30 PM
    You would need to check if any further exemptions were available with the particular council involved,sadly there isn't a standard but I will say you've done very well to get the exemption you've had. Where I live the unoccupied but under renovation work exemption finished 5 years ago.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • CIS
    • By CIS 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    CIS
    • 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:51 PM
    Sorry - if wrong forum! Ive had a look. Inherited a property 18 months ago and for last 12 months have been renovating it. We had 6 months council tax free due to bereavement and then 12 months exempt as unoccupied/unfurnished and no toilet etc. Now started to pay full council tax even though we've got about another 6 months worth of work... (Doing it ourselves while working) Is there definitely no other exemption we can claim? Cant even benefit from single person occupancy as no one living there and registered as unoccupied for water etc.

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by sophiasmum

England, Scotland or Wales ?
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 16th May 19, 3:54 PM
    • 7,931 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 16th May 19, 3:54 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:54 PM

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by sophiasmum

you should be aware some councils charge extra tax after a certain period.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 16th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    CIS
    • 16th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:27 PM
    If the property is in England and has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 2 years or more then a premium of 100% can be applied to the council tax.

Similar provisions exists in Scotland and Wales.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • dotchas
    • By dotchas 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 3,440 Thanks
    dotchas
    • 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:04 PM
    One council wanted to charge us double after our exemption ran out. We said it was a second/holiday home and had to stay there once or twice a month, then they charged us the going rate. You are lucky if they are not adding extra on.
    I love bargains
    I love MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

2,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin