Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 16th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 5Thanks
    BurnCK
    Tenancy Renewal fees
    • 16th May 19, 12:27 PM
    Tenancy Renewal fees 16th May 19 at 12:27 PM
    Hi,
    My current tenancy agreement ran out on 12th April but I hadn't been asked to sign a new one by the Letting Agent until today when I have received an email from them saying I need to renew and asking for 175 renewal fee.
    I am aware that in 2 weeks time Tenancy Fees will be banned, so I'm a bit reluctant to pay it. Would renewing on/after 1st June mean I don't have to pay anything?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th May 19, 12:32 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 16th May 19, 12:32 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:32 PM
    If your agreement "ran out"on 12th April you would now not be on a fixed term tenancy,it would have automatically become a periodic rolling tenancy.
    The usual criteria for this would be the LL needs to give you 2 months notice to leave,you need to provide 1 months notice of your intention to leave.

no need as I see it for a tenancy renewal fee.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 16th May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 16th May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:38 PM
    As has been said, you’re now on a period tenancy. If you decide you want a fixed term tenancy then you won’t have to pay the fee if you wait until June.
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 16th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BurnCK
    • 16th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:50 PM
    OK thanks for the replies. Fixed term would be better for my security I guess, but at the same time I don't think I'd have an issue finding somewhere else in 2 months if I had to.

If I did want another Fixed Term, what would you recommend? Ignoring the request until after 1st June (I could be on holiday for all they know)? Contacting them to advise I want to stay Periodic and then look at a new Fixed term after 1st June? Or speak to them and negotiate the price to something reasonable based on the upcoming ban (I'd have no problem paying less than 50, but not 175)?

I just don't want to cause problems for myself if I don't have, i.e. I'd like to stay where I am and don't want to be given my notice just because I wouldn't sign a new Fixed Term before June 1st.

Thanks
    Last edited by BurnCK; 16-05-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 1:06 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 1:06 PM
    • 16th May 19, 1:06 PM
    A fixed term or rolling, neither are security and under both you can still receive a section 21 notice to leave, followed by court proceedings to evict you.

Stick with your periodic and don't worry about renewing /paying fees!
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 16th May 19, 1:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BurnCK
    • 16th May 19, 1:09 PM
    • 16th May 19, 1:09 PM
    A fixed term or rolling, neither are security and under both you can still receive a section 21 notice to leave, followed by court proceedings to evict you.

Stick with your periodic and don't worry about renewing /paying fees!
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

Excuse my ignorance, but how so? I thought a fixed term could only be broken before the end date if there was a break clause?

And should I inform the letting agent I want to stay on Periodic? I know they can't force me to sign another Fixed Term, but also don't want to end up receiving notice because I'm ignoring them. I guess that's down to the LL though and not the agent...
    Last edited by BurnCK; 16-05-2019 at 1:12 PM.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 16th May 19, 1:37 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    cashmonger
    • 16th May 19, 1:37 PM
    • 16th May 19, 1:37 PM
    OK thanks for the replies. Fixed term would be better for my security I guess, but at the same time I don't think I'd have an issue finding somewhere else in 2 months if I had to.

If I did want another Fixed Term, what would you recommend? Ignoring the request until after 1st June (I could be on holiday for all they know)? Contacting them to advise I want to stay Periodic and then look at a new Fixed term after 1st June? Or speak to them and negotiate the price to something reasonable based on the upcoming ban (I'd have no problem paying less than 50, but not 175)?

I just don't want to cause problems for myself if I don't have, i.e. I'd like to stay where I am and don't want to be given my notice just because I wouldn't sign a new Fixed Term before June 1st.

Thanks
    Originally posted by BurnCK
    Look on my profile and you will see I made a very similar post the month or so ago. Don't let the agents bully you. All answers will be in that thread.
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 16th May 19, 3:55 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BurnCK
    • 16th May 19, 3:55 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:55 PM
    Look on my profile and you will see I made a very similar post the month or so ago. Don't let the agents bully you. All answers will be in that thread.
    Originally posted by cashmonger
    Thank you, I'll have a look
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 16th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:31 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, but how so? I thought a fixed term could only be broken before the end date if there was a break clause?

And should I inform the letting agent I want to stay on Periodic? I know they can't force me to sign another Fixed Term, but also don't want to end up receiving notice because I'm ignoring them. I guess that's down to the LL though and not the agent...
    Originally posted by BurnCK
    England /Wales are (or have) changing the rules about evictions,.

The agents can't serve notice, the landlord can.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 16th May 19, 5:13 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 2,298 Thanks
    giraffe69
    If you respond to the agent and start talking about a periodic tenancy expect them to nag you and tell you inaccuracies (even, heaven forfend the odd lie). No sensible landlord will wish to evict if you are a good tenant who keeps up to date with the rent so no reason to pay their silly fee.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th May 19, 8:11 PM
    • 48,017 Posts
    • 58,776 Thanks
    G_M
    Read

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

If you want to stay on a periodic, then nopoint responding and getting into an endless pressured exchange. Ignore.

If you want a fixed term security, wait till June 1st. And remember it does not have to be the same terms:
    * want 6 months?
    * prefer 12?
    * or 24?
    * want a Break Clause (eg after 6months out o 12)
    * want a lower rent because local rents are typically lower?

ASK. NEGOTIATE!
    • BurnCK
    • By BurnCK 17th May 19, 6:42 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BurnCK
    OK thanks for the replies.

I'll just ignore the agent for now and contact them on June 1st at which point I'll probably do another AST. Considering my last AST ran until April they clearly haven't been bothered about me being on periodic for the last month or they'd have contacted me sooner...so it's obviously just an attempt to get one last fee out of me.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th May 19, 8:16 AM
    • 7,920 Posts
    • 8,797 Thanks
    Comms69
    England /Wales are (or have) changing the rules about evictions,.

The agents can't serve notice, the landlord can.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    literally this is incorrect.

a s.21 can be served during a fixed term, but cannot be acted upon until after it ends.

Whether it's served by the agent; the landlord; the landlords, neighbours, cats's cousin's hairdresser.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

6,694Users online

Martin's Twitter