Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DianaD
    • By DianaD 16th May 19, 12:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DianaD
    Damage to car in car park
    • 16th May 19, 12:22 PM
    Damage to car in car park 16th May 19 at 12:22 PM
    I parked my car in a car park on a small industrial estate. I drove into a designated parking space and found that my bumper was up against an approx. 30cm high small tree stump on the edge of the parking bay but situated in front of the post and rail fence I was using as a guide to how far I went in. The tarmac is crumbling away on the edge of the parking bay with weeds present so they could say that the stump isn't within the bay. However other cars in adjacent bays were parked further forward, closer to the post and rail fence. Damage to my bumper. Called the landlords who have said I parked at my own risk so won't consider. No signage in the car park stating you park at your own risk. I feel that this is negligence on their part as the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    You drove into a 30cm high tree stump, and it's somebody else's fault...?

Can we presume the stump was static, and didn't leap out in front of you?

"But I couldn't see it, my car was too low" is a lousy excuse. There may have been somebody having a lie-down in the parking space. Would you have driven over them?
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    UncleZen
    You drove into a tree stump and you want someone to compensate you for your mistake - seriously?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 16th May 19, 12:25 PM
    • 7,894 Posts
    • 8,754 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 16th May 19, 12:25 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:25 PM
    Absolutely your fault.

And there's no chance you'd miss a foot high stump.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th May 19, 12:37 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th May 19, 12:37 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:37 PM
    I parked my car in a car park on a small industrial estate. I drove into a designated parking space and found that my bumper was up against an approx. 30cm high small tree stump on the edge of the parking bay but situated in front of the post and rail fence I was using as a guide to how far I went in. The tarmac is crumbling away on the edge of the parking bay with weeds present so they could say that the stump isn't within the bay. However other cars in adjacent bays were parked further forward, closer to the post and rail fence. Damage to my bumper. Called the landlords who have said I parked at my own risk so won't consider. No signage in the car park stating you park at your own risk. I feel that this is negligence on their part as the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?
    Originally posted by DianaD
    Your insurance details? They may wish to claim for any damage you've caused to their property.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th May 19, 2:18 PM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th May 19, 2:18 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:18 PM
    Not following the "I drive a low car so didn't see it." I drive a low car, I'm more likely to see something like that than in my Mondeo.

As others have said you've not a hope in hell. It is hardly like a 1ft high probably at least as wide if not wider tree stump is going to be invisible.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 16th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:30 PM
    the tree stump wasn't visible driving in (I have a low car so didn't see it) and shouldn't be there. Is there anything I can go back to them with?

A chain saw?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 13,501 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 16th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:56 PM
    A booster seat?

Sorry, but I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it - regardless of what height your car is. Presumably your car didn't fall from the sky to land 1 ft in front of it.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th May 19, 9:00 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th May 19, 9:00 PM
    • 16th May 19, 9:00 PM
    A booster seat?

Sorry, but I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it - regardless of what height your car is. Presumably your car didn't fall from the sky to land 1 ft in front of it.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Quite. Presumably OP can't see road markings from her driver's seat, either. I'm amazed she could see the bay to park in it at all. Let's not even ask about zebra crossings, box junctions, give way markings...
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th May 19, 2:29 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Shirley this is a wind up?
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 17th May 19, 6:18 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Scrapit
    You should go back with an apology
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,621 Thanks
    agrinnall
    More importantly, how much damage did you cause to the tree stump?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th May 19, 8:11 AM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I suggest OP calls in Special Branch to establish the root cause. It's stumped me.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 17th May 19, 9:31 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    reeac
    Obstructive tree stumps in car parks must be fairly unusual but some big car parks have low tubular guards around lamp posts which intrude quite a way into marked out spaces. Worth watching out for although I've never hit one yet.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 17th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Geodark
    hahaha, awesome - sums up in one post whats wrong with people today - they screw up and want to know how to make it someone elses fault.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 17th May 19, 11:55 AM
    • 4,128 Posts
    • 2,419 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    OK OK lads, 14 posts of slating the OP so I think they will get the message - they probably wont be back.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 12:01 PM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,621 Thanks
    agrinnall
    ...lads...
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat

That's a bit genderist isn't it? While I am a "lad" there must surely be a possibility that some of the other posters are "ladettes" or "alternatively gendered persons".

• DianaD
    • By DianaD 19th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DianaD
    Haha so you all expect small tree stumps when you park in a designated space - that’s the amusing thing!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 19, 7:29 AM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Haha so you all expect small tree stumps when you park in a designated space - thatís the amusing thing!
    So if you see a tree stump, but don't expect it to be there, it must be a figment of your fevered imagination, so it's OK to just drive into where it seems to be but isn't really?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 19th May 19, 10:40 AM
    • 13,501 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Haha so you all expect small tree stumps when you park in a designated space - thatís the amusing thing!
    In other words, you weren't looking where you were going and/or turned into the space too fast.

Would it have mattered if it was a cat, dog, child, high kerb, bollard etc instead of a tree stump? You say you didn't see it so surely the fact that its a tree stump is irrelevant?

No matter, even ignoring the fact it was a tree stump (and a tree stump located at the edge rather than in the middle of the space), I would have been anticipating the possibility of an obstruction of some sort.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,852Posts Today

6,724Users online

Martin's Twitter