Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • studentlauren
    • By studentlauren 16th May 19, 11:55 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    studentlauren
    Paying Summer Rent
    • 16th May 19, 11:55 AM
    Paying Summer Rent 16th May 19 at 11:55 AM
    I will be moving into my new accommodation for the 2019/2020 academic year in September but have had to pay rent for the accommodation during summer even though I'm not allowed to live there. I have to stay at uni over the summer so am essentially paying rent for two bedrooms.

The accommodation company have said I pay this to reserve the accommodation over summer and so that they cannot rent it out over summer but I want them to rent it out over summer... to me!

Essentially I am paying 145 a week for a room I don't even have access to, I can't even store my stuff there. Is this legal?
Page 1
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th May 19, 7:00 PM
    • 9,456 Posts
    • 13,830 Thanks
    meer53
    • 16th May 19, 7:00 PM
    • 16th May 19, 7:00 PM
    Seems so, my daughter also has to pay Summer Rent. Standard practice I think, My daughter can move some of her stuff in when she gets the keys on July 1st but only stuff that will fit on her bed as the cleaners still need access apparently.

Why are you staying at Uni over the summer ? My daughter has to be out of her Halls on June 1st so doesn't have to pay after that, is staying at Uni your choice ?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 18,636 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:06 AM
    Have you signed a contact for next year's accommodation? If not then you have the option to try to find somewhere else that will allow you to stay whenever you like.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 162,685 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    Is this a private let?

Standard student landlord practice. They charge over the Summer otherwise you risk them letting the property to another group of students.

The other option would have been to find a rental where you are allowed to stay over the Summer.
    • piggy_bank
    • By piggy_bank 21st May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    piggy_bank
    • 21st May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 21st May 19, 1:53 PM
    I'm not surprised that you're paying rent over summer, most contracts start and end in July, but stunned that you're not allowed access to it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,598Posts Today

5,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin