Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnnaTT
    • By AnnaTT 16th May 19, 11:24 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    AnnaTT
    Investing from abroad
    • 16th May 19, 11:24 AM
    Investing from abroad 16th May 19 at 11:24 AM
    Hi,

I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

Thanks in advance, Anna
    Last edited by AnnaTT; 16-05-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: information
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 16th May 19, 11:37 AM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 15,944 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 16th May 19, 11:37 AM
    • 16th May 19, 11:37 AM

Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!
    Originally posted by AnnaTT
    No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.
    • AnnaTT
    • By AnnaTT 16th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AnnaTT
    • 16th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 16th May 19, 11:53 AM
    There's stacks of 'Nomad Traders' investing from all over the world in various entities
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th May 19, 12:10 PM
    • 13,019 Posts
    • 8,945 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th May 19, 12:10 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:10 PM
    No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99

I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 13,019 Posts
    • 8,945 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:14 PM
    Hi,

I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

Thanks in advance, Anna

Spain has a well-developed financial sector, so just use a broker or 'platform' that serves Spanish investors.

Alternatively, look for a 'platform' that serves expatriates: when I lived in Africa I invested with Luxemburg-based Internaxx, but their fees now are rather high. Or look carefully at De Giro and decide whether their shortcomings would actually make any difference to you.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 15,944 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:24 PM
    I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one.

I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.
    • AnnaTT
    • By AnnaTT 16th May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AnnaTT
    • 16th May 19, 1:25 PM
    Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one.

I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99
    Last edited by AnnaTT; 16-05-2019 at 1:31 PM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th May 19, 1:25 PM
    • 29,454 Posts
    • 17,935 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.aesinternational.com/blog/4-best-investment-platforms-for-expats

may be worth a look.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th May 19, 2:27 PM
    • 13,019 Posts
    • 8,945 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th May 19, 2:27 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:27 PM
    Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99

Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.
    • jimsurrey
    • By jimsurrey 16th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimsurrey
    Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.
    Hardly 'exceptional provocation'. Further superiority complex on your part I'd say.

Yes I agree Anna, not particularly pleasant. Just joined myself. I know what you mean regarding the legality. As to whether it's allowed in essence. I know Hargreaves Lansdown and the like won't allow you to use them. I used Interactive Brokers while abroad. Good luck
    • AnnaTT
    • By AnnaTT 16th May 19, 3:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AnnaTT
    Thanks a lot Jim! I checked them out - looks good. I really appreciate your reply
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 16th May 19, 6:49 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    AnnaTT is clearly marked as a new user.

Furthermore, her or his question was perfectly reasonable.

I don't agree that there was an excuse.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,831Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter