Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 16th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 918Posts
    • 341Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    0 WOW
    Holiday Village type holiday for kids
    • 16th May 19, 9:06 AM
    0 WOW
    Holiday Village type holiday for kids 16th May 19 at 9:06 AM
    We are contemplating taking the two grandkids, (who'll be 6 going on 7 and 5 and a half) to a holiday village type establishment next Easter or Summer, depending on when their parents can get off work.

On the local train we passed the Hotel World Polynesia complex which is situated between Fuengirola and Benalmedena on Costa del Sol recently, this appeared ideal.

Must be geared up for childrens' activities to keep them interested and occupied - and not located too far out in the countryside making travel into local resorts etc. a tiresome logistical exercise.

AI for the kids, with decent food.

Looking for recommendations on similar set ups - short haul.
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 16th May 19, 12:45 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Westin
    • 16th May 19, 12:45 PM
    • 16th May 19, 12:45 PM
    I don't know the complex but I recall it being featured on a TV series a year or so back. You might find episodes on YouTube or similar so you can see what it was like and if it still appeals.
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/aug/05/the-secret-life-of-the-holiday-resort-review-channel-4
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 16th May 19, 2:20 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    • 16th May 19, 2:20 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:20 PM
    I went to the holiday village featured on that programme, and they must have scoured the holiday makers to pick people who were common as muck to feature. It didn't seem full of chavs or anything. There was a broad range of people. I did go in the summer holidays though so it was a bit more expensive.

Good points were the water park attached, that was good. The deco looked nice and rooms were large for myself and my son. The entertainment on an evening was great fun, something for young and old. There was various things going on around the pool during the day including an inflatable assault course, games etc. Benalmedena was lovely, the harbour area looked very modern and glamorous with huge yachts. The transfers were easy too.

Ok things were the food and drinks. It was buffet style but there was an al la carte onsite which was extra I think. I remember thinking some things were just weird, and I've a broad palate, but there was still plenty of choice and they had theme nights. The snacks around the pool were put out at a certain time, with not a lot of choice and a bit repetitive.

Bad points were the people putting towels on sun beds at 5am. The hotel pool being cleared generally once every couple of day because of accidents, such as a child being sick. The pool would be shut for a couple of hours when this happened.

All in all, my son loved this holiday. He was about 8 when we went. I enjoyed it too.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 16th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    • 16th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:54 PM
    Now I'll write about my suggestions. When my son was about 3 we went to a camp site in Italy called Pra Della Torri. It's classed as a luxury camp site because it has various pools and clubs, but the thing that stood out for me was the fair type thing it has. You paid one price per child per evening and they could go on anything, including various bouncy castles, ball pits etc. Their was plenty for younger children to do like Wendy houses to play in etc too. If you google images you will see plenty of different pics of what there is at the site.

I've recently been looking at holidays for my son as he is a tween, so too old for kids club, and too scared of teenager adrenaline activities lol and I found suggestions for camps in France, particularly one called prairies de la mer, but I'm also looking at Sanguli campsite. This is just near Salou so near enough to spend a day or evening there. Salou was very nice the last time I went but that was nearly 12 years ago now as my son was 3 months old (how time has flown by). It had a picturesque promenade and things like mini golf for children. The camp itself has direct access to the beach, (as do all the sites I've mentioned) it is very near Portaventura, which is a short bus ride away, and the transfer from Reus Airport is short, plus again, it has plenty for children to do.

With this being a campsite you pay per van so it can be very reasonable for parties the size of yours, but you will lose that gain in paying for food and drinks. There are supermarkets onsite so you can shop savvy enough. You are also not restricted to times and can be a lot more casual, such as having a relaxed bbq outside your van, while the children play together. The main bad point is no room service to sweep up the sand lol. I think this type of holiday suits children slightly more than adults lol. I quite fancy it though so might take the leap. It's whether I can go without the little luxuries.

My other thought has been Centre Parcs but in the Netherlands, called De Kempervennen. This is a lot cheaper than the U.K. sites and is good for travelling too. With all the extra that they charge for though, the price soon mounts up and is only really for short breaks I'd say.

Anyway, hope my posts have helped.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,696Posts Today

6,883Users online

Martin's Twitter